Pony Talk > Off Topic

Anyone work in a Zoo / with captive animals?

(1/3) > >>

Tulips:
Last year was full of big changes for me. I quit my job of five years Dog Grooming, moved, and ended up getting a simple job... but I'm thinking about a new career.

There was an ad on Facebook that kept catching my eye and I finally clicked on it, studying to qualify for zoo keeping etc...
I've worked in the pet care industry but why not live the childhood dream and work in a zoo?

Can anyone tell me stories or experiences that might inspire me to pursue this career path? I'm really lost at the moment and would appreciate any and all guidance/advice.

Thanks  :)

karrie91:
I wanted to do this as well but I heard it was hard to get the jobs. About 1 in 5 people get hired to be a zoo keeper.  :huh:

But! Don't let me a debbie downer. If it's something you are passionate about, I absolutely encourage you to pursue it! You never know! I do remember watching a documentary back in the early 2000's called The Little Zoo That Could. It actually was very interesting and explained a lot of the struggles/duties/jobs that zoo keepers preform. I suggest looking it up. It was really inspiring.

Pokeyonekenobie:
While it's not quite the same as being a zookeeper, I used to drive the trucks on the Kilimanjaro Safari at Disney's Animal Kingdom.  I LOVED watching the baby elephants play in the water and it was always a special treat when the baby giraffes would come up to the trucks and lick their reflections in the mirrors.  Baby flamingos are adorable little puffballs and having black rhinos run alongside the truck was always amazing and terrifying because of how strong they are.  If they felt like it, they could probably have rammed into the side of the trucks.  Ostriches are mean, though.  Avoid those.  They peck at you just because they can reach you.

If it's a hard field to get in to, that just means that everyone is looking for the best.  Which, when you think about it, is a good thing.  The animals need the best.  Anything worth doing is worth doing right.  So if you really want to pursue it, go for it!  Work hard and you'll have your pick of animal care locations.  Good luck!

PJSparkles:
Working in a zoo was one of my childhood dreams...I probably clocked in well over 100 hours playing zoo tycoon as a child. :P

That being said, getting into a zoo is somewhat difficult. Actually, I've been rejected from the same one at least 7 times. Like a lot of businesses, they do a lot of inside hiring--and they usually want people with several years of experience of working with at least farm animals. A couple of very expensive post-bachelor degrees don't hurt, either.

From what i've seen and heard from my fellow biologists, your best chance of getting into a zoo is working as an intern for a while---which is usually, unfortunately, not a very well-paying job (sometimes unpaid, actually). However, you may be able to work with animals in unexpected settings, as well. I have a friend who works keeping horses for a special needs summer camp. There are also plenty of places that take in unwanted exotic pets, and small local zoos as well.

It's definitely going to take a lot of hard work! But if you really love the animals, you'll find a way. :) If you do, give me pointers--I'm a bit lost myself. :P

Pokeyonekenobie:
Check into doing an internship with Disney at the Animal Kingdom.  I think they put them up on DisneyCareers.com when they're available.  If you put "Animal" into the search engine and then go to the filter list on the side of the page under "Business" and click on "Disney Parks and Resorts" it will narrow it down a bit.  I just looked and right now they're looking for a Seasonal Vet Tech and a Salaried Animal Keeper.  That'll at least give you an idea of what kind of qualifications they're looking for so you can figure out where to start with any education/training.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version