collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Legend of Zelda: Breath of Wind (opinions)  (Read 5855 times)

Offline Cassie85

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
Legend of Zelda: Breath of Wind (opinions)
« on: March 04, 2017, 04:38:17 AM »
Hoping to hear everyones opinion on the new game. I will go ahead and start.
I've been watching my boyfriend play the game for about 4 hours and and, as much as I hate to say it, I hate it. I really did not like Skyward Sword, but this one I really and truly hate. What is with the stupid smart phone/tablet? What is with the space age junk that keeps popping up? No cutting grass to get hearts? No Epona or other special mount? What is up with Impas charactor? In past series I thought her charactor was more middle eastern in nature, now suddenly she is asian. The game seems to be borrowing off of elder scrolls and forgetting what made it Legend of Zelda.
My boyfriend and his buddies are squealing like school girls over everything. I'm the only one complaining that none of this feels like Zelda.
3ds 4613-8386-9357
AC Town Galifrey

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
Re: Legend of Zelda: Breath of Wind (opinions)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 05:49:29 AM »
I've been playing it quite a bit since I got it yesterday and I'm enjoying it so far. The open world really encourages exploration and keeps it from feeling too linear. When I got to the bit where you catch and tame a wild horse... well, it basically became Horse Taming Simulator 2017 for me, I spent hours picking out my favourite horses (I'm not kidding, hours lol). Plus, through the use of Amiibo you can actually have Epona, I'm going to hunt down the Amiibo tomorrow!

So far I like all the changes they've made. The durability on weapons takes some getting used to, I really want to find a sword that will last a significant amount of time, but it's not terrible. It's got me thinking outside the box on how to take on large groups of enemies instead of just running in swinging. I like the crafting/cooking and the eating to heal too, I've not slept to heal yet but it's only early in the game. I keep getting distracted by side quests.  :blush:

So I like the game so far, my boyfriend and I are taking turns playing but he'll have to fight me most nights. ^.^

PS. I didn't like Skyward Sword either, what I played of it I didn't enjoy so I never gave it a proper chance. :P
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 06:40:56 AM »
Please remember to keep all games threads in the Games Cupboard forum. Thank you.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 07:34:31 PM »
Personally, I think the game is incredible. After tons of 3D Zeldas following the same formula as OOT, they finally took the series somewhere new. Not only is it somewhere new, but it really is on an entirely different level.

I can see how it won't be for everyone. But as for me, who has always really liked exploring the beautiful worlds of Zelda, this game is perfect. The land is HUGE. Not only is it huge, but it is alive. I love the inclusion of wildlife. All of the wildlife species are animated lifelike. The grass and trees blow with the wind. You'll notice even the hair and clothes of people move with the wind. Such incredible attention to detail.

Without going into detail, the new "items" in this game are also really neat. I was blown away by the first one. In past 3D Zelda games, a lot of new items have been introduced, but this one felt like an item made for a far more advanced game than past Zeldas... and that's what this game is. The mechanics shown by that item and its use in the first shrine are far more advanced.

I'm sorry the technology bothers you. We were already shown that there was a technological age in the Zelda world in Skyward Sword. Personally, I found that to be one of the most entertaining aspects of that game. To me, the technological features in BoTW really just help make the open world gameplay less tedious, they don't really harm the game.

|My Collection|

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 07:53:36 PM »
You can unlock Epona with the Link amiibo for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. :)
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline Harmonie

• Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 08:21:20 PM »
You can unlock Epona with the Link amiibo for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. :)

So Epona is locked behind "DLC". Kind of crappy, but seeing as there are wild horses in the game to tame, I'm not too mad about it.

|My Collection|

Offline Cassie85

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 05:13:53 PM »
Not related to gameplay, but who else was shocked and upset that you have to buy and expansion pack to play the full game. So you shell out $60 for the actual game, and then an extra $20 for the expansion, bring the total for rhis game up to $80. If this is the direction Nintendo plans on going with their games, thats really sad.
3ds 4613-8386-9357
AC Town Galifrey

Offline Harmonie

• Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 08:11:26 PM »
Not related to gameplay, but who else was shocked and upset that you have to buy and expansion pack to play the full game. So you shell out $60 for the actual game, and then an extra $20 for the expansion, bring the total for rhis game up to $80. If this is the direction Nintendo plans on going with their games, thats really sad.

Um.. What does the EP even add? I don't have any Expansion Pack in my game, and this game looks and feels completely full to me. In fact, it is the only game I've ever paid $60 for that actually feels like that full $60 was justified.

|My Collection|

Offline Hannah66665

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Fakies are people too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 12:05:04 PM »
Just wanted to pop in for a moment... I'm going to try and avoid getting too involved with this because Zelda is my utmost passion (more than ponies! lol) and I want to avoid heated debates.  :P Anyway, advanced technology has been present in Zelda for years, through many titles. It was especially prominent in Skyward Sword (IMO, a fantastic game) so it's nothing unusual for it to be in Breath of the Wild. The very first teaser for the game (from years ago) highlighted this with a Guardian and super high-tech weapons.

The *big* DLC they're working for this winter is going to add more to the story...  I was very peeved at first when I heard about it but once I found out that the dlc is for things still in development I didn't mind as much. It's better than the game being delayed another year. What we have right now IS the full game. Basically they had finished it and came up with even more ideas they wanted to build upon.

I'm also loving what they've done with health in this game. In previous titles health and hearts were always readily available and I would get a game over maybe once per playthrough.

Also... there's tons of horses in this game? I don't mind if Epona is an amiibo feature. (I actually didn't know how to get her until reading this thread... eep, spoilers XD) the thing I was MOST excited about in this game was taming wild horses and choosing my own. I would have paid full price just for the horses.

Waiting for Breath of the Wild all these years has been my main motivation to get me through some really hard times... and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.  :)

Grail of all Grails: Brazilian pegasus Truly. :heart:

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 12:59:46 PM »
So I am a NOVICE Zelda fan.
I've played Minish Cap (WHICH I LOVED) and just finished Twilight Princess with a lot of help and guidance from my boyfriend because
A. I hate battles and
B. I am terrible at some parts of the game.

I'm watching him play BOTW and it is VERY pretty! I have to give Nintendo credit because it is a beautiful game. There is so much to do, too much maybe, and very easy to get sidetracked.
I am also not crazy about the technology, but if it was present in Skyward Sword than it makes more sense here.

We HATE the voiceovers. They are awful voice actors, and it really ruins any moments you're having with these characters.

All this being said...this game is hard. I will probably never actually play it in full, ever, because it looks impossible for someone like me who loves Animal Crossing and Paper Mario.

I do love cooking, love the horses, love changing clothes, dying clothes and more!

As for the DLC and Amiibo features, Nintendo does want to make money, and you do not read to buy all these things to play or finish the game. But I understand why they do it, like when I finished Fantasy Life they had a $10 DLC that expanded the game, and I bought it because I wanted to keep playing in this sweet world, and I don't mind giving a fantastic company like Nintendo my money.

I guess flaws aside, its great to have a new Legend of Zelda game, so I'm just going to enjoy watching it :D

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 02:28:48 PM »
Well, I like "open world" type games like Witcher 3 and Skyrim- so although I haven't played this yet- I'm really looking forward to it!

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 03:02:54 PM »
I'm enjoying the game. I already have 5 horses, all named after Naruto characters. (Still trying to find the perfect Kakashi horse, lol.) I don't find the BOTW technology as jarring as the train in Spirit Tracks. I still can't get over the train. My kids are enjoying the game too. I imagine it would take forever if you were a completionist.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Hannah66665

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Fakies are people too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 07:59:21 PM »
Oddly enough, the trains in Spirit Tracks made a lot more sense to me... plus, Spirit Tracks takes place long after most games, so technology is advancing. My sister disagrees and thinks the trains make less sense than the technology in Breath of the Wild, though, so everyone has their own take.

If you want to go back even further, Link's Awakening (gameboy, 1993) had telephones and a claw machine game and Majora's Mask had alien-ghosts descend upon a farm in their flying saucer.

I'm kind of eh... on the voices. I'm really, REALLY disappointed that there isn't an option to hear the original japanese voice acting with english subtitles. There was no reason for that not to be an option. The english voices aren't ruining it for me... but a lot of them just don't sound right:huh:

I think the perfect solution would have been to do things similar to the game Shadow of the Colossus... have the voice overs be a fictional language with subtitles. No need for a dozen different dubs.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 08:01:23 PM by Hannah66665 »

Grail of all Grails: Brazilian pegasus Truly. :heart:

Offline Cassie85

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 08:23:11 PM »

Um.. What does the EP even add? I don't have any Expansion Pack in my game, and this game looks and feels completely full to me. In fact, it is the only game I've ever paid $60 for that actually feels like that full $60 was justified.

Good question. I asked the guy at gamestop, and he all he could tell me was that to play the full game you needed the ep.
3ds 4613-8386-9357
AC Town Galifrey

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 08:54:50 PM »

Good question. I asked the guy at gamestop, and he all he could tell me was that to play the full game you needed the ep.

Hmmm... I think you were mislead. The expansion pass will add some content in the future. A dungeon or something? I think right now all it adds is some items.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal