collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: CP Sundance Catalogue Photo  (Read 10660 times)

Offline Ember1

• Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: CP Sundance Catalogue Photo
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2017, 05:04:32 PM »
I still find it amazing that my CP prototype Sundance survived ultimate hasbro destruction. The catalogue photo of her is also just as amazing. So many things are thrown out over the years. Its amazing any prototypes have survived at all. I guess thats why collecting them is so special. They are living Hasbro history.

And the butterscotch looks odd to me as well. Certainly not a FF.  Just look at that brown saddle and unusual accessories.
What are those numbers underneath where the pony is standing? That cat is different to the one released in the normal version.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 08:41:02 AM by Ember1 »
Andre's Sunsparkler Hybrid Proto
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline tootie_tails

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2017, 02:08:52 AM »
I don't think most people think of ember's pony as "genuine" or "fake". The pony has question mark status.
My personal opinion, I don't think it has been proved either way yet. And I don't think the pony in the catalog picture is ember's.
I wouldn't be in such a hurry to decide either. There have been many question mark ponies over the years and often it took a long time before we knew. We will probably find more information about this pony too.

Did you try to contact the person you got the picture from?

-

Offline SaveThePonies

• Trade Count: (+192)
  • Moonstone Crazy mum to a Minty Crazy daughter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2017, 05:53:11 AM »
I have all the Argos catalogues from the 80's and 90's in the UK. I have been looking through them to try and find this Sundance picture and so far I have had no luck.
I don't think the picture came from an Argos catalogue in any event as it is not the correct format, ALL Argos items have a number on the picture and the picture with Sundance in the stable doesn't have an item number.
I will carry on looking and when I have found all the Show Stable's I will share the pictures in this thread :)
Looking for Moonstones, Minty's and Nirvana Babies  :shocked:

Fairytails Birds face book page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/FairyTails.Birds/

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2017, 06:14:46 AM »
I guess i just completely disagree tootsietails and i know other members feel the same as I do as they have already said so. CP Sundance now has as much proof as any other prototype has. Even more than some do as most dont have catalogue or promo evidence proving their existance. Should all prototypes be looked at as ??????? within the community?

There will always be mystery with any prototype but to give them all an indefinate question status isnt the answer in my opinion.
I choose to celebrate the new findings we discover and accept them based on the evidence that we have. We will never have the whole picture. But that doesn't stop me from accepting and appreciating what is. 

That the last ill be saying on this topic. I hope everyone enjoyed the new discovery. I know I did. Hasbro history is amazing and I hope there will be many more new discoveries in the future.

P.S i do hope the rest of that promo magazine turns up too.
 :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:43:28 AM by Ember1 »
"Love is the only truly immortal thing in this world, and if we can learn to love
unconditionally, than it is possible to break down the barriers of death itself."

Offline Ponyland

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Puffy stickers are my currency! Trade with me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2017, 02:11:12 PM »
I have all the Argos catalogues from the 80's and 90's in the UK. I have been looking through them to try and find this Sundance picture and so far I have had no luck.
I don't think the picture came from an Argos catalogue in any event as it is not the correct format, ALL Argos items have a number on the picture and the picture with Sundance in the stable doesn't have an item number.
I will carry on looking and when I have found all the Show Stable's I will share the pictures in this thread :)

That's great work SaveThePonies! :) If it isn't present in them it would mean that the image probably is a stock photo from Hasbro, and that Argos didn't always arrange their own photo shoots. I wish I could find the UK Hasbro Toy Catalogue, sent to retailers, from 1985 and 1984. She is not present in the 1986 catalogue, but she could be in one of them...
My collection at Snupps:http://snupp.it/d8NITq
Instagram: @iPonyland

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2017, 04:21:10 PM »
Ponyland I went looking for images of Megan's Place to see if CP Sundance features in one of the images, but hit a dead end :( The Sears Catalogue images only have shy pose Sundance and Megan's Place in the correct colours.

Let's see what STP finds ^.^

I guess eliminating things is the way to starts!

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2017, 12:57:38 AM »
Oh Ember, CP Sundance is so beautiful! I'm so happy to see such a unique Sundance prototype has survived and is in loving hands.

I think the similarities are enough to prove her as real. The symbol is very distinctive and low on the catalogue photo. It looks like her forelock is tucked behind her face and the fence, similar to how it hangs in your photo Ember. Of course it would be awesome to get a higher quality scan, or even photo, of the catalogue image but really... I don't see a reason for so much heavy skepticism about this one pony. I doubt people would let up even if Sundance was posed in a reaction of the catalogue shot and it looked almost identical (as I'm sure it would). :/

Sundance is gorgeous! Congrats on owning her and finding the catalogue evidence, Ember! I hope you continue to share her with the community despite all the negativity.

Offline Ponyland

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2017, 03:05:06 AM »
I still find it amazing that my CP prototype Sundance survived ultimate hasbro destruction. The catalogue photo of her is also just as amazing. So many things are thrown out over the years. Its amazing any prototypes have survived at all. I guess thats why collecting them is so special. They are living Hasbro history.

And the butterscotch looks odd to me as well. Certainly not a FF.  Just look at that brown saddle and unusual accessories.
What are those numbers underneath where the pony is standing? That cat is different to the one released in the normal version.

Interesting pic!!

Below is how the Prototype show stable is pictured in the 1983 Hasbro Toy Catalog from the toy fair in february 1983. (my own example)
(there should be a even earlier version, which was sent out in december to promote the upcoming years toy's, known as the Spring Catalog, I haven't seen the pic's in that one though, but often the prototypes are in a earlier stage in the early catalog.)

Hasbro UK had their own Toy Catalogues, and I think that the pic of butterscotch with pretty parlor most likely is from the 1983 Hasbro UK catalogue.But I haven't found any jet for my collection. :)

(notice the similarities in the set up, with the green back drop used in both the Argos pic (although grainy image quality ) and the clean and non grainy Hasbro catalog... I really think the Argos picture was taken by Hasbro UK. It's just as with the pic's of Sundance Stable and Lemon Drop Stable. Same back drop for them both.  )

edited to ad:

Ponyland I went looking for images of Megan's Place to see if CP Sundance features in one of the images, but hit a dead end :( The Sears Catalogue images only have shy pose Sundance and Megan's Place in the correct colours.

Let's see what STP finds ^.^

I guess eliminating things is the way to starts!

Love pkw xxx

That's great work PKW! :)

Eliminating is a slow process, but it will take us somewhere in the end. I'm confident that we will find the catalog, and the origin of the pic!
I just NEED to know what is written about the stable with Sundance! I'm so curious! :)

I't would be so cool to have a picture of the catalog together with the Sundance prototype! ;) Sort of like this (I just snapped this for you as an example):

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 04:34:22 AM by Ponyland »

Offline kasin

• Trade Count: (+42)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Studio BMFC
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2017, 09:50:16 AM »
Show stable Blossom looks proto too, different symbols, short tail and very pink, the pony also matches the proto in the second photo pony land posted of the known protos.  Also worth noting that the two prototype parlors are different! look at the hooks and cats! wonder how many versions Hasbro went through and used for shoots??

might also be worth pointing out that these are some of the first ponies and playsets released, so there might have been more promotional material made using the prototypes than the later years when the MLP brand was better established.

Offline Ember1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2017, 01:01:13 PM »
Here you go ponyland. A pretty picture of her and the catalogue photo together. And for fun i put card underneath her muzzle to see what her hair would do. Looks identical to the catalogue photo. Look at the shape of her tail. Same shape :) symbols are the same size and same location. I like the photo and pony together.

Wow that blossom looks like a prototype too. Her symbols are in a different placement that the regular release.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 02:42:46 PM by Ember1 »

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2017, 03:44:45 PM »
I'm loving these side by side pictures :green:

That Twinkles makes me smile everytime I see it, reminds me of the Cheshire Cat :lol:

Ponyland I came across the 1986 catalogue on my search too :) I haven't found a 1985 one yet. There are catalogues out there though! Many seem to be owned and shared by other toy collectors. I notice GIJoe and Transformers websites have shared scans of some early catalogues, 1982 I think?

The brown saddle worn and tan coloured bridle in the Parlour with Blossom also appears in a Show Stable photo shoot, along with Brandy who has a patch over one eye. This is in the 1983 Hasbro toy fair catalogue.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2012/12/31/hasbro-1982-1995-toy-fair-retailers-catalog-scans-images-176585

I have been looking to see if I can spot any other ponies such as alternate pose Sunny Bunch and HeRtthrob with winged hearts. No such luck yet.

Love pkw xxx

Offline angelponies

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2017, 06:05:42 PM »
WOW those photos are great Ember!! It is neat seeing her next to her ad! Those other ads are crazy too!! With Blossom and that Twinkles cat LOL they are all definitely in the Oddball/prototype category of ponies!!!! So awesome!! :biggrin: loving all the new finds! Please continue to share too Em :heart:

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2017, 03:00:59 PM »
It's quite likely that it's the same prototype pony used on the pic, that Ember1 now has in her collection. The pony was "knocking about" in the UK before that if I recall correctly. Quite a few prototypes of european exclusive ponies has been found in UK, I think the creators just took their prototypes home when they were done. :)

Thank you :) It makes me shudder to think of any prototypes just being chucked away.

Here is the prototype in my collection.
She look to be the same one as in the catalogue photo.
Forlock and symbols look the same. Someone prolly just took her home and
She was saved from destruction. Hasbros policy was to destroy all prototypes.
g[/img][/URL]

Wow she is beautiful, thank you for sharing! Not seen her before, you are so lucky to have her in your collection :inlove:

I am loving these photos, and love seeing protos and oddballs anyway and with a bit of mystery thrown in, well,  this thread is pony heaven :D I would adore a prototype one day, I don't have anything like that at all, it would be awesome.

Is there any possibility the pic could be from a TRU or Woolworths catalogue?

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Ponyland

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2017, 03:07:50 PM »
Here you go ponyland. A pretty picture of her and the catalogue photo together. And for fun i put card underneath her muzzle to see what her hair would do. Looks identical to the catalogue photo. Look at the shape of her tail. Same shape :) symbols are the same size and same location. I like the photo and pony together.

Wow that blossom looks like a prototype too. Her symbols are in a different placement that the regular release.

I LOVE THIS! :D

Thank you for posting Ember1 !!

It's obvious to me that the symbol is exactly on the same place of the pony, and looking exactly the same in the shape. Considering that the symbol is hand painted, not stamped, I find it beyond doubt that your prototype is the very same pony as in the picture!

And also the picture with the forelock behind the card really proves the point!  :cool:

And just look at the base of that tail, sticking straight out from her behind! :lol:  This is not how MLP usually look, but they are both exactly the same!   
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 03:13:53 PM by Ponyland »

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2017, 04:22:40 PM »

Is there any possibility the pic could be from a TRU or Woolworths catalogue?

I didn't know Woolies had any kind of catalogue? Looks like they did I think :)

http://www.woolworthsmuseum.co.uk/toyztogether.htm

I still miss Woolworths  :cry:

Toys R Us is another good line of research. I remember Zodiac and Toy and Hobby selling ponies too, as well as WHSmiths.

Love pkw xxx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal