collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What made you smile today?  (Read 248441 times)

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What made you smile today?
« Reply #1425 on: May 17, 2021, 02:43:15 PM »
Got home from work and saw my first adult cicada of the year!  We are having a huge emergence of seventeen-year periodical cicadas this year, I'm pumped!
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #1426 on: May 18, 2021, 09:57:04 AM »
Oh that's so cool. I wish I still lived up there so I could witness it too.

I feel okay today, for once. I slept for a long time and had a lot of lasting dreams. I'm so close to being a lucid dreamer. I'm aware I'm dreaming and can anticipate things, but can't control anything. I love having long dreams though. It always makes me feel better when I wake up (unless it's a nightmare, of course). I felt so icky yesterday so I'm surprised I feel as good as I do. I haven't even taken any OTC pain meds yet! Sometimes there are good days :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: May 18, 2021, 10:48:15 AM »
Got home from work and saw my first adult cicada of the year!  We are having a huge emergence of seventeen-year periodical cicadas this year, I'm pumped!

The cicada thing has me baffled. I could have sworn we last had them in the summer of 2007, because I remember sitting at a standstill in Chicago traffic that summer on my way to a concert when one flew in my open sunroof. I texted my friend about it (guess it was still legal to text and drive in those days?!) and he wanted me to catch it and keep it for him. I never could catch it. Anyway...we shouldn't get them here until 2024, but I wonder if different regions get them in different 17-year cycles. But...I saw something in the road yesterday that looked like a dead one, so maybe we are getting them here.

I'm smiling today because it's finally raining...here's hoping it takes the pollen level down a notch or 2. My vehicle has this constant layer of greenish powder and sap on it lately, and this constant sinus headache is unbearable. I can feel an instant improvement!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1428 on: May 18, 2021, 12:02:23 PM »
My proofreader doesn't think I suck at writing academically =D.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: May 22, 2021, 11:49:26 AM »
A few things.  One  of the people that I love working with at work retired. At her party there were pages from books that you could write what she meant to you. One of the people throwing the party told me to take one and they would make sure she got it.  With everything going on it took me a while to find the time to write out what I wanted to say.  When my friend got the note she told me that it made her day. and that she always wanted to be friends even if we're not working together. :)

Yesterday I was going to use the self checkout machine and realized that the person in front of me left their items behind. I alerted the cashier working the self checkouts and she went after the man and made sure he got his items. 

The self checkouts were busy so to save time after I paid I just grabbed some bags and after I paid and went to a less crowded area to finish bagging my items.  The lady that used the same machine I did noticed some giftcards at the machine and gave them to the cashier.  The cashier asked me if they were mine and I told her no.  When the lady that was using the machine after me left she asked me if I had gotten my giftcards back. I told her that the giftcards weren't mine. It made me smile that someone went out of their way to try to return something to the person they thought it belonged to.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: May 22, 2021, 02:19:11 PM »
Having a giggle watching Eurovision & live-tweeting with friends from afar!  :)

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: May 22, 2021, 04:04:34 PM »

Pumped?!  :shocked:

I'm terrified!  :yikes: Although I don't know if this 17 year emergence is effecting where I live, since I hear it's a mid west thing. I hope that's the case because I don't need anymore of those things around. Ugh.

|My Collection|

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: May 22, 2021, 04:20:25 PM »

I'm terrified!  :yikes: Although I don't know if this 17 year emergence is effecting where I live, since I hear it's a mid west thing. I hope that's the case because I don't need anymore of those things around. Ugh.

You can look n this article to see where and when periodical cicadas will emerge, on a US Forest Service map: https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/22362042/cicada-brood-x-map-2021

They are not harmful to humans, they don't bite or sting.  And they are smaller than the regular cicadas that come out every summer.  But yeah there will be a huge number of them so it can be a bit intimidating.   Today they really started coming out in large numbers, and they are up in the trees singing! 
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: May 23, 2021, 05:28:42 AM »

You can look n this article to see where and when periodical cicadas will emerge, on a US Forest Service map: https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/22362042/cicada-brood-x-map-2021

They are not harmful to humans, they don't bite or sting.  And they are smaller than the regular cicadas that come out every summer.  But yeah there will be a huge number of them so it can be a bit intimidating.   Today they really started coming out in large numbers, and they are up in the trees singing!

Thanks for sharing this link! The map shows that in my area they will emerge in 2024, so that explains why I remember them being here in the summer of 2007. The smashed one I saw in the road must have just been a regular garden-variety one.

The video was interesting, too, how the male cicada kept turning around when he was snapping his fingers, thinking it was a female...they are such fascinating creatures! Lots of people think it's annoying, but I actually love the sound they make.

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: May 23, 2021, 05:40:18 AM »
According to that map, it happened where I live six years ago. Eh. Didn't seem too memorable.

I don't care that they aren't harmful. They just freak me out. I can't stand them. Whenever they disappear in the autumn, all is good with the world and I can return outside. lol.

|My Collection|

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: May 25, 2021, 12:46:49 PM »
I bought ingredients to bake cookies for my brother as thanks for a rather... emotional hang-out session. I managed to sneak everything into the cupboards without him seeing, and now I'm getting all warm and fuzzy inside knowing there's sugar and brown sugar and flour and semi-sweet chocolate just waiting to get turned into little nuggets of love and gratitude... Does that sound cheesy? :P

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: May 25, 2021, 01:18:27 PM »
I bought ingredients to bake cookies for my brother as thanks for a rather... emotional hang-out session. I managed to sneak everything into the cupboards without him seeing, and now I'm getting all warm and fuzzy inside knowing there's sugar and brown sugar and flour and semi-sweet chocolate just waiting to get turned into little nuggets of love and gratitude... Does that sound cheesy? :P
Aww that's sweet!

I'm happy because AT LAST something I ordered 2 weeks ago has been shipped & I have a tracking number etc. I just hope it arrives safe & well tomorrow & that they have not screwed up the (expensive) order!!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: May 25, 2021, 04:41:39 PM »
I was scrolling through Facebook and noticed an ad for my favorite musical.  The ad was in Japanese but it took me a while to notice it because I was so caught up in the music.   It made me smile because the music was so powerful that I almost didn't realize that I couldn't understand the words the actors were saying.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #1438 on: May 25, 2021, 06:32:24 PM »
I was gone all day and my cat is being extra clingy. She doesn't like it when I leave. I tried to take a nap when I got home but she kept waking me up by gently pawing my face :lol:

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: May 25, 2021, 07:47:04 PM »
I was worried that I found a major plothole in my fictional world that I use for escapism these days, but after doing some research I realized that with some tweaking, a few modifications and a little bit of retconning I can actually make it work ^^;
Inka Dinka Doo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal