collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Buying A Tablet. Advice?  (Read 1118 times)

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
Buying A Tablet. Advice?
« on: January 27, 2017, 05:42:23 PM »
I've decided that I am going to buy a tablet. I'm leaning toward an 8 inch model like the iPad Mini 4, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 or Nvidia Shield. I can't seem to make up my mind how much space I want it to have.

I plan to use it for: writing / web browsing / e-mail / social media / gaming / reading e-books / listening to audiobooks or music / backing up writing and art / occasional photography (photographing items from a swap box; not taking it out and using it in public! this part is short term til I get a new phone. :lol: ) I may also grab a stylus and mess around with art programs, but that's a bonus; not a primary purpose.

I find typing on a touch screen less painful than using a keyboard some days (I have arthritis), so I figure I'll grab this and then update my main pc since that'll take longer than getting the tablet will.

Anyone have any thoughts on which tablet would be a good match? Thanks for taking the time to look. :)

Swap Wishlist

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Buying A Tablet. Advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 10:43:48 PM »
Do you have a computer already?  Is this in addition to a computer or instead of one?  That might make a difference.  :)

I can only speak for iPads.  Everything I have is Mac (MacBook, iPhone, iPad, etc.)  I love my iPad because everything syncs perfectly.  iTunes and iPhoto run easily across the gamut.  The interfaces are, IMHO, easy to learn.  Pages (the only writing app on iPad) works pretty well for writing (and I have used it for typing, though not on the mini.)  Kindle and iBooks both work well.

However, if you have anything on Microsoft Word, it won't transfer over easily.  (Pages does not look like Microsoft Word and the two don't always play well together.)  If this is important to you; if you already have a lot of files in .doc format, it might be better to get something else.  For that matter, PC things in general don't play well on Mac (and vice-versa.)  Since everything I have works on a Mac, this doesn't bother me.  It might bother others, especially if you're not used to Mac apps or operating systems.  If you don't like how iTunes runs or how Pages looks, don't buy an iPad.   

If you do buy one, though, I highly recommend AppleCare Plus.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 11:10:23 PM »
I have an Amazon fire that i got for about $50. i use it whenever I am too lazy to turn the laptop on. I mostly use it for netflix and surfing.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 04:32:01 PM »
If you're using it for photography, I suggest an iPad mini. I loved mine. When my screen cracked, my little boy dropped it, I bought a kindle fire HD. I like it almost as much as my ipad, but the camera is rubbish. The only reason I didn't replace the screen, was I had the original iPad mini (it's 6 years old) and the screen had been replaced once already. Instead of buying another screen, I'm saving up for a new iPad.

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 06:03:50 PM »
If you do go for drawing on whichever you choose or just are using a stylus in general...don't forget to get a screen protector.

I dropped $400 on a surface pro 3, got an ASUS pen, drew for a little while...and it scratched my screen in multiple places within 2 days. :pout: I was less than happy. Even if it says "anti scratch rubber material" and whatnot...don't trust it like I did. Better safe than sorry if minor scratches bug you like they do with me lol.

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 06:34:05 PM »
If you do go for drawing on whichever you choose or just are using a stylus in general...don't forget to get a screen protector.

I dropped $400 on a surface pro 3, got an ASUS pen, drew for a little while...and it scratched my screen in multiple places within 2 days. :pout: I was less than happy. Even if it says "anti scratch rubber material" and whatnot...don't trust it like I did. Better safe than sorry if minor scratches bug you like they do with me lol.

This, I always go for the extra mile and get a decent screen protector, yeah more money spent on the tablet but it will save your screen. I have one of those crystal screen protectors on both my Tab 2 and my S7 and its the kind where if you drop it the protector will crack before the screen will.

also I don't know if the newer Tab Series support drawing, cause mine doesn't even if i use a stylus on it. I'm looking into getting either a SurfacePRo or the Samsung Note tablet though my pipe dream tablet is a cintiq XD which is expensive
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 11:24:33 PM »
I personally like Apple products. I have an iPad mini and an iPhone and love that they sync and I can have the same things on both of them easily. I also appreciate how easy to use apple products are.

My SO has an iPad Pro (she does art on a daily basis) and uses the Apple Pencil on it. She LOVES it. It's actually a really neat technology. I believe they have iPad pros that are about the size of an iPad mini now.

If you're interested in apple products at all, I suggest going into an Apple Store. They have all of their products on tables to mess around with and see what you like.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 02:21:09 AM »
I have a samsung galaxy tab 4. I like it but it has it qirks. I can't speak for drawing, it works well with simple games, but almost every King game (bubblewitch, candy crush etc) crash so I don't play anymore. The camera is not good. It works well for surfing and listning to music through bluetooth speakers.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 09:21:57 AM »
Drat.  This is the second post that I was going to go full hog on...with recommendations on a DRAWING tablet >> (the first was maybe a year ago xD)

Sorry, don't have any advice on what you are looking for :(

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 01:55:32 PM »
I personally like Apple products. I have an iPad mini and an iPhone and love that they sync and I can have the same things on both of them easily. I also appreciate how easy to use apple products are.

My SO has an iPad Pro (she does art on a daily basis) and uses the Apple Pencil on it. She LOVES it. It's actually a really neat technology. I believe they have iPad pros that are about the size of an iPad mini now.

If you're interested in apple products at all, I suggest going into an Apple Store. They have all of their products on tables to mess around with and see what you like.

I second going into an Apple store and asking any questions that you have.  The tech people are really friendly and knowledgable.  I've gone in multiple times with questions before buying anything.

Also, if you want an iPad product and can wait, the new ones are rumored for a March release.  :) 
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal