collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Spa  (Read 673 times)

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
Pony Spa
« on: January 25, 2017, 02:04:26 PM »
I am posting about everyone's pony spa habits, rituals, and regiments. I am slowly taking out my collection for display and noticing more dirt, marks, and messy manes than I remember. Usually I use a Magic Eraser but that seems to sometimes just move the dirt around and I am scared to use it over any painted areas like eyes and symbols. I suck at hairstyling, they never get smooth and soft but hard/stringy from drying and crappy. I am also scared to remove pony heads to clean inside even though I know it showed be done.

So, help me learn and gain confidence in pony grooming by sharing your tricks, tips, products, and even screw ups so I can learn too!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Spa
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 03:57:43 PM »
For me for hair thats dry and super tangled/rats nest, I give them a nice shampoo for any grime or dirt that might be trapped in the hair. Same with the body. After I rinse the hair and then lather in conditioner. Then brush that nest with a comb, start from the bottom and work your way up. After for me depending on how bad the hair is I'll leave the conditioner in there for a few hours, I find that it has pretty good results. Rrinse out the hair, then try to style the way you want. I use pens (with caps on), wrap the hair around and wrap a towel to keep everything in place.

Here are some shots of a fs fluttershy I required a few weeks back. Hope this helps and good luck :)

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 04:03:34 PM »
I've only had to do gentle cleaning on my ponies (the most extensive was scrubbing out/rinsing out some rust flecks from my Flutterbye, it wasn't bad enough to have spread into legit tail rust), but I do use the magic eraser for body dirt so I can offer some tips for you!

I personally have not had any issues over eyes/symbols, but I don't scrub nearly as hard as I do over the rest of the body. It does take some elbow grease to get some marks off and I find if I use a clean dry paper towel or cloth as I clean with the magic eraser you can get a better look at your progress (since it can move a bit of dirty water around). Also rinse/wring out the magic eraser a bit during to clean it out!

For hair if it's dirty I'll use some soap and wash it out in warm tap water, brush it out then squirt some conditioner in it. Let the conditioner sit for a while and rinse it out really well again with warm tap water (the tap I use doesn't get super super hot) and then I brush it again, dry it with a towel a bit then wrap it around the pony's body usually. I get varying results with this, but that's more down to the pony's hair condition to begin with.

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 05:24:55 PM »
heres what I do with my G1's:

1) I take its head off with HOT water
2) I take the tail out
3) I clean the head and body with a magic eraser (and sometimes an old toothbrush)
4) I take off any additional marks off with acetone (except not over any painted areas) then I run water over it
5) I shampoo and condition the mane
6) I take the metal washer off of the tail
7) I shampoo and condition the tail
8) wait for the mane and tail to dry
9) put the tail back in and re attach it with a zip tie (I do this to prevent rust)
10) put the head back on

That's basically all I do, if you need some more tips go here: http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline Pinkie-kitty

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • G3 is my favorite<3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 09:59:17 PM »
I've only ever cleaned up G3 and G4. I usually always start by washing their hair really well then I'll put in conditioner. While the conditioner is still in I'll brushed from bottom to top. Depending on how bad their hair is I'll sometimes opt to keep the conditioner in for a few hours. Otherwise I just rinse it out. Sometines I want curly hair so to do that I usually wrap it around something such as a pen or straw. If I want wavy hair I usually opt for a braid then remove it once it's dry. Otherwise if I just want some dimension in the hair I will wrap the hair around one hoof and secure with a hair tie. That usually just gives it a little dimension so it's not flat. As for their body, I always used a rag and some water. Possibly dawn dish soap if it's a little dirty. I've never tried a magic eraser so idk! I've had a few ponies that have had bad marker spots on it and I've never found a way to get those off. I've also never tampered with taking their heads off because most of my ponies have been in good condition and haven't needed that.

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 08:47:35 AM »
Pikashoes: that is an amazing transformation of FS. My hair trials never turn out that nice.

Is it hard to take the heads off and clean inside, redo the tail, etc.? I know many do it but I am afraid to ruin my ponies. Also, for getting them wet/submerged in water, aren't you afraid they will mold?

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline PJSparkles

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Here comes PJ Sparkles!
    • View Profile
    • (A) Tumblr :)
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 09:08:17 PM »
I get a lot of my ponies from thrift stores, so im quite used to them being grubby :P

For the body, I fill up a small bowl/container with dish soap and water and use either a dish brush or a tooth brush to scrub it off, then rinse it off in the sink. I check the results under good lighting, and then keep scrubbing in any areas that are particularly filthy. Magic erasers are good for getting off miscellaneous scuffs and paint marks, or particularly stubborn dirt, but it might take a bit of pressure and patience depending. if there's random paint splotches on the non-painted areas, you can use a bit of acetone/nail polish remover on a q-tip (but rinse it off with water afterwards, just in case) For dirt on painted areas, go slowly and do tiny circles with the magic eraser or a toothbrush. I was even able to get some random splotches off of a symbol that way, and with no noticeable damage!

Hair depends from pony to pony. sometimes i'm unable to tame manes, but most of the time a shampoo and conditioner treatment works just fine. I usually run hair under warm water  (avoiding the base of the tail or the hair plugs) and get it soaking wet. shampoo helps to get out grime, and conditioner makes it less frizzy and more soft. I personally like to comb through the hair while it's lathered up to get out the snags. Then, I part the hair in the general direciton i want it in and run it under hot water again, then cold.  It usually works well for me!

That got a bit lengthy. I hope that this information was helpful to you!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal