collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The trivial complaints thread  (Read 464044 times)

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
Re: The trivial complaints thread
« Reply #1680 on: June 21, 2019, 12:55:10 PM »
My hair. :pout:

I've always had difficult hair, even as a child I was always mumbling, grumbling about it. It looks like a bush after washing it. You'd think that with all these modern products you'd have some control over it... Actually, I did, when I discovered a great anti-tangle spray that seemed to be the secret (it does more than just detangling, it makes my hair smooth and shiny).

...Until I got some severe hairloss last year (not because of the spray, it was stress-related). Now I have all these idiot looking baby hairs on my head, and they curl in idiot directions. :pout: Even the hair straightener doesn't do the trick completely. It sucks because I am so happy that my bangs finally grew out completely (I had bangs pretty much my entire life, until I decided I didn't want it anymore), and now I still have short, stupid looking strands of hair in my face.  -_-
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: June 21, 2019, 01:35:18 PM »
A rather odd rant: I’m really tired of some of some of the current, counter-productive trends in alleged “body-positive” media. For decades, animated/comic book characters and dolls with Barbie-esque proportions and large bust sizes have been criticized as objectifying/fetishizing women. When that’s all that’s portrayed in media and fiction, I can totally see what the critics are saying. Not all women look like that—in fact, most don’t—so that shouldn’t be all that’s represented in media.

But now the trend has shifted to portraying all “sexy” female characters as fat-free masses of tight muscle, complete with washboard abs and zero “jiggle”. Aaand those same critics lap it up and praise the artists as progressive and feminist.

Umm... So now everything is better because we’re promoting/fetishizing a different unattainable standard of beauty in women? Honestly, getting cosmetic surgery to look like a Barbie doll is probably easier and less time intensive than dedicating the majority of your life to your gym membership. :P For superhero(ine?)s it makes some sense, because the men have always been herculean hulks, too. But for everyone else? We’ve just traded one unrealistic ideal for another.

Personally, I dream of a world where all body types can be celebrated and held up as different ideals of beauty, rather than just one or another being put on a pedestal. :P Let’s end the body-shaming witch hunts, please.

(And yes, I’m of the softer, curvier, “hourglass” type myself... and would just like to say that busty women don’t deserve to be excluded/erased in fiction just because of a tendency to fetishize them. Seeing people complain about the bust size of fictional characters because they’re “unrealistic” or “objectifying” is insulting to me. So apparently I’m unrealistic and offensive to all other women because of my bra size?)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 01:37:15 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1682 on: June 21, 2019, 02:45:38 PM »
I am over body image defining anything in general. Honestly. I am not interested in whether someone is portrayed as big, small, tall, short, shaped in any particular way. I'm not interested in the stereotypes that go along with them or the fetishing or body shaming that comes along with them.

Basically as a woman I want to be considered for the person I am, not the shape/size/height/colour/etc that I am as I don't think it's relevant. I wish the world would also take that view. I think we spend way too much time as a species fussing about how we look and how others look and how we compare to others...and why it even matters I'm not sure.

Being clean, and healthy, those two things I understand. Everything else is meh to me.

@Broken Irishwoman - I relate on the hair front as well. Mine is quite fine. It doesn't behave itself. It's a nice colour, and in the sun it shows the red highlights which means I'd never dye it, but I'm never going to have the beautiful full body waves that adverts show (this connects to the above as well I guess, that we all have to have shiny bouncy hair now?). It also needs cutting mind you, but that's way too expensive for what it is...

At least one positive with my hair is that it goes grey slowly. My Grandfather was 83 when he passed and his hair was still not even half grey. My mother just turned 71 and she's had lots of things happen over the years to make her hair grey, but it's still predominately dark brown. On Dad's side of the family they go grey quicker and my sister has that hair, so hers is thick and wavy...BUT she has more greys than I do and she's only 31...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: June 21, 2019, 03:30:35 PM »
I understand what you mean... But at the same time, human beings ARE, as a species, obsessed with appearance. I don’t think that will ever change, sadly. In visual mediums like art, fashion, cosplay, etc., appearance is always going to be a factor... And because of that, I feel like reasonable, diverse representation—100% free of body-shaming—is important.

I suppose it’s a big deal to me because I have a major interest in fashion and cosplay... The body-shaming wars never really let up in those fields. :P But representation helps.

For anyone who’s wondering what spurred on this rant... It’s the recent redesigns of several female video-game characters. Both Lara Croft and now Tifa (of Final Fantasy) were originally busty, without absurdly defined muscle or six-pack abs... both are now “realistically” proportioned bodybuilders. And the designers can’t blame it on the more primitive graphics from back in the day, because the concept art from back then matches the in-game renderings. :/

As for hair... I spend a lot of time and money warring with my hair, so I know what you mean. DX I’ve developed a fondness for wigs, lol.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 03:33:59 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Ponyfan

• MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: June 21, 2019, 03:44:24 PM »
I also have trouble with my hair. No matter how hard I try to make it look nice it usually doesn't behave like I want it to. When I had my college graduation picture made the photographer refused to take my picture until I "fixed" my hair because they were "too many fly aways" My hair and been washed the night before and brushed before arriving at the ceremony. I had to step out of line and have someone help me tame my hair before he would take my picture.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: June 21, 2019, 04:32:36 PM »
@ Nemesis - there's a distinction between taking pride in how we look ourselves, for ourselves, and being obsessed with looking a certain way/judging others for how they look. In my view the first is fine if that's your thing. The second isn't. The second is what I've had enough of. The first just isn't really relevant to me personally as a means of self-definition?

@Ponyfan - what a horrible photographer >< Way to dent a someone's confidence and embarrass them...on a really special and important day o.o.

On my postgrad graduation for some reason they were taking photos of students preparing for the ceremony and 'getting the hat fitted' (I know, yeah :P) and for some reason a photo of them 'fitting my hat' appeared as the graduation image on facebook. Much to the huge amusement of my flatmates...who proceeded to then repost it all over the place >< It looks more like the guy is trying to remove my head, not place my mortar board ><

My uni also has really nice graduation colours - but they didn't have them yet when I graduated my MA so it's boring University of London colours instead :/

If and when I graduate with the PhD it's a different gown so I still won't get the pretty colours :'(

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 04:44:29 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: June 21, 2019, 07:33:29 PM »
Taffeta: I know you weren’t being critical or anything. :) I just wanted to clarify why it matters so much to me. It’s not that I need the media’s approval of how I do or don’t look—it’s that representation or lack thereof can really affect the climate of things like cosplay and fashion.

In any case, no one should feel pressured to care about appearance, fashion, etc. if it isn’t their cup of tea. But EVERYONE should feel welcome and included if they do enjoy those things. :)

Ponyfan: Wow... Rude photographer much? It’s one thing to warn someone about a stray hair or something, but quite another to make a huge thing of it and force you out of the line. :blink: I’m sorry that happened to you. :(

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #1687 on: June 21, 2019, 11:35:35 PM »

@Beldarna - I avoid the tube if I can because buses are often better, despite all my complaining xD. Especially at rush hour - tubes are a nightmare. They also don't run all night (a lot of buses do) in part because there were a lot of strikes and protests when it was suggested. Some lines do run all night on weekends now but not all. I know the show you mean I think :) The tube is the oldest underground in the world though and some of the tunnels are victorian so I guess that explains a lot...

Where I live now there is no tube, just suburban overground, which is not the most reliable (but still more so than the trains near my parents' house, where I grew up). But yeah, the changing destination train was a bit of a novelty.

Also, naughty kitty o.o.

Oh, I know. They said so in every episode. I think it's neat :satisfied:. In Sweden they are so good at destroying old buildings and replace them with new one.. or put up a supermodern, ferry looking cover-your-eyes-its-so-hideous-thing next to a 1900th century hotell (google väven Umeå).. I love shows like Escape to the country where they're like, "this used to be an old forge and it has the original fireplace and look, here's the original door, preserved since the fifteenhundreth.." Used in the everyday life still today. The historian and archeologist in me just swoons. I know there are problems with that as well, with renovating and stuff but I don't care, I just love it. The only thing that gets saved here are old castles..

Have I something to complain about today? I can go on with my hair as well. It can't hold any type of hairstyle at all, my hairdresser calls it glass hair. Just putting it in a ponytail requires to tousle it, spray it with saltwater, two or three sturdy bands, and hairspray. If I'm lucky that will hold three or four hours -_-. Or I can wait until it's extremly dirty, to the point your hand feels greasy touching it, then it will hold with just a touch of hairspray. Hairpins just fall to the ground. Oh, but I do have a valid complaint! I just remembered! It needs to be trimmed, but my haridresser is on maternity leave.. so no cutting during the upcoming 18 months, heh :pout:.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: June 24, 2019, 12:41:25 AM »
Three o clock this morning. I know, because I checked my clock.
Some brats outside going home from a night out. Yelling loudly to each other - mostly 'goodbye' and stuff.

At 3 am.

Maybe I'm getting old, but that is just RUDE.

And yes, it woke me up. I sleep through trains going through, but shrill yells outside my window? Nope.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: June 24, 2019, 07:23:52 AM »
I wanna buy some sailor moon dolls but I'm not sure which ones. In the end I really just want Sailor Moon and Chibi Moon (And corresponding clothes for Usagi + Chibi Usa). Bonus for anything else.

Spoiler
Instead of paying out the nose for MIB, I'd rather have something loose and played with.

I see a set of mini collection of ALL the girls-- where half the dolls have hair rot (I can reroot, so that doesn't bug me), but Chibi usa is missing her shoes (really want those). Saturn is missing her shoes (and she's harder to find). and... but 80% of the other dolls have all of their accessories + alternative outfits. A few things missing. But pretty nice!)

Or a set of dream pockets of ALL the girls including Starlights except Venus that look fairly minty. Chibi moon doesn't exist in that series, but I could buy her separately).  Only Mars is missing her shoes... but there's no alternative outfits in this series. 

._.; I kinda wanna buy both, and take what I want and sell the remainder, but that would cost me over $900. And I'd STILL have to hunt down chibi usas shoes, and her fuku in the end.

Also, all this awful rain has killed most of my flower garden, and my dad's veggie garden. (I feel like I have no right to complain because of the loss for farmers... but I'm still bummed).

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Ponyfan

• MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: June 24, 2019, 10:55:18 AM »
Thanks Taffeta and Nemesis. It's a little sad that my memory of that day is tainted by the way the photographer acted. Even now sometimes a complete stranger will make a very condescending comment to me in public I assume because they think I am an young teenager instead of an adult. 

I got sunburned while I was away. I got some burn relief gel and thought it was getting better. Today after sitting in a sunny car for around 30 minutes my arm began to turn red  and my sunburn started hurting again.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 11:01:49 AM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: June 24, 2019, 11:35:41 AM »
Too many things have gone haywire all at once. I'm currently locked out of my bank account because I blanked, forgot my pin, entered the wrong number too many times and the reminder is coming by post so goodness knows if it'll get here in a helpful time frame. I arranged a vet's appointment for my cat for Thursday, not factoring in the pin number situation, so if it's not here by Wednesday, I'll have no choice but to reschedule which is a fuss for the staff and I don't want to put anyone to any unnecessary inconvenience, I was just thinking of getting Vince checked out asap because I'm worried about her, but she can't very well see the vet if I'm still unable to access my bank account in order to pay the bill.
I also still need to set up a standing order for my new landlord, and ask them for permission to install a new smoke alarm in the kitchen because the previous one was so old it practically disintegrated. Seriously. As if I haven't had to fix enough guff around this place already.
There's also the issue of having my bus ticket on my tablet which is too big for the scanner. I thought it would just work like a paper ticket, where you show it to the driver but apparently not. That was another thing I'd forgotten until the night before I had to go back to work (ironically, I took a week's holiday to de-stress - hasn't made a shred of difference) and it's a monthly ticket so this needless fuss will have to continue for another 3 flaming weeks.
On top of all this, not to get too WYP but all this stress has exacerbated my mental health problems, hence forgetting things and being more stressed and the icing on the cake, the pain in my wrist that started up a few weeks ago isn't going away. :pout:
I need a cup of tea and a lie down.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: June 24, 2019, 01:58:16 PM »
Why must people yell to increase their emphasis? Gag I understand what is wrong and why I should fix it, DON'T YELL AT ME
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: June 24, 2019, 09:47:03 PM »
I need to talk to my doctor about the insomnia I’ve been dealing with lately. :( It’s been going on for weeks now... I have an appointment set up in mid-July, and it can’t come soon enough. XP

Also, my cat is acting odd... She goes to the vet tomorrow for a checkup and vaccinations. So I’m also stressed out about that... I really hope she’s fine, and just having a weird day like cats sometimes do.

She was a stray, so I don’t know her history or even age for sure. The people at the shelter thought that someone had shot her with a BB gun, because she had a crater-like wound on her side. :( I cannot fathom how anyone could be so monstrous—it makes me sick to think about it. She’s a sweet, affectionate cat that wants nothing more than to hang out and ask for belly rubs... Poor thing was injured, starving, and near-death in a pile of snow when she was found. Anyway, I just really hope she’s okay...

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: June 25, 2019, 03:56:35 AM »
They are drilling the road right outside where I live. It's not as hot as it was yesterday thanks to rain in the night but it is warm enough that I want to open my window - however it's too noisy.

They took out the crossing light as well. There are temporary crossing lights, but I feel like this is a worrying sign they may be changing the road layout considerably.

Which means my getting places is going to be even more disrupted than it already is by having to go one stop along to get off the bus since they shut down my bus stops as well.

...At least walking to Asda is now safer because cars can only come from one angle into the side road, not three...so that's good?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal