collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Custom help?  (Read 666 times)

Offline mopthebunny

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Oooh, who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
    • View Profile
Custom help?
« on: January 29, 2017, 09:21:52 AM »
I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered before, but I couldn't find any other threads.

Can anyone let me know whether you can or cannot bake fimo clay onto ponies? I've read somewhere before that you can, but I'm somewhat skeptical... :/

Also, does anybody know if you can spray paint ponies or not?

Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 01:05:28 PM by mopthebunny »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature by LordBlumiere

Offline Detka21

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Custom help?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 11:25:48 AM »
I haven't used Fimo clay on ponies yet, but I have done a few sculptures with it. What I can say is that sometimes there were some small elements which I didn't want to bake in the oven due to economical issues, therefore I heated it with my hairdryer and it was enough for it to harden. So, if you want to bake some rather thin parts on the pony, I would give a hairdryer a try. Otherwise, I would be sceptical about baking the whole pony too.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 11:42:02 PM by Detka21 »

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 12:57:19 PM »
I have succesfully baked several ponies with Fimo, as long as you follow the temperature guidelines and keep an eye on them, there shouldn't be any issues. There's only one thing... I'm not sure if baking ponies in your kitchen oven is healthy.  :lookround: I prefer not to do it anymore, especially since there are clays that are better and more durable anyway (I use Apoxie). I still use Fimo occasionally for sculptures, accessories and such that can be baked separately though. But just to answer your question, yes it can be done.

I don't recommend oven bake clays for anything heavy like wings, however. Ponies go all wobbly in the oven and they are likely to collapse under heavy sculpted parts. Hope this helps!

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 01:32:18 PM »
You can bake small amounts of Fimo or Sculpey onto ponies, as Griffin said. I've used Super Sculpey for larger work with no issues too, just have to provide support during baking.  ;)

I used a spray paint once, it went very tacky...I won't be trying that again.  >_<
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline mopthebunny

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Oooh, who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 02:25:41 PM »
Thanks so much everyone!

Griffin Thanks for the heads up on that! Where do you get Apoxie clay from?

Detka21 I think I might try that hairdryer technique, then :D

Whippycorn Ah, so it sounds like spray paint is a no-no, then :P  What do you paint your customs with?

Signature by LordBlumiere

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 03:33:13 PM »
You can use oven bake clays on ponies, but with G1, which are more hallow, the legs can become weak under extra weight as they get hot. All ponies get a little wobbly when hot, but I have never had major issues. Just let them cool down before doing anything else.

If you heat oven baked clay with a hairdryer, it can bake unevenly and cause problems down the road with cracking or adhering to the pony. It could apear hard on the outside but you can't see if it's even throughout.

You can buy apoxie sculpt from a few places online.

Best paints are acrylics. Spray paints and nail polish don't react well with the pony vinyl.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline Detka21

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 11:47:21 PM »
Well, I suggested that hairdryer works on small elements, but yes, it is not hot enough to harden thicker ones. However, I wouldn't present my idea if I didn't try it out, but I did and I was satisfied with the result ;) In fact, I often heated Fimo this way when I made ears or horns, but I wouldn't even dare trying this with tails or feet. So, as I said, it really depends on what you want to bake :) Oh, and I baked Schleich horses a few times - nothing happened to them, but they are made of very hard plastic. Ponies' plastic (at least G3, I'm not sure about the others) is much thinner, but if the others said that nothing bad happens with them, then I would give it a try!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 02:01:27 AM by Detka21 »

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 03:16:36 AM »
Good quality acrylics are a must. So is an alcohol-free sealant (i learned that the hard way too :lookround:)
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal