collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Therapy Dogs and Yorkies?  (Read 693 times)

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
Therapy Dogs and Yorkies?
« on: March 11, 2017, 09:39:13 PM »
Hi guys,
A some of you know, I have Lupus and have difficulty with pain and immobility.  For a few years now, I have been pondering the idea of getting a therapy dog.  This week I made the decision to get serious about it and do all the research and find out if I could make it work.  I still have to figure out what dogs give me allergies and stuff, but I am getting excited.  I was wondering if any of you have therapy dogs or Yorkshire Terriers?  I would love a Yorkie and I know they can be therapy dogs.  Thanks!
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Therapy Dogs and Yorkies?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 09:54:59 PM »
My mom (who also has lupus/pain/immobility issues) actually has a Yorkie for a therapy dog. She's a tiny little teacup one who could curl up in my hands.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 09:48:21 AM »
im not sure--but I know I feel a bit better when im around dogs...particularly smaller toy breeds like a shih Tzu or shih Tzu mix :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline BethyVic

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 04:30:39 PM »
My mom (who also has lupus/pain/immobility issues) actually has a Yorkie for a therapy dog. She's a tiny little teacup one who could curl up in my hands.
That is awesome!  I love hearing that it worked for someone else!  Did your mom train the dog or did she have someone else do it?  Also, did she get it as a puppy?  I would love to ask more questions.

Post Merge: March 12, 2017, 04:33:25 PM

im not sure--but I know I feel a bit better when im around dogs...particularly smaller toy breeds like a shih Tzu or shih Tzu mix :)
I think most people are comforted by animals.  I know the thought of a little dog curled up in my lap seems so perfect. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 04:33:25 PM by BethyVic »
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 10:23:58 AM »
Yorkies are adorable, intelligent dogs.  <3  They can be strong-willed and scrappy, as their original job was hunting down rats--an activity that didn't need special training (just prey drive), so they weren't bred to be especially "trainable", if that makes sense.  Of course they CAN be trained, but it might take more effort than with a labrador retriever, for example.  ;)  Some are standoffish.

Are you thinking of an adult dog or a puppy?  An adult dog might be a better bet for a therapy dog since you could see their "adult" personality and choose one that is already super friendly and cuddly (and housebroken, lol).  Sometimes, no matter how much you socialize a puppy, they just have a natural personality that is reserved / not especially interested in strangers.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline BethyVic

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 04:30:28 PM »
I am thinking of a puppy, but I am open to looking into anything.  I have started researching breeders, but I have friends who are looking into rescue possibilities as well.  I will get all the information I can before making a final decision.  I live in an apartment, so I want a dog that isn't used to living with a huge backyard or lots of children or other dogs.  Basically I am just sending out feelers right now. 
[email protected]

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal