collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Mod Podge question  (Read 2367 times)

Offline TugaLis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Mod Podge question
« on: February 20, 2017, 08:53:11 AM »
Hello pony friends :D

I was able to get my hands on some Mod Podge matte (a bit hard where I live)

I was considering purchasing some Testors Dullcote, from what I read it would be the perfect alternative to seal ponies, and have them great through time; but to get it here it would all cost 37 USD and I am not even sure if that product can cross the border here .-. honest newb

I have a bit of a dillema tho... I bought Mod Podge but I am aware of all of the horror stories about the yellowing, the stickyness, and the melting. And my ponies are allready sticky on their cutie marks and eyes; a dust magnet and mane and tails get sticky there too; because some years ago I bought a glossy sealent, god knows what brand it was, and it was AWFULL.

And now I am a bit scared... should I risk using Mod Podge? I think I might as well. I really don't know what to do at this point.
I know  I am supposed to use very light coats, and water it down to a milk like consistency..but I admit I am very affraid of screwing things up..

-What is milk like consistency...like 3 parts water, 2 parts glue?

I know this is very silly, but please help?  :what: :yikes:
Smile :hamster: there is beauty in simplicity

Offline Evilunicorn

• Captain Jack Pony
  • Always tired
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Podge question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 09:16:18 AM »
I have always used Mod Podge and it works fine for me, haven't seen any yellowing or felt any gross stickiness, as far as melting I've never heard of that happening but I guess I could see that if exposed to extreme temperatures? 

Offline TugaLis

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 09:19:05 AM »
Maybe melting wasnt the right word...

That gives me a bit of hope :)  :newpony: *I am prone to screwing things up*

How much do I water it down tho?  :read:

Offline retrogradenova

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 10:37:45 AM »
I haven't used Mod Podge myself. I did get some half finished baits from some customizers that used Mod Podge to seal the base paint and I found it really dirty and sticky. But it needs to considered that the baits had been shipped during the summer and I live in the southern part of the US where it's very humid and hot, that may have had an effect on it. With no other experience with it, I'm afraid that's just anecdotal at best.

I personally love Testors Dullcote and haven't had any problems with it. If Amazon is a resource available to you, they have it on there for just over 5 USD.

If you're worried about the Mod Podge ruining your ponies,  my thoughts would be to take a bait you don't care about, and to some lengthy tests on it, see how the Mod Podge reacts to temperature/humidity changes, the paint brand you're using, etc

Hopefully you get it all sorted with some more experienced advice than mine. Sorry I can't be more help.
*Currently obsessed with G3 Minty and Midnight Dream*

Makaroni_the_pony

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 11:05:56 AM »
I think mod podge gets the sticky problems in higher humidities because when I lived in the South it always did that to me, but when I lived in the North I had a friend who used it to seal her sculptures and never had any problems.

I'd say just test it on a pony you don't care about to see what happens because if it's gonna get sticky it'll usually do it right away, and then go on from there

Otherwise another good brand of matte sealant is Liquitex, which I use, though I don't know how durable it is in the long run

Post Merge: February 20, 2017, 11:11:10 AM

Oh, also the milk-like consistency only matters if you're using an airbrush gun, which, if you are, the only thing that will happen if it's too thick is it won't run through the airbrush properly and you'll just need to water it down. For hand painting just get it to a consistency that is thick enough that it won't drip all over the place, but thin enough that it doesn't blob on or show brush strokes because it may prevent it from drying all the way if its too gluey. When I mix my sealants I usually just do trial and error so it would probably be best to just test it a few times, or to mix it to the same consistency you mix your paints already
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:11:10 AM by Makaroni_the_pony »

Offline TugaLis

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 11:16:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies  :)
I think i
I guess I'll just pony up and give it a try on my own  :bateyes:

The issue wit honline ordering is that the shipping cost is very very high :c

I guess I'll give mod podge a go, and if it does go bad I supposed *if* I then apply Testors it fixes the mess? .-. I hope  :lookround:

Post Merge: February 20, 2017, 11:38:27 AM

One question tho: does it ruin paintbrushes  :huh:
should I use my regular painting brushes? I one bad one...but I'm affraid it will leave paintbrush marks
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:38:27 AM by TugaLis »

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 06:42:46 AM »
Mod Podge is terrible. It's ruined a lot of my customs.

Here's the thing - you DO NOT NEED to seal your customs. Really. It won't be the end of the world. I don't buy customs anymore and rarely have them commissioned (because I am sick and tired of sticky ponies) but when I do I ask for them to be unsealed. No more problems!

It absolutely will ruin paintbrushes. Most sealer will, so it's best to have brushes you use just for that.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline TugaLis

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 09:14:34 AM »
Yeah.. the sealer I used previously did do that  :enraged:

I know that sealing isn't imperative... but I would like to give them that extra protection :/ so they can suvive through time. But in my case I think it is needed because they are already sticky *read original*

Really dont know what to do :(

Offline Evilunicorn

• Captain Jack Pony
  • Always tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 02:43:03 PM »
Hasn't ruined my brushes, I also wash them right away after using anything

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 03:09:02 AM »
Liquitex is a good alternative if you cant get dullcote.
I live in a high humidity area and modpodge is the devil.

Offline TugaLis

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 08:09:01 AM »
Oh god  :dizzy:

Well before anything else I want to thank everyone who replied and shared their valuable experience with me  :grouphug: I really do take in account every bit of advice

I am very indecisive now tho, on what route I should go down *that's me on a nutshell  :faint:

Offline piinkypiie

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 06:54:42 PM »
I used mod podge previously, but when i was washing some of my ponies WITH WATER, the mod podge came off together with some paint, so after that i decided never to put mod podge or any other sealant as it ruins the paint.
:happy:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 10:28:07 AM »
My sister lives in a SUPER dry (but sometimes also very HOT) area (so cal desert) and the mod podge she used made her gorgeous customs VERY sticky.  So heat may be a factor too?

I have used it on art projects other than pony and it seems to work okay.  I live in SEattle- where it is never particularly hot or particularly humid.
However, I have bought customs using mod podge and the ponies definitely have a slightly sticky finish. It isn't horrible- it just means that things like tissue paper (what I had one wrapped in) got all stuck and I had to pick the bits out... 

Dulcote is never sticky.  I have heard that it can yellow over the years- so you can also buy the UV protector Testors- but I can never seem to find any at a decent price...

All that to say-  maybe use Mod Podge on practice customs and not one you want to last a long time.  Maybe avoid it if you live in the south or somewhere that gets very hot.

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 08:40:18 AM »
I used ModPodge on one custom to see how it would work. It wasn't very good to say it nicely. I myself use MSC on all of my customs, it works pretty much just like Testors Dullcote.

One other sealer I would stay away  from when it comes to ponies is a spray sealant from Army Painter, the Anti-Shine one. Works well at first but after some time turns the pony all sticky.

Offline TugaLis

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 01:52:06 PM »
Well guys... I think I have made a decision *wow..that's a new thing with me  :freak:*

I will be leaving my ponies as is... no sealent at all (appart from the one I used blablabla, that was awfull..sticky yatta yatta)
It seems that the best way to protect them through time is actualy to not protect them at all, I think  :wonder:

So I just wont bother about it anymore.. no big dreams of getting Testors or trying my hand at my new ModPodge (I'm sure I'll give it some other use  :lol:) they'll just be on display so no big scratch risk.. Seems like ponies are so hard to seal perfectly because of their plastic
So..yeah  :happy: not gonna seal anythang Thank you to everyone who contributed with their valuable knowlegde from your thankfull newb  :P
 :sqs: :sqs: :tackleglomp:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal