collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: If G1 Were In Stores Now.....  (Read 1771 times)

Offline kasin

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Studio BMFC
If G1 Were In Stores Now.....
« on: February 27, 2017, 10:46:15 AM »
..... if G1 were in stores now and you could just go buy them MIP or order them online, would they still be as much fun to collect?

If you don't collect G1 now, would you if they were avalable?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:15:30 PM by kasin »

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
Re: If G1 Were In Stores Now.....
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 10:56:05 AM »
You kind of see it with Transformers and their retro releases.  I think it would still be fun to collect and looking for originals would still have its charm as it would up their value for new releases to be out there.  If nothing else, it give us something to look forward to in stores.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 11:36:42 AM »
As in rereleases of current G1s, or new ponies in G1 molds? I would probably buy them either way, but unless they were super rare ponies (like reissues of the TAF babies) I would be more likely to buy new ponies in G1 molds.

Are you familiar with the Genie / Puppy Love fan-created pony project?  The ponies are in molds that are EXACTLY like G1 ponies and they're made of high quality material.  They're awesome!  I have Genie (sparkle pony in Gusty's pose) and Puppy Love (unicorn in Gusty's pose) and I just pre-ordered Kitty Love (pony in the SITTING(!!!) mold).

You can order / pre-order them here:  http://clipper.ecrater.com/c/2078822/hq-g1-customs

Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

RainbowQuartz

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 11:39:45 AM »
I'd buy them ALL. My kids would be THRILLED, too. They love G1 above all else, though they have some G3 and G4 ponies, too.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 11:42:38 AM »
I would buy up so fast. They would have to restock again and again. I would love new molds or poses. That would be neat.

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 12:12:23 PM »
You know, I don't know that I would  :blush:

For me, there's just something a bit special and nostalgic about the G1's, the real 'old school' charm about them. And as much as I hate major flaws, little scratches or the odd mark hint at their history.

In terms of accessibility, I might gripe about missing out on a much coveted pony all the time on ebay for example, but the satisfaction in finally scoring that pony... I literally danced around the room when I finally won Red Roses after years of wanting her. Maybe it's a gen x thing, but I don't think I would get off as much on the instant gratification of walking into a store and grabbing a 'G1' specifically.

:shrug:

Offline kasin

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Studio BMFC
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 12:35:13 PM »
I don't mean re releases, more like if the orginal line was avalable now and you could collect G1 the way you can collect G4.

I almost never buy G4 new, but I do buy them in the thrift shops and enjoy finding new ones I don't have. I could easily buy new, but it's just not interesting to me. For G1, there are a lot of them that I actively collect and enjoy that I don't think I would if I could just buy them in stores.

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 12:36:23 PM »
If G1 were in stores now, I'd spend so much time running round in circles from sheer excitement that there would be a huge rut worn into the ground - especially if there were new ponies and poses in that style!
I would be happy to be able to go and get a pony from a store mainly because pony hunting online feels for a chore for me, but that applies to looking for anything online, not just ponies. That said, it'd be a real buzz to find a real old G1 in the wild, not to mention much more fun to go looking instead of trawling through internet listings, but there are none to be had in my area.
Nostalgia does also come into it, as I do feel a special kind of connection with the replacements of my childhood ponies, like being reunited with old friends. The ponies, having come from other homes, also feel like they have their own stories. So my feelings on this subject a bit mixed. :P

Are you familiar with the Genie / Puppy Love fan-created pony project?  The ponies are in molds that are EXACTLY like G1 ponies and they're made of high quality material.  They're awesome!  I have Genie (sparkle pony in Gusty's pose) and Puppy Love (unicorn in Gusty's pose) and I just pre-ordered Kitty Love (pony in the SITTING(!!!) mold).

You can order / pre-order them here:  http://clipper.ecrater.com/c/2078822/hq-g1-customs

*theatrical gasp* I wasn't aware of Kitty Love - she's perfect! Oooh, those little tux cats! :lovey:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 12:52:47 PM »
I'd definitely buy them IP, except for the harder to find ones. Because we ALL know how Hasbroken likes to distribute stuff.

Plus the mini MLP and books are still in stores so you totally can.

I don't know why Hasbro WON'T, considering TF retro releases, the Strawberry Shortcake retro releases and Cabbage Patch retro releases.

Post Merge: February 27, 2017, 12:57:23 PM

OMGS Kitty Love is adorable!!!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 02:38:13 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Draikinator

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 01:02:41 PM »
I bought a genie and plan on getting kitty love and puppy love as soon as i have money so; yeah haha. I love the older molds because theyre bigger and feel better in my hands imo; i would absolurely buy cute new ones. I'd love to see new tafs, you know?
-Want to buy those squishy Russian "Plush Apple" brand toys, especially the shining armor/cadence set. also the russian chupa chups vinyl scratch.-

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 01:40:35 PM »
I would absolutely buy them. I like the hunt of finding G1's in the wild or finding good deals online but I would be ecstatic if they did a rerelease like the Retro Strawberry Shortcake rereleases.

Offline Clipper

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+122)
  • Clipper
    • View Profile
    • Clipper's Sail
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 01:49:54 PM »
Kasin, are you meaning like if G1 were released today instead of in the 80's? I don't think it would have the same meaning, and fanbase as they do today. They would be something like how G3 was in stores back years ago.. Soft colors, bigger bodies.. The only reason as a teenager why I bought G3, was because it reminded me of G1.. Otherwise I would have no clue what MLP was.  If I were grown up, and  the G1 MLP line just came out in recent years, I don't think they would have the same meaning. If I were collecting them though, I would buy 1-2 of each, and search in stores before online. It's just the hunt gets more of a thrill IMO.

..... if G1 were in stores now and you could just go buy them MIP or order them online, would they still be as much fun to collect?

If you don't collect G1 now, would you if they were avalable?

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 07:06:54 PM »
If they were new, unique G1s of about the same quality as old G1s, oh yes, I would buy them new in stores :)

Offline Motion-Paradox

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 07:32:34 PM »
I think it would be about the same as it is with me now where I would buy the ones that appeal to me.

Assuming you meant that they were still making G1 styled ponies if it were re-releases of existing ones I would probably buy at least the ones that are cheaper that way and for new ones it would depend on what appeals to me and if there were a show as well

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 09:55:41 PM »
I assume what you are saying is if G1 came out now instead of during the 80's? I think it would depend on why a person is a collector in the first place. Some people collect because of childhood nostalgia so if it wasn't for MLP they would probably collect another line (I was too late for G1 so original LPS is my "nostalgia" collection). Other just collect because they are cute and would probably still collect them the way a G4 or MH collector does.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal