Pony Talk > Off Topic

Getting Books Published

(1/1)

Leave a Whisper:
Any authors know a good self publishing company to help you get your book published? I want to start getting mine published again, but can no longer afford Trafford.

Marlin:
I'll bump you up because I'm a little curious myself. I'd like to know what people's experiences have been like - on smashwords or amazon kindle for example?  I haven't heard of Trafford before. Are you wanting to go into print as opposed to e-book, leaveawhisper?

ladybastilla:
I've found that it's generally better to hire people to do the various aspects of getting a book published than to go with a place that presents publication as a package. A lot of those packaged deals aren't deals and are really designed to take advantage of newbie authors or people who just don't know any better.

I am in the process of deciding who I'm hiring for the book I'm writing and I'll happily share my process here:

My cover will be designed by Robin Ludwig and will cost $100 plus the fees to get any needed stock photography. If I wanted, I could get my formatting done first and get front, back and spine for $170, but I'll likely pay $20 extra and do that later.

My formatting will likely be done by Champagne Formats and will cost a max of $150 for print and ebook formatting.

I'm fortunate to have a good friend who is an editor that is handling that aspect of my book.Good editing can be expensive and it is important.

I am hoping to do a cover reveal with Xpresso Book Tours. That will cost me $40.

And the week of release, I also hope to do a blitz to advertise my book, also with XBT. That will cost me $90.

My distribution will be via Amazon and CreateSpace for ebook and print.

Ultimately, it will depend on what you are looking for in a publishing experience. I hope that you can figure out something that will work for you. Good luck!

Leave a Whisper:

--- Quote from: Marlin on February 20, 2017, 12:37:55 PM ---I'll bump you up because I'm a little curious myself. I'd like to know what people's experiences have been like - on smashwords or amazon kindle for example?  I haven't heard of Trafford before. Are you wanting to go into print as opposed to e-book, leaveawhisper?

--- End quote ---

At this point, I'd be quite willing to do ebooks and hopefully try and build up a bit of cash for printed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version