collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Riddle me this?  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Riddle me this?
« on: March 13, 2017, 04:37:55 PM »
So, I have found myself in the rather fortunate position to be in possession of two very lovely So Soft Satin n Laces...

I've had one girl for a while. The other, arrived recently after an ebay gamble paid off (love that when that happens, lol!). Anyway, I had intended to move one of the girls on; which one that would be would depend on condition of course. So I finally pulled out my collection girl (all my ponies are unhappily in storage) and was surprised to find quite a stark difference between them!

Look for yourself, and the photos unfortunately don't highlight enough the different colouration.

What do you think is going on here? I would be really interested in opinions/discussion?

I don't believe it's a variation - perhaps as simple as a different batch?

My first thought was yellowed glue on my original girl (the pinker one is the new one) BUT the vinyl itself is a different colour - check out the pics. Original girl seems slightly redder in the vinyl. New girl's vinyl is bang on the same as my Magenta girl (who I am also lucky enough to own.)

So, fading then? But how can it be, when they both have such lovely pink hair!!??  :lol: :lol:

What do you reckon?

And who would you keep? Both are similar in condition - pinker girl's main flaw is a blimmin divot in the flocking on her back - argh! But original girl has a rub to her ear and worse loss along the hoof tips. Or, should I take advantage of my situation and keep both? Would you?!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kasin

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Studio BMFC
Re: Riddle me this?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 05:46:03 PM »
the glue for the flocking yellowed on the one on the left is my guess.

Offline Marlin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 06:37:40 PM »
That's certainly something I considered, but it's the colour of the vinyl and 'supposed' lack of fading that's got me curious. I think there probably is some yellowing in original girl, but not enough to account for the vast difference between the two :)

Now that I think of it, I am sure I have seen some 'redder' coloured Magenta's on ebay now and then (not as purply pink as others). So perhaps this is batch variety? Anyone got pics of their ponies to compare?

Offline kasin

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Studio BMFC
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 06:58:30 PM »
The photos of the legs I assume are the lighter pink one? from the photos it looks like her inner legs are the same color as the darker pink one?

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 08:10:30 PM »
It could just be a difference in the color of the plastic.  I have a couple of So-Soft Buttons and one is a darker purple than the other underneath the flocking.  I know because they both have slight rubs in different places (ear and edges of the feet) but neither is faded nor is the glue yellowed in any way (that I can tell).  It's just that the base pony color is different.  If they weren't boxed up right now I'd get a picture to show you.

From the pictures of the rubs, it looks like one of your ponies has a more purply-pink plastic and the other is more red-pink. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 08:13:37 PM by Pokeyonekenobie »

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 08:18:34 PM »
I have collecting issues, so I would keep both, but if absolutely forced, I would pick the one on the right. I personally am drawn to less yellow shades. But, I say they are different enough and in good enough condition to have good reason to keep both.

The plastic color being different is very interesting. It has to be another batch or something, right? The flocking shouldn't allow it to fade so evenly and the hair to too lovely to look like any sort of fading to me, but I'm no expert.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 10:18:18 PM »
I think its glue troubles i had a partially deflocked satin and lace, i brought her with the intent to finish her but her head body mismatch is terrible, many many shades apart in difference her body is more pink in colour her head more purple in colour

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 06:16:00 AM »
I have one thats more faded on the left but shes the only one I have. Your lucky. I would pick the one on the right. The best collectors advice I have from someone else is it is always how the body of the pony looks. If the body looks great the rest of the issues maybe able to be fixed. Though with so soft yellowing of the glue there is not a cure I know of.

Offline Marlin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 01:30:01 PM »
The photos of the legs I assume are the lighter pink one? from the photos it looks like her inner legs are the same color as the darker pink one?

They are individual leg pics - the first is the (new) pinker girl, the second my original girl. If you look at the flocking rub along the hoof edge you can see the different colour in the base vinyl :)

I think its glue troubles i had a partially deflocked satin and lace, i brought her with the intent to finish her but her head body mismatch is terrible, many many shades apart in difference her body is more pink in colour her head more purple in colour

How interesting re the vast difference!

Well, there seems a variety of opinion - thank you all for your input, everyone  ^.^  I need to have a hard think about whether or not I really need two of them or need the cash more!  :P

Offline Nappercasper

• Oh Happy Tails
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 01:52:20 PM »
Perhaps the pinker girl has regrind.

Offline Marlin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 08:10:45 PM »
Perhaps the pinker girl has regrind.

Thanks but no, I don't think so. I'm familiar with regrind and that's not what it is, I'm pretty sure. The pinker girl's vinyl is identical in colour to my magenta girl.

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 12:04:08 PM »
I have no explanation for the difference, but I'd definitely keep the one on the right. :) But then again, I can't stand yellowing.

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 12:56:21 PM »
How lucky are you with two beautiful Satin n Lace ponies!  They both look lovely and I can cast no further advice about their differences than those above me already have - so I will just say, if you have to keep only one, let it be the girl on the right :lovey:

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 01:04:28 PM »
Didn't Satin n' Lace actually come in two colors? Or am I thinking of someone else  :blink:
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 05:42:08 PM »
I would say that maybe they were the results of two separate batches, resulting in pigment differences. You know how sometimes ponies have heads and bodies with two different colors? I would say this may be the same kind of scenario.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal