collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Wow - that was unexpected :)  (Read 589 times)

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Wow - that was unexpected :)
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:33:33 PM »
So I just discovered something helpful? Cool? Fun?

So, as many of us know, sun-fading can greatly help (some ponies not so much!) whiten and brighten up certain ponies. I just received a sort of place filler Blueberry Baskets. I stupidly sold off my girl whilst having a collection clear out/reduction which I now very much regret (but I digress...)

Anyway, I got this girl to ease the pain until another good scoop comes along, but ugh... she was pretty dirty and dingy. I gave her a good clean, but she was so yellowed I was a bit disappointed - even with her as a place filler. I had another couple of ponies I wanted to brighten up a bit from the lot she came in, so I thought - well... you look horrid enough already, what harm could it do... I'll see what happens...

Well... one afternoon in the Southern Hemisphere sun and I have a blue pony again!  :blink:  She's still far from perfect what with her other issues, but boy, today's efforts have turned out to be one heck of an improvement!

Anyway - just thought it was interesting and worth a try for anyone else with a (non white) pony that's gone dingy :) :)  It's makes me wonder if there are other ponies prone to discolouration that might benefit from the same treatment? Any other experiences out there? Anyone ever tried Lavender Lace for example. I (argh!) don't have her anymore but she was one that came to mind.

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
Re: Wow - that was unexpected :)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 06:21:42 AM »
I use the sun with colored ponies all the time, sometimes with hydrogen peroxide, sometimes without, depending on what I think caused the discoloration.  So yes, I think you could likely brighten up your lavendar lace if you wanted to.  I've done it with a couple other perfume puffs and they look better, but never quite got back to their original color.  And I faded the living daylights out of their hair, so probably a straight sunfade where you can cover the hair is best.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline NigheanRuadh

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Pony rescuer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 10:16:32 AM »
I have a Boysenberry/Blackberry Pie (smaller, darker purple version) that had a yellowed body, although her head color was fine.  I covered her head (other than some marker that I wanted to fade) and hair and put her in the window for several weeks (Pacific Northwest winter = very little sun).  The yellowing eventually disappeared, and her body is the same shade as her head again. 

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 10:46:30 AM »
Great, I just posted about this in another thread too. I had good results with Wind Whistler who arrived full of water and black mould. She turned out really well :)
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal