collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Molded vs Brushable Hair?  (Read 4845 times)

Offline kasin

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Studio BMFC
Molded vs Brushable Hair?
« on: February 22, 2017, 07:58:08 AM »
As a collectable, how important is brushable hair for MLP? I noticed G4 (which I do not know well) has molded hair versions of some of the main characters toys, but they do not seem popular? As collectors, how important is being able to style and play with their hair? Is the hair part of what makes this toy appealing to display and collect?

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Molded vs Brushable Hair?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 08:20:43 AM »
Brushable hair is a very important thing for MLP, and i think a lot of collectors will agree with me.I think a lot of g4 have molded hair because bronies prefer these.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 08:36:08 AM »
Brushable hair definitely! I know molded hair looks more accurate to the show (Which is why Bronies like it), but brushable hair has so many possibilities for styles!

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 09:00:00 AM »
I think that most people like the brushable hair because that's what MLP has always had since the beginning, and molded hair is more of a brony thing (not that there's anything wrong with that ;))

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 09:01:37 AM »
This question needs a poll friend. ;)

Brushable all the way. It's a Hallmark of the brand and yes I do have a blindbag or two and molded hair isn't new to MLP and definitely not new to model horses.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline plushroo

• Trade Count: (+252)
  • princess Cotton Candy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 09:07:12 AM »
I prefer the brushable hair because I believe it's what made MLP popular. Little girls being able to comb and style hair, like with dolls. Without hair to style, you just have another plastic toy with nothing much to offer other than just using your imagination. I love the benefit of taking pony hair and cleaning it, brushing it and getting it disheveled again.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 09:14:28 AM »
I prefer the brushable hair because I believe it's what made MLP popular. Little girls being able to comb and style hair, like with dolls. Without hair to style, you just have another plastic toy with nothing much to offer other than just using your imagination. I love the benefit of taking pony hair and cleaning it, brushing it and getting it disheveled again.

I never understood the logic that an all molded toy means it's not much fun. Molded toys come with other toys and accessories more often then not and plenty of kids have a grand old time with them.  That's just as illogical as saying that toys are only fun if they're fully poseable.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 09:16:31 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 10:10:03 AM »
When I was a kid, my friends and I would have pony "Spa" days where we would just grab a bunch and give them baths.  So now, brushable hair is a nostalgia thing for me. 

As a customizer, I like having the option of either.  I like being able to mix paint colors and create unique hair colors on molded pony creations, which is an option I can't as easily reproduce when re-rooting hair because I don't always have the color I want and dying isn't always an option to get it.

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 10:58:08 AM »
I honestly like both. I love being able to style my ponies how I want their hair to be, and I also love being able to have something show accurate. I definitely enjoy that molded hair is easier to remove dust from though lol.

As a kid I preferred brushable hair because I always wanted to change things the way I wanted them. But molded was less stressful because I didn't have to worry about messing it up while I played. Messy hair always bugged me a lot.

Offline kasin

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Studio BMFC
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 11:42:13 AM »
This topic is comming from a conversation I was having with a non collector about what makes a MLP a MLP. Aside from the obvious colorful ponies, is it the hair? the responce seems overwhelming in favor of brushable hair, so would you say it's a defining  hallmark of the toy?

I want to compare MLP to other collectable horses like Breyer  and Stones, but is it more of a doll maybe??

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 12:09:17 PM »
This topic is comming from a conversation I was having with a non collector about what makes a MLP a MLP. Aside from the obvious colorful ponies, is it the hair? the responce seems overwhelming in favor of brushable hair, so would you say it's a defining  hallmark of the toy?

I want to compare MLP to other collectable horses like Breyer  and Stones, but is it more of a doll maybe??

Actually, I think it has more to do with the eyes than the hair.  Lots of fakies have brushable hair but most of them can't get the eyes just right.  That's usually a giveaway when someone has used a real MLP as a base for a fakie mold.  And just look into the eyes of a G1 baby.  That's what hooks you.  ;)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 12:14:29 PM »
Brushable hair is a very important thing for MLP, and i think a lot of collectors will agree with me.I think a lot of g4 have molded hair because bronies prefer these.

I don't think the molded hair was because bronies like it because G3 had the Ponyvilles which were the precursor to the current blind bag ponies. And the bigger ones with molded hair I feel are part of a 2 pronged approach. One is to provide something meant for girls who are into more actiony play and two to make MLP toys that boys don't feel too embarrassed to play with. Lately Hasbro has been trying to be more progressive. They even added a "daddy" option to Baby Alive.

I feel what sets it apart is more that they are stylized and colorful. There are plenty of realistic horses out there that have brushable hair.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 01:11:48 PM »
I don't think Hasbro has molded hair "because bronies like it" at all.  I think it's because some kids want their toys to resemble their cartoon counterpart as closely as possible.  The G4 toyline is very closely tied to the G4 cartoon, which is kind of a new thing for MLP.  But yeah, a lot of kids are going to want / expect to see Rainbow Dash with a short 'do, etc.

Just like, as a kid I wanted a SwiftWind who was white, like he was on She-Ra, not . . . this.

All pink?  Really?  And the argument that "they had to so little girls would buy it!" falls through when Bow had a completely blue horse and Catra had this horse:

But I digress . . .

I liked brushing my ponies hair as a kid.  G1 had such great quality hair and such lush, thick tails. But I did NOT like "styling" my ponies' hair, and I still don't.  Brushing it, yes.  Styling it, no.  I just wanted it to look neat and tidy.  And if it had original curl, it was very very very important to me that it kept the original curl.  (I remember crying when my sister braided Angel's hair, because after the braids were taken out the curl was gone.)  In that sense, I did find curly haired ponies slightly stressful.  They had less play value to me because I had to be extra careful with them, so they got left out of a lot of pony adventures.

Do I think all MLPs should have brushable hair, or that they aren't real MLPs without brushable hair?  No.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 01:14:02 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 01:29:17 PM »
Personally I like brushable hair and always have since I was a kid. I don't like molded hair at all but some do. I do enjoy styling their hair but I'm also not worried about show accuracy.

I don't think brushable hair is a defining hallmark of MLP. I think it's a combination of how colorful they are, having a symbol/cutie mark/brushable hair and the ability to play with them in a similar way as dolls. Like styling them, dressing them up, having houses and families, etc. I don't think it can be pinpointed down to one thing but instead it's encompassing so many things into one toy.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 02:50:20 PM »
I think Hasbro started doing blindbags because they saw how profitable it was for other companies .

Besides, didn't G1 have ceramic figures? And of course McDonalds ponies with half brushable, half molded hair . Plus the Ponyvilles and Tiny Tins.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 03:02:28 PM by Leave a Whisper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal