collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Neck Seal: To Open, or Not to Open?  (Read 431 times)

Offline vira

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Neck Seal: To Open, or Not to Open?
« on: January 21, 2017, 10:48:38 AM »
hello everyone! im hoping this is an appropriate place for this topic.

i acquired night glider not too long ago; shes in pretty good condition, no mane cuts, and only a few blemishes. however, shes got....an Odor. kind of musty, like she was stored in someones basement.

i left her in a paper bag with baking soda for maybe a week or so, no luck.

so now im wondering; should i break her neck seal to check her for mold inside, or should i try other deodorizing techniques?

if anyone has experience with deodorizing ponies, im all ears! i'd rather not crack her open, especially since i dont see any active spots on her outside, but if it sounds like i need to i will.

thanks!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline gold.standard

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Neck Seal: To Open, or Not to Open?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 11:53:35 AM »
Hmm, trying to destink but not popping her open is going to be tricky, since water just might make it worst. I personally always pop them open if I can because I can't run the risk of mold (allergic and asthmatic),especially if she smells musty there might be mold at least in my experience. But I know a lot of collectors don't like loose pony heads! I would try putting her in a heavier destinker like Odoban, or similiar brand. Dryer sheets work too. I've used both to remove cat pee smell and heavy pet odor from furniture, toys and papers. It took months, in the cases I dealt with (it was pretty gross but things worth saving, I'll spare everyone the details.) But it the must is light, maybe a week or two?
I love art and ponies so much!!

Currently seeking ponies: Galaxy, Dewdrop Dazzle, Flitterheart, Twinkleshine, Sweetie Swirl, Sweetpop, Cherry Treats, Buttons, Baby Lucky Clover, Swirly Whirly, Tutti Fruiti, Sweet Clover

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 12:09:39 PM »
If she's moldy yeah you don't want that around. That's totally gross. If you ever sell her just mention it. I'd rather have a pony that had a loose neck and mold free then the alternative.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 12:22:32 PM »
I would also too go "Off with her head!" lol. Because mold is something that I wouldn't want to mess around with. That could possibly get worse on the pony.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 12:39:56 PM »
I would try to break that seal very carefully, I have two glitter baby ponies that were so rusty on the inside they looked brown but cleaned up very well.

Offline vira

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 04:06:53 PM »
thanks everyone! i'll probably push up my sleeves and do it tomorrow!

her head is glued on pretty darn well; am i correct in remembering that its safe to use a blowdryer or hot water to loosen the glue?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 05:26:59 AM »
I've  gotten G1s who smelled quite musty but who were themselves quite clean. The plastic can pick up the smell if they're kept in a basement. I would give her an external cleaning first, let her dry, and maybe let her air out for another week or two and see if the smell improves. If there's no improvement at all in a few weeks, then it might be worth checking inside.

Elf

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 05:48:23 AM »
I've  gotten G1s who smelled quite musty but who were themselves quite clean. The plastic can pick up the smell if they're kept in a basement. I would give her an external cleaning first, let her dry, and maybe let her air out for another week or two and see if the smell improves. If there's no improvement at all in a few weeks, then it might be worth checking inside.

Elf

This is what I would do as well. I've encountered many musty smelling ponies that weren't a result of the insides being gross at all.
~Foxtale~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal