collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pokemon Duel!  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
Pokemon Duel!
« on: January 26, 2017, 09:22:02 AM »
Game trailer

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Is anyone else playing this mobile phone game? I installed it a few days ago, when it was released here in the US and it's pretty fun so far. More engaging than Pokemon GO, that's for sure. Other than that, I can't really compare the two since they aren't even remotely the same. Pokemon Duel is about strategy and building a good team, and that's something that I was missing with Pokemon GO.

Apparently the game has been released in Japan for quite some time, unsurprisingly. People have compared it to Dokkan Battle, a DBZ game. My husband plays that game and it seems fun, but I felt that it was too late for me to jump in since I may have missed out on some cool event characters. The release of Pokemon Duel helped fill that void a little, though. :lol:

In the game, you're given 6 Pokemon to start with and you battle with them. So far it seems like only Gen 7 Pokemon haven't been included, but I'm sure they'll be available soon.

This is my team right now. The gold and purple boxes you see are going to open soon and give me new Pokemon and items, hopefully:

And these are all the Pokemon I've collected so far:

I do have a few issues:
1. Searching for an opponent takes an incredibly long amount of time sometimes. I'd say that maybe 90% of the time, I've waited almost 5 minutes for a partner to be found. This wouldn't be such an issue, but each game lasts less than 10 minutes so I don't feel like I'm accomplishing much when I spend so much time waiting for a match.
2. Not a huge fan of how everything is based on chance. You use a spinner to determine your move, if you miss, or if you use a defensive move. You use a spinner to determine who goes first. Aside from cards you can use to help you (such as waking a sleeping Pokemon up or adding extra strength to your attacks) it feels a little unbalanced when you constantly spin "miss" and your opponent always hits.
3. Lots of errors-- for now. I understand that launching this game in so many countries at once has caused issues with the servers, and I'm willing to forgive them for that. But I know I'd play this game a lot more if I could get past the home screen sometimes. Usually I have to force close the game several times before it actually loads. I'm hoping this is fixed in the future.

I still think it's worth giving a shot. After you play the tutorial, you'll know right away if this game is for you. I also like that it's free-to-play, although there are options to use money to purchase in-game currency which you can use for items, such as boxes that contain new Pokemon to use. Gems are used to buy items in the store in the game, and they've been pretty generous with gems. You get them for completing missions each day, logging in, etc. so buying items is actually fairly easy.

Like most mobile games, it's a good time waster. Plus what Pokemon fan doesn't love new ways to collect Pokemon? I think it's neat despite all the hate I've been seeing for it.
Instagram / Want List

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Re: Pokemon Duel!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 05:22:49 AM »
I play the game but in some wifi zones (like at my work, which is a library... which should not have cruddy wifi) it doesn't like to work... I've had issues with it connecting to battle someone and with it stalling when one of the two players wins..

Other wise for the most part I have fun with it
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 05:37:18 PM »
I've had those issues too. I'm willing to give them time to correct that, and in the meanwhile I just do the offline battles. They've been doing a lot of maintenance lately, so I hope that's a good sign.
Instagram / Want List

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 07:12:13 PM »
I've had those issues too. I'm willing to give them time to correct that, and in the meanwhile I just do the offline battles. They've been doing a lot of maintenance lately, so I hope that's a good sign.
yeah I like the offline battles but trying to get new figures... my luck is not with me XD

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 02:20:29 PM »
I hadn't heard of this... I'm going to have to check it out! I'm not sure I have much room left for games on my phone, though...

Gusty

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 08:39:29 AM »
I downloaded Pokemon Dual few days ago and I love it!
I haven't encountered any problems so far, it runs smoothly and it finds battling partners pretty fast.

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 08:40:24 AM »
I downloaded Pokemon Dual few days ago and I love it!
I haven't encountered any problems so far, it runs smoothly and it finds battling partners pretty fast.

I think it was just first week bugs and stuff. It works great now!
Instagram / Want List

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 08:48:38 AM »
Thanks for posting this!  I downloaded the game last night and I'm already addicted, lol.  I can't wait to build up my team.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 12:38:46 PM »
Okay, since I can't afford tons of boosters to get the legendary figures, I put together a speedy team that uses blue and purple abilities, and it's working pretty well so far.

Infernape - The team tank.

Squirtle - Bless this tinyturtle and his impenetrable shell.  I cannot tell you how satisfying it is to see a Legendary's attack bounce off his "Protect" ability.  I only use him as defense, as he has low attack.

Bulbasaur - Bulbasaur has big swaths of Poison Powder AND Sleep Powder on her dial.  Furthermore, Bulbasaur is FAST.  (So is Squirtle, but I usually keep Squirtle close to team base.)

Dratini - I forget the name of it, but Dratini has a purple attack that punts the opposing Pokemon back to the sidelines.  Also has a thin sliver of Dragon Rage (attack 80).  Mostly I try for the purple attack, though.

Heracross - Heracross has a blue attack that allows him to toss his opponent over his shoulder.  Which can be a bad thing sometimes, since you might be tossing them closer to your base, LOL.  But what I like to do is position another of my Pokemon two spaces after Heracross.  Toss a opposing Pokemon between the two of them and the opposing Pokemon is taken off the battlefield because it's trapped.  Heracross is also great at removing beefy Pokemon who are guarding the enemy base.

Dedenne - I never expected Dedenne to be particularly useful.  Attack of 10 and 30??  But not only does Dedenne have a lot of Dodge ability, but if Dedenne is taken out while using his Nuzzle attack (which is most of his dial), then the opposing Pokemon becomes paralyzed!  Which means that one of their attacks is turned into a "miss".  Unexpectedly useful support piece!

So that's my team right now!  What are you guys using?  Any pieces you are thinking of experimenting with?  I think Spearow's Flyaway ability (which allows it to hop over opponents) could be useful.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 06:26:11 AM »
Maybe I'll run across you guys one of these days hard to say though XD

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 11:28:56 AM »
Since so many people are running Water types for the most recent event, I've added Pichu to my team.  For a Pokemon who only has 40 attack and a big swath of Miss . . . he is still AMAZING against a Water team.  Any Water pokemon who fights him will become paralyzed--regardless of whether Pichu is knocked out or not--even if they spin a blue or purple attack.  Paralysis will turn one attack into a Miss.

Best fight:  Pichu defeated a Blastoise in two hits;  Pichu's first attack paralyzed Blastoise.  (Pichu rolled a miss, Blastoise rolled Mirror Coat (purple move), which had no effect on Pichu.)  The paralysis disabled Blastoise's only white attack, Hydro Pump, leaving it completely unable to hurt Pichu.

Most of the time, though, I assume that Pichu will be knocked out when I use him.  I depend on the rest of the team to knock out whoever he paralyzed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal