collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New ferrets!  (Read 3154 times)

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
New ferrets!
« on: January 17, 2017, 08:45:29 AM »
Meet Monster (light, female) and Munchkin (dark, male)!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Some of you probably know that my 3 previous ferrets have all passed away between Christmas of 2015 and October of last year. So it's been a few months since I've been without a ferret and it has been incredibly rough, because I loved having them around.

After giving it some time, my husband and I decided that we would take a trip to the local ferret shelter and adopt one or two of them to come home with us. The couple that runs the shelter were ecstatic that we wanted to adopt from them again, since we were only a handful of people they've ever had adopt their older, sick ferrets. This time we wanted a younger, healthy ferret. Luckily, despite the shelter overflowing with ferrets in December, they were down to just four who needed homes. Two of them had come in together, and the shelter owner would only allow them to be adopted if they left together. So we decided to take them! When they were introduced to us, Munchkin gave me so many kisses, and Monster gave me kisses too, even though we were told that she wasn't very affectionate. I took that as a sign.

They're both 3 years old, very healthy, and extremely playful. Munchkin is the tamer one of the two, and Monster definitely has a fitting name because she can be pretty wild...and she likes to nip at fingers for no reason.

It hasn't even been 24 hours yet and I'm in love, though to be fair I fall in love with ferrets that I don't even know. :lol: But these two are sweethearts and I hope they love us too.
Instagram / Want List

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: New ferrets!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 08:50:50 AM »
Look at their little faces! Congrats to you guys! Can't wait to see more pictures of them!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 09:15:37 AM »
They're so sweet! I've heard ferrets make really good pets and I'd love to have a couple one day  :)

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 09:27:38 AM »
They're so sweet! I've heard ferrets make really good pets and I'd love to have a couple one day  :)

They make excellent pets! As long as you interact with them and let them out of the cage long enough that they don't get bored. With these two, my husband and myself found that we're human jungle gyms for them. We just laid on the floor and they went crazy climbing on us. :lol:
Instagram / Want List

Offline suzy.66

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 10:31:58 AM »
They look gorgeous! Happy they found a lovely family like yours.

I really like ferrets but i am afraid of what we say on them: that they are bitting all the time and very smelly.

I had rats a lot, and i do think they are smelly lol however they never bite.

What do you think? You think it is caricatural or that there is some truth in the saying?

Thanks for your return :) i am quite interested to have the view of an actual ferret owner ^^

Thank you so much to FanRobinHood for my avatar and ZennaBug for my marvelous persona ref !

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 11:00:14 AM »
They are so cute!  :heart:

They look super snuggleable.

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »
Aww they are so sweet. Congratulations!

I too fall in love with animals that i've never met :)
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 11:45:48 AM »
They look gorgeous! Happy they found a lovely family like yours.

I really like ferrets but i am afraid of what we say on them: that they are bitting all the time and very smelly.

I had rats a lot, and i do think they are smelly lol however they never bite.

What do you think? You think it is caricatural or that there is some truth in the saying?

Thanks for your return :) i am quite interested to have the view of an actual ferret owner ^^

I'd say it depends on the ferret, like with most animals.

I've had 5 ferrets now. Two of them have been biters, and only one of them actually hurt me when she'd bite. Monster bites, but barely. I think she just does it out of frustration, and even then it doesn't hurt very much. I think younger ferrets tend to bite more than old ones, too. There are also different ways to keep them from biting, which I may have to try with Monster.

The smell isn't a problem at all. More than likely, if you adopt a ferret or buy one, you'll be getting one that has had the gland removed that causes the really bad smell. They still have a scent to them, but it isn't a strong one by any means.

Overall, I think ferrets are amazing pets. So far all of my ferrets have been very loving, well-behaved little critters-- oh, but they still love to steal things like socks, get into places they shouldn't, etc. Just normal ferret stuff. :P
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 12:00:31 PM by Rainbowrific Renia »
Instagram / Want List

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 11:51:46 AM »

They make excellent pets! As long as you interact with them and let them out of the cage long enough that they don't get bored. With these two, my husband and myself found that we're human jungle gyms for them. We just laid on the floor and they went crazy climbing on us. :lol:

:lovey:

AbrielleRose

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 12:17:50 PM »
OMG!!! They are so adorable! I had 3 ferrets when I was in high school. I miss them so much.  My life is a little bit too busy for the maintenance right now, but maybe when my kiddos are a little older and able to help care for pets I will adopt some. It will also take some coaxing the husband. I've mentioned several times that I want ferrets again and he's not a fan of the idea. I think once he plays with them and sees what frisky funny critters they are he will go for it. I have so many fun memories of my ferrets. My most mischievous one (a sable) used to go into my back pack and steal things from it, including my homework! Instead of the "dog ate my homework" it was the ferret stole it. LOL

Then I had a little one that I special ordered - black eyed white - and when he arrived I was upset that they had taken him from his mommy too young. He was so little and would cry whenever I was away from him. So I kept him in my hoodie pocket. He became very close to me and always stayed near me while my mischievous sable was always out to discover. The third was a panda and he was somewhere in between both personalities.

They were all pet store bought. I lived in a small town and they didn't have shelters or ferrets for that matter. I had to drive to the next town to see them in a pet store. Also a small town with no shelters. On top of that, I was in high school and unaware of how many end up in shelters and abandoned. If I do it again, they will be adopted.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 12:29:18 PM »
The ferret stole it! XD Bet that was one your teachers never heard before.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 12:57:59 PM »
I want to cuddle them so bad. They are so cute. Congratulations on them and I hope you have tons of fun and loveable times with them. :)
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 11:10:16 AM »
The ferret stole it? That's hilarious-- and believable!

If I do it again, they will be adopted.

This is absolutely the right thing to do!

We bought our first two ferrets from a pet store. The first one came from a store that eventually was caught up in a huge mess with the treatment of their animals. It was all over the news, people were boycotting the place... it was crazy. After that fiasco, we decided not to buy any pets from there. When we were ready for a second ferret, we got her from a Petco. That wasn't so bad, but the ferrets there always look so lonely and tired, very un-ferret like. So sad.

After that, I discovered a ferret shelter near me. After my first two died, we waited a few months, and then we fostered (and eventually adopted) an older ferret from the shelter. The lady there helped me and my husband better understand how to care for ferrets, which wasn't something that any pet store employee ever did. I'm so thankful I found the place. Ever since, I've decided that I'll only ever adopt animals.
Instagram / Want List

Offline respositob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 11:26:51 AM »
CUTENESS OVERLOAD!!!! :biggrin:

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 11:49:42 AM »
Ferret temperment has a lot to do with where you get them. Marshal farm ferrets are most pet store ferrets in the US and bred to be handled. Path Valley ferrets is another mill and has nasty ferrets from what I hear. Unaltered ferrets can be aggressive as they age. Also, I think in countries where they still use them for hunting you ate likely to find more aggressive ferrets. In my experience, with 6 ferrets, babies nip but none of my adults have ever bitten. All Marshall ferrets. And yes they can reek. You must keep up on cleaning and a good diet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal