collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Three "weird" G1-ponies: customs or variations?  (Read 1093 times)

Offline kmlahti

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kmlautanen.fi
Three "weird" G1-ponies: customs or variations?
« on: February 08, 2017, 08:21:31 AM »
Hello

I have had these for years, but never tried to confirm any of these. They might be custom jobs etc: I got them off eBay in big pony lots, they weren't advertised as anything special, and they've just been sitting on my shelf. They might be custom/repair jobs, or ageing... what do you think?

Case one: Peachy with blue symbols. Hong Kong, marked under all four hooves, Pat Pend-marking scraped off. She came from Germany. I had to take the symbol picture without a flash and put a white paper in the back: my camera flash bleeds out the blue colour. Paint touching? Fading from pink? The colour is baby blue.

Case two: Tickle's symbols. Re-glittering? Very thick symbols, so maybe too much glitter used to re-glitter? Also Hong Kong, marked under back hooves. Can't remember where she came from.

Case three: Peppermint Crunch. Hard plastic, marked Hasbro inc under front hoof, but the back hooves are "shiny" from underneath. I think the word "china" has been there, I can just about see the outlines, but is this scraping factory made, or owner-made? I've seen similar shiny surfaces on German ponies but they only had the "pat pend" removed, never the texts on two hooves.

What do you think?

Pics:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 10:05:43 AM by kmlahti »

kmlautanen.fi

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Three "weird" G1-ponies: customs or variations?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 08:33:46 AM »
Peachy's symbols can fade to blue if left in the sun for a while, which is what happened here.  :)  Also happens with a couple other ponies like Scoops and NSS Heart Throb.

Tickle's symbols are supposed to be gold, so that's normal. :)  (I just noticed My Little Wiki has them listed as silver . . . I'll correct that.)  Very nice symbols on her, too!  They so often get that "rust" around them.

Not sure about Peppermint Crunch.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline kmlahti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 08:35:47 AM »
Tickle's symbols are supposed to be gold, so that's normal. :)  (I just noticed My Little Wiki has them listed as silver . . . I'll correct that.)  Very nice symbols on her, too!  They so often get that "rust" around them.

The other Tickle I had had silver symbols, and they were much... thinner paint? Every Tickle I've seen so far has had very thin symbol lines, and as far as I remember they were all silver? I presumed this was the variant. 0.o WTH.

Could rust be the cause here, do you think? For the thicker lines. I've never handled a Tickle with such thick symbol paint. Or could this be a re-glittering?

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:41:07 AM by kmlahti »

kmlautanen.fi

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 09:36:52 AM »
Some of the glitter symboled ponies have silver glitter mixed in with whatever color their symbol is . . . Perhaps sometimes there is so much silver glitter that it makes her symbol appear silver?  (Like, I have seen Moonstones with silvery-blue symbols and Moonstones with blue-blue symbols depending on the amount / color of glitter.)

No, the rust isn't the cause of the gold color, the gold glitter is the cause of the rust. ;)  Starshine and Sunbeam, who also have gold glitter symbols, are also prone to symbol rust.

I don't think it's re-glittering.  Probably just a difference in how much glue and/or glitter was applied at the factory that particular day.  (Batch variation.)

Edit:  This ended auction shows what the rust looks like.  (I don't know if it's literally rust, I just call it that.)  The glitter flecks off in round spots concentrated on the symbols and sometimes the plastic around the symbols gets orangey-brown.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 09:41:02 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline kmlahti

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 09:58:43 AM »
I'm actually laughing at myself: I was thinking silver symbols because I was in my mind comparing this HK Tickle with ITALY Tickles, which I've had on several occasions. Basic G1 ponies loose haven't been my thing for years :D

But it's the thickness of her symbols that does confuse me. English is not my native language, so I'll try to explain differently:  I have had a basic HK Tickle before, but her symbol glitter was much, MUCH thinner. Very elegant, in fact, and if I do remember right her symbols appeared silver — but it's been years! Compared to that thin-symboled Tickle this Tickle seems like someone shot her with a glitter cannon and then drowned her symbols in a bucket of glitter shouting "Get some glitter, you!". I meant to ask: her symbols seem to have such a thick layer of glitter: could this be that someone applied more glitter on her symbols, or that the gold glitter rusted and caused them to look thicker? I've never through rust would cause a symbol to turn gold colour: I meant to ask if a thick layer of rust could make her symbols look so thick-lined. The symbol rust seems to be more frequent in Sunlight aand Starshine, I'm never seen a Tickle bothered by it: but I was wondering if the rust in her gold glitter could make her symbol appear so... thick and dark?

Some of the glitter symboled ponies have silver glitter mixed in with whatever color their symbol is . . . Perhaps sometimes there is so much silver glitter that it makes her symbol appear silver?  (Like, I have seen Moonstones with silvery-blue symbols and Moonstones with blue-blue symbols depending on the amount / color of glitter.)

No, the rust isn't the cause of the gold color, the gold glitter is the cause of the rust. ;)  Starshine and Sunbeam, who also have gold glitter symbols, are also prone to symbol rust.

I don't think it's re-glittering.  Probably just a difference in how much glue and/or glitter was applied at the factory that particular day.  (Batch variation.)

Edit:  This ended auction shows what the rust looks like.  (I don't know if it's literally rust, I just call it that.)  The glitter flecks off in round spots concentrated on the symbols and sometimes the plastic around the symbols gets orangey-brown.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 10:02:54 AM by kmlahti »

kmlautanen.fi

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 10:21:44 AM »
I have a Flutterbye with much thicker glitter than my other rainbows. I think they just used slightly thicker glitter paint that day

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 11:15:28 AM »
Peppermint Crunch is probably a Spanish-made "no country" version. The Sundae Best ponies as well as Summer Wing Ponies & possibly a few other sets from that year pop up with the country scratch out. They may have some slight color variations compared to the standard release, but since they aren't substantially different they are not as sought after (or even recognized) as most other international variations.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 12:25:08 PM »
Peppermint Crunch is probably a Spanish-made "no country" version. The Sundae Best ponies as well as Summer Wing Ponies & possibly a few other sets from that year pop up with the country scratch out. They may have some slight color variations compared to the standard release, but since they aren't substantially different they are not as sought after (or even recognized) as most other international variations.

Yep! :bigups: she is Spanish.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline kmlahti

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 12:27:10 PM »
All right, brilliant! The Peachy's fading symbols were completely new to me. Pity, it's such a pretty shade - but now I won't have to feel guilty about keeping her, because selling a flawed common pony... :D

Thanks for the info, everyone :)

kmlautanen.fi

Offline princessluna11706

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 06:04:30 PM »

Yep! :bigups: she is Spanish.

Love pkw xxx

Wow, sneaky nirvana pony there!  Very cool :)

The original Princess Luna.

I'm on Instagram! http://instagram.com/kitarei1 :)

Offline kmlahti

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 05:56:54 AM »
Does anyone have a PC for that NC Peppy Crunch? I only found an old one from 2012.
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,314405.msg498475.html#msg498475
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 01:31:04 PM by kmlahti »

kmlautanen.fi

Offline Chelsea7

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 08:35:55 AM »
I don't know why they are that color, but I am loving the blue Peachy hearts
My Tumblr

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 01:26:16 PM »
Does anyone have a PC for that NC Peppy Crunch? I only found an old one from 2012.

These are really hard to price as they just don't come up for sale. I think it's because they look identical to their China counterparts and so are often sold "unnoticed".

The last Spain NC Sundea Best pony sold here was Sherbet and she went for 25€.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline kmlahti

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 02:24:32 PM »
Thank you :) At that price I'll be keeping her, which makes me glad. She's such a funny pony with her wild mane :D

kmlautanen.fi

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 08:02:24 AM »
I've seen the fading-to-light blue color thing happen with other ponies.   Hopscotch comes to mind.   Usually you see fading to more of a white color with Peachy's hearts, but sometimes that pink paint can have slight traces of blue, which stay behind when the pink fades out.    I have a German HK Peachy with the pat.pend marks scratched out.   Are yours gouged like this, or are they more of a smooth melted look?   I'm always looking for new variations of Peachy  :)

I also think you're spot-on about the rainbow pony variants.   I've been keeping each slight variation of any rainbow pony that comes my way. This is why my rainbow pony shelf looks like this!

Some have small glitter particles, others large glitter, different shades of glitter, thick and thin applications of glitter, some with paint behind the glitter and others without paint.   It's a whole big mess trying to sort them out.  I have 11 "different" Windy ponies.   For Tickle, I have four right now, and I think three are legitimately variants of eachother.   

Gold Glitter

Gold Glitter - thin  (could just be same as a above, but I keep it just in case it's a legitimate difference)

Silver Glitter - not a spec of gold!  Looks pretty legitimate to me.   I've had three of these over the years, all of which came from the northern European area.

Dull glitter / sandy or rust looking glitter. Could possibly be a degraded symbol of the first Tickle, but I feel it's either a different release or was made with a different type of glitter. 

This last one is really weird. The glitter isn't very sparkly.   I think what happens is that plasticizer leaks out from the vinyl and reacts with the glitter, causing it to melt, rust or become dull.   The Sunlight picture below supports this theory.  I've seen this happen with pretty much every rainbow pony.   What I don't know is if there's a specific variation or release of Rainbow ponies that tend to leak plasticizer more, or another theory is there's a glitter type that's prone to breaking down.    Because of that Sunlight picture, I don't think this glitter type looked like this at the time it was applied.   But that doesn't mean it's the same glitter that's used on ponies that still look nice and sparkly. 

Different factories used different supplies, and rainbow ponies were also re-released different years, so factories could have changed their glitter and plastic suppliers.   I've one of those people that thinks "white Windy" is a specific type of purple Windy that's prone to losing her color easily, produced by a factory in a certain European region.  Some factories used pink hair that faded easily to white, and other factories used pink hair that holds up over time and environment changes.    But pin-pointing these types of variations to specific countries or year releases is not a job I've wanted to take on, because I would permanently look like this:  :shocked:

MOC Sunlight (not my photo) - Gold glitter is in the process of becoming dull. Silver glitter is almost entirely absorbed / broken down.  I have other images of rainbow ponies MOC that show this process can happen while sealed up. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal