collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Modifying:Is there such a thing as a "rare" or "bait quality" FiM blindbag pony?  (Read 927 times)

Offline Xenotropos

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • the blindbag addiction is real
    • View Profile
Sorry if this is off-topic but I wasn't sure where to direct the question.

I've just started dabbling in modifying FiM blindbag ponies.  Of course this means I'm slowly amassing a herd of the wee things.  I'm not collecting them for profit or resale - just for the fun of it.  The modding is fun and I hope to eventually recreate some of the background ponies from the show.

What I don't want to do is accidentally mod one that another hard core collector would want, or make a fan have a heart attack because I cut the head off a hard-to-find model so I can add it to my Nerd Herd.

I don't have any plans on using any obvious character pony figures - like Cheese Sandwich, for example.  I've also noticed a few figures are expensive - such as the Zecora from 2013 - and I wouldn't take an exacto knife to anything that (relatively) pricey.  I've found lists of ponies available, but nothing to say if they're a dine a dozen or rarer than hen's teeth.

IS there such a thing as a "rare" or "bait quality/common" blindbag pony, or are they distributed evenly so every one is equally easy/hard to find?  The Main Six seem easy to get ahold of, but are there ones I shouldn't use if I get duplicates?  Is the going rate generally a good indicator of what not to hack into? 

Any info you could give me would be welcomed.

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
Wave 2 is pretty rare, I wouldn't reccomend customizing any of them. As for bait, I'd say ones with really obvious factory flaws (bad paint jobs, eye wonk, marks and dirt that won't come off) could be considered bait, but I could be wrong  :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
I have no clue about this, but I will give this a nudge and maybe someone who knows better can help.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
There are TONS of factory rejects from China being sold online... I'd start using those as bases :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Xenotropos

• View Profile
 to lovesbabysquirmy: I've got some of those on order.  I figure I'm sort of saving those from the landfill anyway so I totally agree with you on that. 

However I'm in Canada, those shipments take forever to arrive and I'm an impatient brat  :P  I've picked up the odd pony at dollar stores and a few blindbags and I was worried about ruining something someone else would want.  I'll take your suggesting into account though.  It IS the safest bet.

(I'm in the middle of modding a recently purchased Fluttershy - the one with the single stripe of constantly shedding pink glitter down the back of her head.  She'll be my :muffin: Pony when I'm done with her.  I'm pretty sure she's not rare, and she's slightly annoying as there's now pink glitter all over my desk.)

Post Merge: February 26, 2017, 10:21:39 AM

to Uninu: Thank you!  I'm also using some factory seconds like LovesBabySquirmy suggested, but any help with the new ponies would be greatly appreciated!

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
Factory rejects are a great resource. I also would consider any of the mane 6 pretty bait ethical because they got so many releases. I dont know that anything is super rare, but Wave 1 and 2 that didn't get second releases would be worth more and more sought after, and thus not good bait choices.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
I dunno about rare ones, though it's a good probability. But bait? Definitely. A couple weeks after my daughter got Sugar Grape, the pink started bleeding onto the white. The most common characters would be your best bet.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 03:55:35 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Motion-Paradox

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Well wave 2 is the rarest since it was never released outside of Europe, there's also the pink version of the glitter Twilight Sparkle from wave 1 (It was corrected for purple in later releases). For a while they were releasing story pack ones with a regular release Mane 6 character and unique character molds for two newer characters (I believe this is where the blind bag Zecora was from) I'm not sure about the whole thing but I know the Canterlot Wedding, Apple Family, Queen Chrysalis, and I believe also the Daring Do sets were the most sought after.

Aside from obvious character ones that only other thing that comes to mind are the special variations; I'm not sure if they're still doing this but the early waves had three special figures which were usually variations of the Mane 6 (Waves 1 & 2 collectively had glitter versions of them, wave 3 had glow in the dark versions of Pinkie, Rarity & Twilight, wave 4 the default ponies were glittery but they had metallic versions of Pinkie, Rarity & Applejack, wave 9 had Rainbow Power ones). Later on that was mostly replaced with having new molds and for some sets they had three special ones that way such as the Princesses in, I believe, wave 5 and the Breezies in wave 11.

As for bait ones I suppose the more common ones are fine no matter what as well as ones with major issues, I know some have ended up with paint missing on one eye, and the bootleg ones. I'm not sure about characters that were never in the show and how sought after they are, I also wonder about Fluttershy since there are two versions of her, one using Rainbow Dash's mold and one where she has her own mold

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Don't forget thrift stores.  The ones where I live bundle 5-8 blindbags and put them in a bag for $4.99!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Xenotropos

• View Profile
Thanks Motion-Paradox!  I've been keeping my pony mutating ways clear of any you mentioned.  Mostly I'm getting baits from china.  I'll take your advice to heart.

And THAT'S IT I'M MOVING TO WHERE 'SQUIRMY LIVES SO I CAN GET CHEAP SECOND HAND BLINDBAG PONIES!!!!

The addiction is real. :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal