collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The trivial complaints thread  (Read 466669 times)

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
Re: The trivial complaints thread
« Reply #525 on: March 12, 2018, 02:28:12 PM »
This book. I love Mary Shelley but The Last Man promises an early dystopian plague story and instead gives us Painfully Extensive Accounts of the Emotional Turmoil of Posh People. Perhaps if each sentence was trimmed down by about 17 words apiece, then it'd flow a bit more smoothly and it'd do a decent job of creating emotional stakes for when the plague actually hits but as it is, I'm just feeling irritated and disappointed. I'ma have to go read Frankenstein again to heal my broken heart afterwards. :| This is The Night Land all over again (and there I was thinking Hodgson could do no wrong!!!)

Ahh, yes, authors of the Victorian Lit era wrote excessive amounts of prose because they were paid by the word.  Quite frankly, I'm surprised that Frankenstein is as short as it is.

Yeah, I definitely noticed that in The Picture of Dorian Gray - that whole tedious chunk about fancy fabrics and jewels, there's no way that was in there to advance the plot!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 12, 2018, 02:44:59 PM »
This book. I love Mary Shelley but The Last Man promises an early dystopian plague story and instead gives us Painfully Extensive Accounts of the Emotional Turmoil of Posh People. Perhaps if each sentence was trimmed down by about 17 words apiece, then it'd flow a bit more smoothly and it'd do a decent job of creating emotional stakes for when the plague actually hits but as it is, I'm just feeling irritated and disappointed. I'ma have to go read Frankenstein again to heal my broken heart afterwards. :| This is The Night Land all over again (and there I was thinking Hodgson could do no wrong!!!)

Ahh, yes, authors of the Victorian Lit era wrote excessive amounts of prose because they were paid by the word.  Quite frankly, I'm surprised that Frankenstein is as short as it is.

Yeah, I definitely noticed that in The Picture of Dorian Gray - that whole tedious chunk about fancy fabrics and jewels, there's no way that was in there to advance the plot!

The unabridged Hunchback of Notre Dame has a history of French Architecture.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #527 on: March 13, 2018, 03:16:49 AM »
Trying to get through a trilogy by Nora Roberts. I bought it on sale, all three books within the same cover and the reviews on Goodreads were so positive so I was really looking forward to it and it's just pissing me off! The plot is a nice one, it has such potential! It could be so good! But all three books starts with a man who notices a special woman (different men and woman in each book), and despite making said woman uncomfortable decides to step on. "She wants me to leave, I see it in her body language, but she's too well raised to ask me to leave, I'm just gonna sit down here in her garden and continue watch her awesome body". "My questions makes her uncomfortable and irritated, better keep asking those questions and show up where she's least expect it to make her more uncomfortable". "She says no again and again and again and tell me to leave her house. I'ma just close the door still being inside and talk to her anyway". And in the end the women swoon over the men and all is well. Me? I'm so creeped out and can't believe this was written by a woman! Worst part: Why am I still reading it?!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 13, 2018, 10:17:06 AM »
Trying to get through a trilogy by Nora Roberts. I bought it on sale, all three books within the same cover and the reviews on Goodreads were so positive so I was really looking forward to it and it's just pissing me off! The plot is a nice one, it has such potential! It could be so good! But all three books starts with a man who notices a special woman (different men and woman in each book), and despite making said woman uncomfortable decides to step on. "She wants me to leave, I see it in her body language, but she's too well raised to ask me to leave, I'm just gonna sit down here in her garden and continue watch her awesome body". "My questions makes her uncomfortable and irritated, better keep asking those questions and show up where she's least expect it to make her more uncomfortable". "She says no again and again and again and tell me to leave her house. I'ma just close the door still being inside and talk to her anyway". And in the end the women swoon over the men and all is well. Me? I'm so creeped out and can't believe this was written by a woman! Worst part: Why am I still reading it?!

:lol:  I work in a library.  You wouldn't believe how many books have this same horrible theme!

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 13, 2018, 07:17:35 PM »
Yeah, cause the best way to a woman's heart is to creep her out and make her uncomfortable. :blink:

My complaint is homework. I worked until 6:30 this evening, and I still have more. I've got about three hours in and an hour to go. And it will be like this for a while...

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Beldarna

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 14, 2018, 07:33:14 AM »

:lol:  I work in a library.  You wouldn't believe how many books have this same horrible theme!

What is the joy in reading things like that? What is it teaching young women?

Yeah, cause the best way to a woman's heart is to creep her out and make her uncomfortable. :blink:

According to these books it is very much so as two of the woman has married their creeps so far. I have a feeling it will be a hat trick. I feel sick..

Offline Luxrayx

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 16, 2018, 01:44:37 AM »
My complaint is as trivial as it gets, but I've been too social lately. I feel like I need to be alone for like, a month, to get my energy back >.>

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 16, 2018, 04:26:03 AM »
I ditched all my art materials in a bit of a meltdown last week and now I'm foaming at the mouth to actually draw something, but if I do go back to it so soon, then I'd still be going round in circles and end up right back in the frustrated state that made me want to give up in the first place. :/
I'm determined to at least give it a couple of months just to recalibrate and take in some different sources of inspiration but it's haaaard. I'm no good at exercising restraint. :drunk:
Also there's meant to be an electrician coming round today wire up the new boiler but they haven't specified when they're going to turn up, so I can't stick my headphones on and chill in case the door goes.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #533 on: March 16, 2018, 11:05:51 AM »
I think women tend to be the worst offenders for writing stuff that basically says it's fine for men to behave like that. I haven't read or seen it but it makes me think of all the media around 50 shades of grey etc.

I've had experience of a guy like that, who I was friends with and spent 2 years basically telling him I wasn't interested and it didn't end with me swooning over him. It ended in me severing all contact with him because he told me that I wasn't in love with him because I was autistic and therefore had no feelings and I was being selfish.

Happy ever after.

Yeah. Anyhow! My trivial complaint for the day.

Why is it that my university manages to turn a legitimate strike protest with a valid cause into a riot on the steps?

I am very fond of my university and have met amazing people there. The options and diversity of education and students and teachers and so on are great.

But we have one big issue. Our Student Union.

To save the details, whenever there is a 'cause', and a 'protest', it ends in a riot, vandalism, violence and intimidation of anyone who takes the opposing view or gets in the way. There have been a lot of incidents on campus of people being assaulted, threatened, etc and all of this is being justified by the "protest" being a "valid cause". Most of the causes are valid but that's not how you protest for them.

Today they managed to shut the building. The school has condemned the violence. I am waiting now for the regulation SU email which will probably report that it was justified violence in the name of the strike cause!

That's what usually happens. Unfortunately, bigger picture is that it's not helping the lecturers save their pension fund.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 18, 2018, 01:13:02 PM »
Our fat kitty got me up, by walking on me this morning.

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 18, 2018, 05:12:14 PM »
My history teacher always capitalizes random words. For example: "Why are the Middle Ages called that? What are they Between?"  :enraged:

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 18, 2018, 08:04:21 PM »
My history teacher always capitalizes random words. For example: "Why are the Middle Ages called that? What are they Between?"  :enraged:

Middle Ages should be capitalized since it refers to a specific period in history.

Offline Beldarna

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 19, 2018, 12:28:27 AM »
Found a recipie for easy to make bread I thought I would try this morning.. Firstly the dough was too wet, second it said they should be in the oven 12- 15 minutes. After 25 they were still undercooked.. I wonder if those who wrote the recipie missed something.

Offline Safflower

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 19, 2018, 07:07:42 AM »

Middle Ages should be capitalized since it refers to a specific period in history.
Yes, I know that. If you would notice, the word Between is capitalized as well. I was not referring to the Middle Ages being capitalized.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #539 on: March 19, 2018, 07:13:52 AM »

Yes, I know that. If you would notice, the word Between is capitalized as well. I was not referring to the Middle Ages being capitalized.

On this subject, I am actively offended by people spelling Mediaeval with an ie. I know it's the correct way in the US and that's fine -the US simplifies a lot of words that have multiple vowels in other places (like oesophagus/esophagus etc) so I don't bother about it in US texts. But I am actively offended when I see a British person using the ie spelling.

I'm a mediaeval historian. The word comes from Mediæval which has the anglo-saxon ae character in the middle. The real pronunciation of the word acknowledges that extra vowel in the middle.

Anyone who calls themselves an academic of the Middle Ages should be ashamed of themselves for using a modernised spelling of a word with mediaeval roots.

I rest my rant.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal