collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Getting Books Published  (Read 520 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Getting Books Published
« on: February 17, 2017, 02:02:06 PM »
Any authors know a good self publishing company to help you get your book published? I want to start getting mine published again, but can no longer afford Trafford.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Books Published
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 12:37:55 PM »
I'll bump you up because I'm a little curious myself. I'd like to know what people's experiences have been like - on smashwords or amazon kindle for example?  I haven't heard of Trafford before. Are you wanting to go into print as opposed to e-book, leaveawhisper?

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 05:29:34 PM »
I've found that it's generally better to hire people to do the various aspects of getting a book published than to go with a place that presents publication as a package. A lot of those packaged deals aren't deals and are really designed to take advantage of newbie authors or people who just don't know any better.

I am in the process of deciding who I'm hiring for the book I'm writing and I'll happily share my process here:

My cover will be designed by Robin Ludwig and will cost $100 plus the fees to get any needed stock photography. If I wanted, I could get my formatting done first and get front, back and spine for $170, but I'll likely pay $20 extra and do that later.

My formatting will likely be done by Champagne Formats and will cost a max of $150 for print and ebook formatting.

I'm fortunate to have a good friend who is an editor that is handling that aspect of my book.Good editing can be expensive and it is important.

I am hoping to do a cover reveal with Xpresso Book Tours. That will cost me $40.

And the week of release, I also hope to do a blitz to advertise my book, also with XBT. That will cost me $90.

My distribution will be via Amazon and CreateSpace for ebook and print.

Ultimately, it will depend on what you are looking for in a publishing experience. I hope that you can figure out something that will work for you. Good luck!

Swap Wishlist

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 06:50:32 PM »
I'll bump you up because I'm a little curious myself. I'd like to know what people's experiences have been like - on smashwords or amazon kindle for example?  I haven't heard of Trafford before. Are you wanting to go into print as opposed to e-book, leaveawhisper?

At this point, I'd be quite willing to do ebooks and hopefully try and build up a bit of cash for printed.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal