collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Legend of Zelda: Breath of Wind (opinions)  (Read 5848 times)

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
Re: Legend of Zelda: Breath of Wind (opinions)
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 11:07:51 PM »
Not related to gameplay, but who else was shocked and upset that you have to buy and expansion pack to play the full game. So you shell out $60 for the actual game, and then an extra $20 for the expansion, bring the total for rhis game up to $80. If this is the direction Nintendo plans on going with their games, thats really sad.

Um.. What does the EP even add? I don't have any Expansion Pack in my game, and this game looks and feels completely full to me. In fact, it is the only game I've ever paid $60 for that actually feels like that full $60 was justified.

Good question. I asked the guy at gamestop, and he all he could tell me was that to play the full game you needed the ep.

Hmmm... I think you were mislead. The expansion pass will add some content in the future. A dungeon or something? I think right now all it adds is some items.

Yeah, some gamers believe that if there's any DLC it's something taken from the game to deliberately make gamers pay more, not an addition to an already complete game. I'm definitely going to buy it, my partner is all about increasing the difficulty and the first DLC pack includes Hard Mode.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline BerylBreeze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2017, 12:16:08 AM »
I don't like how small the dungeons are compared to the old ones, idk if they'll be any bigger later on (I only just got the paraglider). It also feels clunky to keep dropping weapons for new ones, even having to open a chest twice instead of having a "swap" feature.
Though I do like how the open world aspect and how you can choose what order to do stuff in. Makes it feel more like the older games.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 08:08:50 AM »
As far as technology, Zelda has had some form of technology present in several games. Robots in Skyward Sword, a telephone and claw machine in Link's Awakening DX, a train in Spirit Tracks, fast mine carts in multiple games.

I haven't played it yet because I'm having some difficulty tracking down the WiiU version.

Impa has always oscillated from wise woman to warrior chick.

Epona being locked behind an amiibo is annoying, but there are other horsies to tame so yay!

Can't comment on weapons durability, but it's not the first time it's happened. The Goron Sword.

I am annoyed and disappointed by the DLC, I'm disgusted by the return of the stupid stamina meter.

I'm also annoyed by the lack of proper dungeons, a bunch of dinky mini dungeons don't cut it for me. It worked in Majora because the world is so compact and the mini dungeons weren't quite so small, but here? No.

I'm loving the return of open world, because that's a return to its roots.

I'll give better thoughts once I can find the WiiU version.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:12:24 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 10:07:09 AM »
I will agree that the mini dungeons and only a few main dungeons are a drag. I love me some dungeon action. I do, however, like the mini-bosses out in the open.

The stamina meter isn't my favorite thing, but I guess it makes sense with all the mountain climbing. He'd be OP if he could climb all the things right off. However, going out of steam when you're running away from the bad guys is not so fun.

The status effects are an interesting mechanic for Zelda. I think I welcome it. Some of the new mechanics in this game remind me a bit of Minecraft.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Harmonie

• Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 10:19:55 AM »
I'm disgusted by the return of the stupid stamina meter.

Personally, I disagree. Sure I understand it is annoying, however, in this game I think it is completely appropriate. It adds a sense of realism and struggle to the large adventure in the wilderness that this game is.

For example, if you see a large lake, you can't just simply swim from one side to the other with no thought like in past Zelda games. Instead, you - like you would if this were the real world - would either have to have a craft to cross it, or you have to traverse around it.

Personally, it just adds to the immersion of the game for me. It adds to the feeling that exploring the world is treacherous, and not just a stroll in the park.

I had to buy it digitally, and in order to do so I had to put in on a flash drive.

Sounds ridiculous, but I think this game is 100% worth it.

|My Collection|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 04:48:57 PM »
I'm disgusted by the return of the stupid stamina meter.

Personally, I disagree. Sure I understand it is annoying, however, in this game I think it is completely appropriate. It adds a sense of realism and struggle to the large adventure in the wilderness that this game is.

For example, if you see a large lake, you can't just simply swim from one side to the other with no thought like in past Zelda games. Instead, you - like you would if this were the real world - would either have to have a craft to cross it, or you have to traverse around it.

Personally, it just adds to the immersion of the game for me. It adds to the feeling that exploring the world is treacherous, and not just a stroll in the park.

I had to buy it digitally, and in order to do so I had to put in on a flash drive.

Sounds ridiculous, but I think this game is 100% worth it.

Nevermind he never needed one before. I'll never understand why people think it's great to have Link run for ten steps and then start slugging around like he's gonna keel over and die any second, gasping for breath.

He can survive being dropped into lava with naught but singed buttcheeks, he can breath deadly volcano fumes, he can go for days without sleep, he can be a one man army, but he can no longer run for longer then a few steps. Yay realism. :mad:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 04:55:49 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 05:08:44 PM »
The stamina in Skyward Sword I found annoying, the stamina in Breathe of the Wild on the other hand is nothing to complain about in my opinion. It's realistic to only be able to sprint in bursts and have to slow for a few places to recover so you can speed up again. I'm having absolutely no trouble with it, I enjoy climbing mountains and reaching the summit, it makes it feel like a real achievement. Link feels like a real character trying his best to be the hero Princess Zelda needs him to be.

I like the shrines, it's an interesting concept to be exploring the world for shrine challenges instead of being pointed towards a dungeon and spending the next few hours doing linear puzzles. You find so many more fascinating things along the way as you climb to the highest peak to search the surrounding area for a glowing shrine.

Not to point any fingers but it's a bit odd that there's so much negativity coming from people who haven't even played the game yet. It's a bit disheartening to people who are excited to see Nintendo doing something new with the franchise to improve it.
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 05:29:34 PM »
It's still stupid. If I hated it in SS, why would I suddenly love it in BotW? That makes no sense.

I'm not forgiving Anouma for ruining the game by bringing it back anytime soon. I sometimes don't even know if I want to spend money on this thing they call a Zelda game anymore.

Stamina meter, cut content you hafta pay for,100 mini dungeons in lieu of a healthy mix of mini and main dungeons and the version it was originally intended for being difficult to find.

They had a game I was thrilled to death to play because Zelda is my favorite gaming series ever. But then they decided to take a steaming dump on it with dumb decisions
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 05:32:58 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 06:13:39 PM »
As an avid gamer I'm just gonna leave this here. Games no matter who is making them will evolve over time. COD is moving further and further away from what it originally started out as. It only makes since for Zelda to be the same way. And while you can never please everyone all the time it seems to be preforming well. My buddy that works at GameStop said he had more preorders then systems coming in. Just move on if it's not the right game for you. There are Zelda games I hate that I refuse to accept as Zelda games. I just move on and find something else to play.

Offline Harmonie

• Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 07:59:03 PM »
Nevermind he never needed one before. I'll never understand why people think it's great to have Link run for ten steps and then start slugging around like he's gonna keel over and die any second, gasping for breath.

He can survive being dropped into lava with naught but singed buttcheeks, he can breath deadly volcano fumes, he can go for days without sleep, he can be a one man army, but he can no longer run for longer then a few steps. Yay realism. :mad:

Hold on a second, there. You seem to be referring to stamina specifically when running. Now here's the thing about that - in past Zelda games Link couldn't run. Skyward Sword added the extra running option, and with it came the stamina bar.

Link can "run" as he did in OOT, MM, Wind Waker, etc. just fine without ever running out of stamina, it's if you do the fast run that you have the stamina bar.

It's still stupid. If I hated it in SS, why would I suddenly love it in BotW? That makes no sense.

I'm not forgiving Anouma for ruining the game by bringing it back anytime soon. I sometimes don't even know if I want to spend money on this thing they call a Zelda game anymore.

Stamina meter, cut content you hafta pay for,100 mini dungeons in lieu of a healthy mix of mini and main dungeons and the version it was originally intended for being difficult to find.

