collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Molded vs Brushable Hair?  (Read 4850 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Molded vs Brushable Hair?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 03:43:43 PM »
Good point.  The first set of Petite ponies had molded hair too.  (Well, all of them had molded manes I guess, but the first set also had molded tails.)  I think those ones actually look better than the "Ponytail" Petites.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 07:23:46 PM »
Brushable. I just don't enjoy moulded hair. Even when I had the choice to buy realistic horses, I preferred Grand Champions to Breyer horses because of this.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 08:17:44 PM »
brushable hair all the way too.
other wise its just a shelf sitting collectable for older children - adults, though younger kids play more with an imagination it really helps having a gimmick with a toy and with mlp its its hair, brushes and ribbons. to me its like having a transformer toy that doesn't transform into anything that just stands there just being a robot or a car.
things that you can change on a toy is fun.......styling.......transforming :)

personally i don't think i would have got into mlp as a child if they just had molded hair, too boring and i was 8 i think and into that pretty hair accessories thing.

btw i just ran of to ask my 6yr what they prefer out of their mlp toys. molded hair or brushable and they said brushable waaaaaaaay better.
each to their own i say but seems more for older peeps who just want to collect and display them on shelves.
or maybe its a budget thing, i would imagine its a lot cheaper to make things without another process of sewing nylon hair into a toy.

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline mlly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 08:20:11 PM »
While having brushable hair is not what makes a pony MLP, it's still a nice thing to have, and is still a staple of the brand/franchise, a part of its "DNA" if you get what I mean.

Much like Transformers that don't transform, there is nothing wrong with MLPs w/ molded hair and they are needed for variety, HOWEVER, they should NOT overtake most or even half of the toys.

I don't see how having molded hair will make the toys more "gender-neutral", brushable hair is no more "girly" than pretty much every other characteristic the current toys already have.

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 09:17:04 PM »
I think brushable hair is a defining feature of what makes a My Little Pony a true My Little Pony. At its core, MLP has always been a colorful plastic horse with brushable hair.  You ask pretty much anyone to define what a MLP is, and that's what they'll come up with.  When people make bootlegs, that's what they make.  Otherwise it's just a horse figure. To take away the brushable hair is to remove important functionality of the toy itself.  It's one of the key ways the toy is meant to be played with. 

It would be like taking away the articulation of a GI Joe.  It would still be a similar looking toy if you did that, but posing it is one of the most important features of the toy.  Without that, it's not a full GI Joe - it's something else with a GI Joe name and a GI Joe look.  It could be part of the GI Joe line, but it wouldn't be considered a full GI Joe if it was missing the ability to be posed.  You don't see Mattel making molded hair Barbie because people who buy Barbie want hair to play with.  It's a key feature of the toy.   

Hasbro has experimented with pony gimmicks and smaller sub-lines of ponies before.  You've got the Petites and the Dream Beauties of the first generation.  G3 basically rebooted the tiny pony figure concept of the Petites with their Ponyville line, and that carried over into the G4 blind bags.  But those are not the main line ponies.  They're their own set and their own thing.  They may coexist with the regular ponies, but they're not a replacement, and they're never what people think of when someone just says "My Little Pony".  It's always "MLP Petite" or "Blind bag MLP".  You need that extra label to distinguish it from the regular line because it is a different kind of toy. 

The Guardians of Harmony line is more a MLP action figure line to me than a true MLP main line.  It's part of the entire MLP line, but it is its own separate thing.  They took away one functionality(brushable hair) and added in another one(articulation) to make something new and different.  It's very closely related, but it's not the same thing.   

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2017, 10:08:27 PM »
Brushable!
Memories of school playtime + sitting outside with my friends, under a tree, plaiting our ponies, tying ribbons etc.

Actually, I think it has more to do with the eyes than the hair.  Lots of fakies have brushable hair but most of them can't get the eyes just right.  That's usually a giveaway when someone has used a real MLP as a base for a fakie mold.  And just look into the eyes of a G1 baby.  That's what hooks you.  ;)

The eyes of g1 mlp are just beautiful!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 02:18:54 AM »
For me, succinctly - no hair, no point :)

And all the playset petites in Europe had brushable tails. I prefer those.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:11:27 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 04:00:56 AM »
 :iconclap: :thumb: Well said Goddessofpeep.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:34:07 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2017, 06:32:25 AM »
To me, if it has molded hair, it is not MLP. 

Offline Heart891011

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2017, 01:51:52 PM »
Brushable because it's fun to style their hair. The molded hair ones aren't even as popular. My Walmart is completely sold out of brushables (without playsets) only has GOH, blind bags, fash'ems, the reboots with yarn hair, and plushies (and the playsets obviously.) so more children like the brushables too.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2017, 02:08:10 PM »
Brushable because it's fun to style their hair. The molded hair ones aren't even as popular. My Walmart is completely sold out of brushables (without playsets) only has GOH, blind bags, fash'ems, the reboots with yarn hair, and plushies (and the playsets obviously.) so more children like the brushables too.

For a long time brushables just shelf sat until they finally started making them more interesting than endless Mane 6 in the same static molds.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 02:11:55 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 02:15:09 PM »
Brushable hair is a must for me.  There's something undeniably soothing about sitting down with a few ponies and simply grooming them, adding ribbons or braids, or just running my fingers through silky manes and tails.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline gummybuns

• Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2017, 02:49:11 PM »
I prefer brushable hair as I like playing with it, not really into styling, as I like to keep my ponies manes close to how I got them, but I do like to feel their manes, molded manes are ok, I mean I like the fact that they're "Show accurate" but I mean there's plenty of tutorials on how to style your ponies manes to look that way as well.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2017, 10:14:31 PM »
I prefer brushable hair over molded, but I'll take both if I must.
One reason I don't like molded hair is the fact that even some accessories for some molded hair looks off/wonky.. case in point hats for many of the blind bags... they kind of work but they really don't work. I could care less for show accuracy, just give me something that if it comes with a hat said had will actually look right on it (and before someone says something, yes I know some cases the accessories are specially designed for molded hair but execution is not always on par ;) )
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2017, 10:31:13 AM »
I love brushable hair- but not when it is so ridiculously thin like the tails on the G4 standard size brushable ponies.

I think kids like to play with thier toys-  although the recent GOH ponies don't have brushable hair- they do have more posing posibilities- so I have to assume kids are going to like that.  I find the GOH stuffs surprisingly appealing.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal