Creativity > Customs

Customs artistry...share pics!

(1/2) > >>

dragonfly:
Let's see one of your very first customs along side one of your most recent ones!

I'm so curious to see how your art has evolved. When did you start customizing? Did you change styles along the way? What's your proudest moment customizing - whether it was sourcing THE perfect hair or paint, getting a technique down, having your artwork recognized or anything else?

I adore customs but I have never been brave enough to try customizing myself!

pinkkittywinks:
I started customising in 2003. I have always been inspired by Hasbro's ponies and I have always wanted to e able to achieve a factory look finish. This is something I am still working on today. I still learn something new with every custom I make.

My proudest moments have been winning awards in the customs contests at PonyCon :heart:

My first customs :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My latest custom ;)

Love pkw xxx

Griffin:
Ooh I've been meaning to start a thread like this but never got round to it! I love looking at improvement comparisons.

I made my first custom in 2005. Full repaint with some super cheap acrylic paints, rehaired with doll hair from a local craft store. My second custom was made with hair harvested from a cheap wig (stiff and impossible to style) and the third one kept her original hair. Only after that I switched to Dollyhair.

My latest custom and the only one I've done in two years, she was a simple one with mostly original hair and no FBR so perhaps not the best example to show the different areas of improvement. Still, the progress in detail painting is pretty clear.

I'll put some other "milestone customs" under the spoilers.

My very first attempt at sculpting... :biggrin:
Spoilervisitors can't see pics , please register or login

...versus the latest pony with sculpting, this was made for the Horns & Skulls swap and it showcases quite nicely the various techniques I've been practicing during the years: sculpting (that is the best wing I've managed so far), sewing, dry brush effects...

I like sculpting a lot, but painting is definitely my passion. I was never one for smooth, factory perfect results, even though I admire people who can do that. I still do all my FBRs by hand - it may be tedious but it's also the most relaxing part of customizing for me. ^.^ I love playing with different techniques like dry brushing, textures, or adding a lot of water for interesting effects. And did I mention I'm addicted to painstakingly tiny details? :lol: These two are my proudest moments when it comes to painting. 

Sorry for the pic spam! Gosh I have so many ideas right now. I wish I had time for ponies again!

kCherry:

Cool thread!! It's so neat to see peoples progression in their artwork. :D We have some major talent hanging around here!!! ^.^

And, heeeeeey, there's a uber spooky pony up there that I am mighty attached to!!!!!! :lovey: I did a little dance seeing her in that spoiler!!!!!! *loves on Griffin

My first: visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My most recent is a secret that I cannot share just yet!! Although I do have a reboot WIP going at the moment that I only have pictures of on my Instagram, Spoilerhttps://www.instagram.com/p/BRbIdAYjF2S/
But, this one is pretty recent and one of my personal favorites of the ones I've kept for my own collection,

I think my proudest custom moments were my first custom win at the MLP Fair in 2007 for this guy,

And having this girl included in the gallery at Aves Studios who makes Apoxie Sculpt and Apoxie Clay, 

pyrodarknessanny:
lets see.

my 2 very first customs.  made waaaay back in 2007? ish

and  one of my most recent ones

i've come a long way and have learnt alot about different mediums and styles etc.
tho I dont make a lot of customs I do strive to make each one better than the last and something enduring and unique 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version