collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Value of restored ponies?  (Read 470 times)

Makaroni_the_pony

• Trade Count: (0)
Value of restored ponies?
« on: January 22, 2017, 03:48:45 PM »
I've been wondering this a while but does a restored pony lose it's value, retain the exact value it had as a damaged pony, or regain the value it would have had new?

Obviously these things would vary depending on the pony restored and the quality of the restoration, but let's just assume it's a fairly common pony (who tampering with won't harm, like Sundance) with well repainted symbols/eyes, rehairing, and sunfading.

How much have you guys been able to sell restored ponies for, if you've been able to sell them at all?

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Value of restored ponies?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 05:10:02 PM »
Depends largely on the type of restoration and how well it's done, to a lesser extent.

Something where you can't tell the difference, like replacing a tail with a matching vintage one, will increase value for almost all collectors - they'd rather have a pony that's complete. 

Rehairing can go either way.  For common ponies, it may marginally increase their value provided they're restored to original specifications /or/ someone's specifically looking for an alt rehair.  Very common ponies, don't bother - the replacement supplies will probably cost more than a pony with original hair.

Repaints generally kill a pony's resale value.  It's extremely difficult to replicate factory finish, matching color, evenness and texture of the original.  I won't say impossible because I've seen customs with paint as good or better than O.F., but your average resorter does not have that level of technical skill.  There's also always the risk that pigments will age differently or bleed.  Anytime anything is added to a pony's surface, you're taking a risk.

Sunfading generally only improves a pony's value, if the outcome is good.  It can of course go badly; certain ponies burn, or end up bleached beyond what their body color should be, which will bring down their value.

Restored ponies are harder to sell than untouched ones, in general.  Many collectors won't go near restorations because they are wary of what might have been done, or strictly want original finish in their herds.  Some are okay with certain types of restorations but not others.  It varies a lot.  Personally I don't like alterations beyond tail replacements, loose heads (actually preferred over sealed, easier to check for rust/mold), surface cleaning and sunfading.  I don't buy rehairs because I find people almost always stuff too much hair in the plugs / tail and it looks unnatural, or they glue internally instead of using the knot method.  I'd never buy repaints. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 07:34:34 PM »
I think re-hairing is a contentious one, and always will be because different people see different value in it.

I'm a G1 only collector, and personally I don't like and won't buy them (re-hairs). But that's just me. Other people relish giving a pony new life in such a manner whereas I value a pony in as original condition as possible. It's a very individual thing which will inevitably drive how much someone is willing to pay.

Either way, if you're in a position of selling, I think it's of huge importance to disclose (aside from surface cleaning) any alterations made to the pony. Nothing more infuriating (and sometimes devastating) than purchasing a pony and finding it's not what you understood to be buying - especially expensive ponies.

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 10:00:59 PM »
I think generally speaking a lot of people prefer their ponies original. Minor restoration like cleaning and styling will add value but rehairs are iffy and painting is less desirable. Personally I won't buy a pony that has touched up or redone paint. I probably wouldn't buy a rehair either but I rehair some of my own ponies which doesn't bother me.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 06:12:15 AM »
I think if you are getting a pony to keep then its your call how much you restore her to suit your collection tastes. So long as you keep a record of everything done to her in case you sell later, I don't see any issues with that. I have one pony that's been restored, which was Greek baby Bluebelle, whose eyes were gone. PKW painted them on beautifully so she can see, but I have no intention of selling her nor do I care about her value as she is not in good shape generally. I literally just rescued her and wanted to let her see again, so in that instance, it wasn't a problem. She's permanently 'altered', but she's also permanently staying with me, so nothing lost.

If you have a damaged pony and intend to sell, I would sell it as is. Let the new buyer make the choice for their collection preferences. Otherwise you limit your buying market by choosing the restoration options for the potential buyer.

I personally think that all restoration or alteration reduces the price value of a pony. Tail replacement is maybe the only exception, providing the tail is from a donor pony of the exact same pony, not another with similar colour scheme. That aside, all damage restoration is altering the pony's state somehow and that's essentially 'tampering' with it, even if that 'tampering' is intending to improve its aesthetic. I also include breaking the neck seal, because although you can do great cleaning work inside a pony that way, it's also harder to guarantee that the pony hasn't been rehaired or retailed at the same time. While most people are honest about restoration things, some either aren't, or don't realise it's important.

Because it's hard to know the long term impact of things like glue or paint on a pony restoration as the pony's plastic changes with age, I would steer clear of any kind of alterations. We've even seen what certain chemicals can do long term after being used to remove ink stains.

I also don't like rehairs. I don't like cut hair either, but I'd rather have cut hair original than rehaired full mane. That's why I say if you are keeping it, restore to YOUR preferences, but if you are selling it, leave it to the new owner to decide, as the view of value of a restored pony varies depending on buyer aims. And once it's done, it can't be undone.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal