Creativity > Customs

Mod Podge question

(1/4) > >>

TugaLis:
Hello pony friends :D

I was able to get my hands on some Mod Podge matte (a bit hard where I live)

I was considering purchasing some Testors Dullcote, from what I read it would be the perfect alternative to seal ponies, and have them great through time; but to get it here it would all cost 37 USD and I am not even sure if that product can cross the border here .-. honest newb

I have a bit of a dillema tho... I bought Mod Podge but I am aware of all of the horror stories about the yellowing, the stickyness, and the melting. And my ponies are allready sticky on their cutie marks and eyes; a dust magnet and mane and tails get sticky there too; because some years ago I bought a glossy sealent, god knows what brand it was, and it was AWFULL.

And now I am a bit scared... should I risk using Mod Podge? I think I might as well. I really don't know what to do at this point.
I know  I am supposed to use very light coats, and water it down to a milk like consistency..but I admit I am very affraid of screwing things up..

-What is milk like consistency...like 3 parts water, 2 parts glue?

I know this is very silly, but please help?  :what: :yikes:

Evilunicorn:
I have always used Mod Podge and it works fine for me, haven't seen any yellowing or felt any gross stickiness, as far as melting I've never heard of that happening but I guess I could see that if exposed to extreme temperatures? 

TugaLis:
Maybe melting wasnt the right word...

That gives me a bit of hope :)  :newpony: *I am prone to screwing things up*

How much do I water it down tho?  :read:

retrogradenova:
I haven't used Mod Podge myself. I did get some half finished baits from some customizers that used Mod Podge to seal the base paint and I found it really dirty and sticky. But it needs to considered that the baits had been shipped during the summer and I live in the southern part of the US where it's very humid and hot, that may have had an effect on it. With no other experience with it, I'm afraid that's just anecdotal at best.

I personally love Testors Dullcote and haven't had any problems with it. If Amazon is a resource available to you, they have it on there for just over 5 USD.

If you're worried about the Mod Podge ruining your ponies,  my thoughts would be to take a bait you don't care about, and to some lengthy tests on it, see how the Mod Podge reacts to temperature/humidity changes, the paint brand you're using, etc

Hopefully you get it all sorted with some more experienced advice than mine. Sorry I can't be more help.

Makaroni_the_pony:
I think mod podge gets the sticky problems in higher humidities because when I lived in the South it always did that to me, but when I lived in the North I had a friend who used it to seal her sculptures and never had any problems.

I'd say just test it on a pony you don't care about to see what happens because if it's gonna get sticky it'll usually do it right away, and then go on from there

Otherwise another good brand of matte sealant is Liquitex, which I use, though I don't know how durable it is in the long run

Post Merge: February 20, 2017, 11:11:10 AM

Oh, also the milk-like consistency only matters if you're using an airbrush gun, which, if you are, the only thing that will happen if it's too thick is it won't run through the airbrush properly and you'll just need to water it down. For hand painting just get it to a consistency that is thick enough that it won't drip all over the place, but thin enough that it doesn't blob on or show brush strokes because it may prevent it from drying all the way if its too gluey. When I mix my sealants I usually just do trial and error so it would probably be best to just test it a few times, or to mix it to the same consistency you mix your paints already

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version