They had a game I was thrilled to death to play because Zelda is my favorite gaming series ever. But then they decided to take a steaming dump on it with dumb decisions

Well, you can have your opinion all you want. I'm pretty sure that Nintendo is currently working on the additional content coming, meaning it wasn't cut out.

As for me Breath of the Wild is what Zelda needed. It is what Nintendo needed. Skyward Sword was a fun game with plenty of pros, BUT the turn to linearity, no open field to roam in, etc. it just really took away from the Zelda experience for me.

Personally, I'd much rather have this large open world with so much to explore than another standard formulaic Zelda game with dungeons and limited exploration. Sure, past Zelda games have very iconic dungeons, but this game has an iconic region to explore.

|My Collection|

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2017, 08:03:11 PM »

This point annoys me in particular when people haven't even played the game yet. In skyward Sword if you sprinted until your stamina was empty you would double over to recover and wouldn't be able to move, that's why it was disliked.

In Breath of the Wild it's different! When you sprint and deplete your stamina you slow to a jog, you can keep moving while your stamina refills. If you pace yourself and don't let your stamina completely deplete you can sprint/run/sprint in a realistic fashion. Big difference, major improvement.

You try sprinting across a football field without slowing and tell me how realistic it feels.

You are all entitled to your opinions, but until you actually experience it for yourself your opinions are virtually baseless. Sorry I'm getting so riled up, I don't mean to offend anyone so sorry if I sound harsh. It's like having an opinion of a movie you've not seen, only watched trailers of or read a review about, ect... Assumptions make an ass out of you and me. :shrug:

I love the game, it's not for everyone, and sure I don't love everything about it, but I'm enjoying the experience of playing it.  ^.^
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2017, 08:12:20 PM »
 Can't play what I can't find. Oh no how dare I not like a crappy mechanic or the fact that they're withholding a dungeon and story mode behind dlc? I'm perfectly entitled to my opinions. Climbing, pushing and doing certain sword moves was also obnoxious with the stamina meter.

And once again, if we're talking realistic, no one should be able to survive falling in lava or being hit in the head multiple times with a spiked ball and chain, or being rolled over by giant lizard monsters armored by nothing but a tunic and a shield.

I don't play a fantasy game for its realism.

If I want a good open world Zelda I can still play the original. Not to mention 12 other games in the series.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:27:14 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 03:51:53 PM »
Can't play what I can't find. Oh no how dare I not like a crappy mechanic or the fact that they're withholding a dungeon and story mode behind dlc? I'm perfectly entitled to my opinions. Climbing, pushing and doing certain sword moves was also obnoxious with the stamina meter.

And once again, if we're talking realistic, no one should be able to survive falling in lava or being hit in the head multiple times with a spiked ball and chain, or being rolled over by giant lizard monsters armored by nothing but a tunic and a shield.

I don't play a fantasy game for its realism.

If I want a good open world Zelda I can still play the original. Not to mention 12 other games in the series.

I don't want to argue with you if you've already made up your mind. If you're so insistent to hate a game you haven't played yet then save yourself the money and don't bother.

I'm sorry you're having trouble finding the game as well, I've heard American stores have issues with distribution and I'm not too impressed with Nintendo's latest trend of creating demand with false rarity (eg. Amiibo & Classic Mini Snes).

Have an open mind, stop comparing Breath of the Wild to Skyward Sword, Nintendo is taking Zelda in new directions and they deserve to be respected.
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2017, 10:04:40 AM »
Wow- some strong opinions in here!  :lookround:

So hopefully I can download this game onto WiiU?

I haven't actually checked yet-  have been playing Witcher3 and I had a dream last night that I looked into the downloads section and the Breath of Wind game was there!  I was so happy...

Such a dumb dream, haha  I didn't even get to play it... I guess my brainz couldn't figure out how it would look...

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 07:34:05 PM »
I got to play it for a short bit today! I loved it. :)

I probably won't get it because I have a hard time playing 3D zelda games...... which is sad, because it seems like a really fun game.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal