collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone work in a Zoo / with captive animals?  (Read 661 times)

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
Anyone work in a Zoo / with captive animals?
« on: January 13, 2017, 05:55:13 PM »
Last year was full of big changes for me. I quit my job of five years Dog Grooming, moved, and ended up getting a simple job... but I'm thinking about a new career.

There was an ad on Facebook that kept catching my eye and I finally clicked on it, studying to qualify for zoo keeping etc...
I've worked in the pet care industry but why not live the childhood dream and work in a zoo?

Can anyone tell me stories or experiences that might inspire me to pursue this career path? I'm really lost at the moment and would appreciate any and all guidance/advice.

Thanks  :)
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone work in a Zoo / with captive animals?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 06:17:03 PM »
I wanted to do this as well but I heard it was hard to get the jobs. About 1 in 5 people get hired to be a zoo keeper.  :huh:

But! Don't let me a debbie downer. If it's something you are passionate about, I absolutely encourage you to pursue it! You never know! I do remember watching a documentary back in the early 2000's called The Little Zoo That Could. It actually was very interesting and explained a lot of the struggles/duties/jobs that zoo keepers preform. I suggest looking it up. It was really inspiring.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 08:41:59 PM »
While it's not quite the same as being a zookeeper, I used to drive the trucks on the Kilimanjaro Safari at Disney's Animal Kingdom.  I LOVED watching the baby elephants play in the water and it was always a special treat when the baby giraffes would come up to the trucks and lick their reflections in the mirrors.  Baby flamingos are adorable little puffballs and having black rhinos run alongside the truck was always amazing and terrifying because of how strong they are.  If they felt like it, they could probably have rammed into the side of the trucks.  Ostriches are mean, though.  Avoid those.  They peck at you just because they can reach you.

If it's a hard field to get in to, that just means that everyone is looking for the best.  Which, when you think about it, is a good thing.  The animals need the best.  Anything worth doing is worth doing right.  So if you really want to pursue it, go for it!  Work hard and you'll have your pick of animal care locations.  Good luck!

Offline PJSparkles

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Here comes PJ Sparkles!
    • View Profile
    • (A) Tumblr :)
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 09:12:05 PM »
Working in a zoo was one of my childhood dreams...I probably clocked in well over 100 hours playing zoo tycoon as a child. :P

That being said, getting into a zoo is somewhat difficult. Actually, I've been rejected from the same one at least 7 times. Like a lot of businesses, they do a lot of inside hiring--and they usually want people with several years of experience of working with at least farm animals. A couple of very expensive post-bachelor degrees don't hurt, either.

From what i've seen and heard from my fellow biologists, your best chance of getting into a zoo is working as an intern for a while---which is usually, unfortunately, not a very well-paying job (sometimes unpaid, actually). However, you may be able to work with animals in unexpected settings, as well. I have a friend who works keeping horses for a special needs summer camp. There are also plenty of places that take in unwanted exotic pets, and small local zoos as well.

It's definitely going to take a lot of hard work! But if you really love the animals, you'll find a way. :) If you do, give me pointers--I'm a bit lost myself. :P
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:13:59 PM by PJSparkles »

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 09:37:55 PM »
Check into doing an internship with Disney at the Animal Kingdom.  I think they put them up on DisneyCareers.com when they're available.  If you put "Animal" into the search engine and then go to the filter list on the side of the page under "Business" and click on "Disney Parks and Resorts" it will narrow it down a bit.  I just looked and right now they're looking for a Seasonal Vet Tech and a Salaried Animal Keeper.  That'll at least give you an idea of what kind of qualifications they're looking for so you can figure out where to start with any education/training.

Offline joce

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 10:00:54 AM »
My brothers ex did an internship and now works at sea world. You have to have a degree. Higher the better and it is very competitive. Usually work unpaid for a while to get your foot in the door. I talked to s kid the other day who just got hired by our zoo and he said it was horribly competitive and he had been doing volunteer opportunities and then internships since he was young. Jobs don't open often and like my brothers ex you may move cross country to get one.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 02:57:43 PM »
Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone. Since I'm in Australia internships aren't really a thing here, and they're paid when they do occur. Luckily I have a zoo and a wildlife sanctuary nearby (plus some theme parks with animal attractions) and the course I would do has work experience placement so that would sort of be my foot in the door to show them what I've got.

I think I'm gonna do it, I'm getting excited. The entire course is online so I'll be able to study around my work schedule. Even if it takes some time to land a job I'll be happy to have the degree under my belt.
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Kanchii

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 03:09:23 PM »
I feel like you need to know the bad stuff first soooo: it's really hard to get a job with a zoo even if you have a ton of education and experience, very few hire. And if they do, you're probably just a poop cleaner for many years. Also, they really don't pay well. :( It's the sad reality.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 07:33:45 PM »
Just make sure it's a "real" program before you sign up, especially since it's totally online.  The fact that they're advertising online with a Facebook ad sounds suspicious to me.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 09:15:32 PM »
Just make sure it's a "real" program before you sign up, especially since it's totally online.  The fact that they're advertising online with a Facebook ad sounds suspicious to me.

Yeah, I had iffy thoughts about that too but I noticed they're affiliated with a TAFE, so I went and found the same course offered dirrectly through TAFE Brisbane. I'm going to research my nearby zoos/wildlife parks and get in contact to ask what I can expect trying to start a career in the field.

It's weird, whenever I've asked people about their careers I always get told that it sucks and I wouldn't want to do it (teacher, nurse, vet, artist, child care, etc...), I've never known what I wanted to do and when I fell into dog grooming it took me 5 years to realise it wasn't for me. But when I care for animals I feel like I'm doing something meaningful and important.

I actually found out today that there could be a new zoo in my local area in the next few years, except they've been struggling with the council being unreasonable for years... it would be a great opportunity if it does eventually get built.
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 11:47:37 AM »
That's really exciting. I'm glad to hear you've decided to do it! That said, as long as you're still in research mode, I would check into similar, related fields you can use your education for as well in case you can't find a job right away. And now's the time  to start doing volunteer work for agencies you might want to work for to build up experience history.

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 12:33:59 AM »
I have a lot of birds and I've almost always had birds which isn't quite the same but if the actual drudgery itself of feeding, cleaning, and doing awful medical things brings you satisfaction, then I hope you will succeed in getting into the field.

Can't express caution enough, as to the quality of the education...and make sure you don't end up with too much debt either.  Good luck!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal