collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4 pretzel  (Read 4454 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: G4 pretzel
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2017, 01:17:05 PM »
Pillow Talk makes me giggle, right along with Night Cap
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2017, 09:02:01 AM »
That said, the name-stealing thing isn't new to G4. G3 Applejack or Cotton Candy, anyone?

Heck, the reused names thing goes back to G1! Baby Half Note vs Rockin' Beats Half Note, Big Bro Salty vs baby sea pony Salty, Tabby vs Little Tabby, etc etc. It bugs me but it is what it is, haha.
(G2 has some reused names too - Sundance, [Prince] Firefly, Melody, Morning Glory, etc. Not to mention how every single gen has at least one pony called Cupcake ^_~)
Repeated Name Syndrome is predominately a US disease. We don't have Salty the Big Brother or Little Tabby the Teeny Weeny pony here, we have Tug and Little Lullabye. Repetitive names are avoidable because other names that are official do exist. Gingerbread is the only name I can think of that the UK repeated where the US didn't. In my collection there is only one Salty, and she's a sea pony ;)

It makes me sad that UK people are so dependent on the US names, even when so many of them repeat horribly. Just a personal twitch of mine. Don't mind me.

Going back a bit, in terms of the core 6/7, the idea was there in G1. The toy line didn't perpetuate long enough to go nuts, maybe, beyond the end of the US line, but the concept of everything around the core seven was a concept from the Seven Characters onwards. You can tell this by the fact even the UK comic began to feature those ponies to the near exclusion of anything and anyone else. But I'm glad G1 didn't get a chance to go down that line en masse. I mention this simply because there is a difference between rereleases of characters like the first 6 earlier in the line, and the concerted attempt to create a core cast in 1992. Rereleases are not the same as a core group.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:04:22 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2017, 10:35:48 AM »
It makes me sad that UK people are so dependent on the US names, even when so many of them repeat horribly. Just a personal twitch of mine. Don't mind me.

Ehhh, personally I just use the names I prefer or which are more familiar to me. I like Salty better than Tug so that's what I call him; the origin of the name doesn't make much difference to me. For G4 Cupcake I prefer her alternate name Sugarcup so I call her that. etc, etc. (I say "alt name" since I'm not too sure when/where they changed her name, if it's a US vs UK thing or what, I've never been too clear on that..)

I get your point of view, though; I'm like that with Sylvanian Families (always twitch a bit when I see 'em called Calico Critters :P).

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2017, 10:49:18 AM »

Ehhh, personally I just use the names I prefer or which are more familiar to me. I like Salty better than Tug so that's what I call him; the origin of the name doesn't make much difference to me. For G4 Cupcake I prefer her alternate name Sugarcup so I call her that. etc, etc. (I say "alt name" since I'm not too sure when/where they changed her name, if it's a US vs UK thing or what, I've never been too clear on that..)

I get your point of view, though; I'm like that with Sylvanian Families (always twitch a bit when I see 'em called Calico Critters :P).
In a real sense, I respect the fact it's up to every collector what they call their ponies. But the UK history and such is so much in danger of being lost completely because everyone defaults to the US story and the US names and the US set info and accessories and whatever that it makes me sad. There are already more US collectors than there are of us, and I just feel like if we don't protect our pony heritage, it disappears. If we don't do it, who will? As a historian, and a geek, those things bother me. But I know I'm fighting a losing battle. Still, I've been fighting it for the last 20 years, so I don't see me giving up any time soon...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2017, 03:07:14 PM »
As an American, I think the UK was far better at naming ponies.

Though, I would completely rip out the Big Brother/Adventure Boys and make six different male ponies with more adventurous themes (a spelunker, lumberjack, desert nomad, arctic explorer, swamp rat, and diver).
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2017, 07:30:51 AM »

Though, I would completely rip out the Big Brother/Adventure Boys and make six different male ponies with more adventurous themes (a spelunker, lumberjack, desert nomad, arctic explorer, swamp rat, and diver).

So...GI Joe?

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2017, 03:37:56 AM »

So...GI Joe?
Better than the Village Ponies.  And it would fit the "Adventure Boys" name the UK and Europe gave them.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2017, 04:38:42 AM »
Aw, I like the Village Ponies ^_~ I don't think GI Joe ponies would've fit in as nicely.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2017, 09:03:05 AM »
Aw, I like the Village Ponies ^_~ I don't think GI Joe ponies would've fit in as nicely.

I like the Village Ponies too. :D

Maybe they could have as a Charity Set for Veterans?

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2017, 09:33:48 PM »
I'm bitter towards G.I. Joe at the moment because IDW combined their G.I. Joe and TF comics in a shared universe, and now the Transformers comics are crawling with Joes.  Nooooo!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2017, 03:41:28 AM »
They're not even G.I. Joe ponies, they're not soldiers.  They're just based more on particular environments (caves and mountains, forests, deserts, tundra, swamp, and the ocean) rather than hobbies and roll play.  For one thing, I find that easier to write for as they would have skills that are actually useful to the ponies in their hostile world than Baseball and Football.

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2017, 09:30:49 AM »
I'm bitter towards G.I. Joe at the moment because IDW combined their G.I. Joe and TF comics in a shared universe, and now the Transformers comics are crawling with Joes.  Nooooo!

Eek. I mean, I guess G1 TF and G.I. Joe shared a universe, but I still wouldn't want constant cameos in either... o_0; And I actually love both franchises! Hadn't been keeping up with the comics, so I had no idea. I call marketing gimmick.

Big Bro Salty vs baby sea pony Salty

This one really gets me because they were sold the SAME YEAR, lol.  Same with Pink Dreams--they released a flutter pony with the name and a Soft Sleepy Newborn with the name in the same year.

I'm thinking about renaming my flutter Catnap, since she came with the slumber party set and has a cat symbol.

See, Catnap would have made more sense.

My Pink Dreams is now officially renamed Catnap. XD

Also, I don't think Pink Dreams is really a name worthy of re-use. :facepalm:
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2017, 09:35:27 AM »
They're not even G.I. Joe ponies, they're not soldiers.  They're just based more on particular environments (caves and mountains, forests, deserts, tundra, swamp, and the ocean) rather than hobbies and roll play.  For one thing, I find that easier to write for as they would have skills that are actually useful to the ponies in their hostile world than Baseball and Football.

Oh I know. I was just teasing a bit. Sorry Al.  ^^;

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2017, 10:03:30 AM »
I know, but I think we got a little too literal with it.

Actually, my idea for male ponies has a lot to do with the environment.

The earth ponies represent different climates.  The unicorns (the U.K. Mountain Boys only with horns) represent elements.  The pegasi represent weather systems.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal