collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Game of LIFE!  (Read 627 times)

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
The Game of LIFE!
« on: December 31, 2016, 05:20:50 AM »
I discovered my most recent favourite board game this summer  :D Been able to score two things: the most recent edition of the game and the 1998 PC version.

Even the PC game's graphics are quite outdated, I think they still got some of that sweet 90's charm, and I enjoy playing it on my spare time.

The actual game, on the other hand... although I appreciate that my little niece enjoys it and I like some details (for example, the new jobs or that they ask you to perform a silly action with the fused Action Cards/Life Tiles, like naming your pet goat or show your moves for a dance contest - I think that's a cute idea)... it is really dumbed down, you know? Like a weird mix of Candyland and Monopoly where you take out cards and win loads. There's never a feel of "losing big" like the old one did. And they removed the house/car insurances, the stocks, and all those little details I like from the PC version  :(

So I'm trying to enhance my current board game with house rules (maybe even more, customized cards?), in case some of my more grown-up cousins want to play too.

Oh well, enough talking about me, this thread is for discussing all things related to the Game of Life! Share your experiences, pictures, ideas... and if you happen to know any forum dedicated to "mainstream" board games like this one or own one of those licensed versions (heard there was a MLP one?), please let me know!

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
Re: The Game of LIFE!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 02:18:11 PM »
That is my FAVORITE board game. I used to play it a ton as a kid and have played it a couple times with my boyfriends family over the last few years. It's always interesting how to see it turn out. Sometimes you win big, other times you end up with no kids, no nice car, and losing your job and ending up with some crappy one. I believe they have apps for it as well.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 12:35:54 PM »
I used to love this game! I picked it up last year for Christmas board games with the family but never got around to playing...I will need to get it back out soon.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 06:29:30 PM »
Life used to be my favorite game when I was younger! I should pick one up sometime!

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 06:47:59 PM »
Yes there's a Friendship is Magic version!

I have a spongebob edition and when I was younger I also had a version on the gameboy. It's not my favorite board game but I do think it's a lot of fun!
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 07:41:23 PM »
I used to love playing that game. Although we had a ton of house rules depending on who was playing.

With my cousins children could be abandoned on the road or at the church, which was eventually the closest building. Husbands could be abandoned at will. To get a divorce you dropped him on the spinner at the beginning of your turn and he flew somewhere. If he stayed on the spinner your divorce failed (which we normally rectified by keeping him under the car for the duration of the game. We ditched random job and house. We picked what we wanted with the exception that if you wanted to be the cop you had to get that at random. After we got tired of losing game pieces we decided that you could be gay or just go through life with a best friend and that peg color dictated nothing (and transgender children were totally a thing or you could opt for an abortion).

It was pretty messed up when we tried to play by the rules but didn't like them. After we agreed to just change them it was pretty cool though.

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 05:43:08 AM »
My favorite game! I have that PC game and used to spend hours on it. We used to have the original board game growing up. I loved it but my mom seemed to think no one liked it, which is absurd because I always wanted to play it, and got rid of it :enraged: .  I used to try to get as many kids as I could.

I have 2 newer versions or maybe 3, but yeah they are really becoming lackluster compared to the original. The first redo was cool because you could pick your own house, job, etc. but it needs to go back to the original. They should do a retro version like they have been doing with some games and toys. I wonder what my mom did with my PC game, should find it and see if it works on my laptop! 

Side note: I even have a Jolees scrap booking sticker set of it!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 05:57:59 AM by nessa16 »

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 07:06:50 AM »
With my cousins children could be abandoned on the road or at the church, which was eventually the closest building. Husbands could be abandoned at will. To get a divorce you dropped him on the spinner at the beginning of your turn and he flew somewhere. If he stayed on the spinner your divorce failed (which we normally rectified by keeping him under the car for the duration of the game.

Oh god, I"m playing it with these rules from now on  :lmao:
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal