collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What kind of doll collector are you?  (Read 7441 times)

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
Re: What kind of doll collector are you?
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2017, 09:30:39 AM »
Dollies will always be kept as a very small collection for me. All MH sofar. I just can't let myself go overboard with dolls when I'm already crazy about ponies.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2017, 02:08:37 PM »
since MH sucks right now.

MH doesn't suck. The reboot might not be to your liking but that doesn't mean it sucks. Saying that is like a brony saying G1 sucks.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline ladyaquitaine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2017, 11:16:22 PM »
Aside from my massive MLP collection of over 800 ponies and playsets - doll collecting is my next big collection. I have Barbies and porcelain dolls from all over the world. I also have a rare line of Hot Looks Dolls from the 80s. In addition to those I collect Enchanted Kingdom Horses from the UK.

My porcelain dolls are mostly chosen based on their extravagance and uniqueness. If they are really beautiful, I will have to have them. I like princess porcelain dolls and fairy porcelain dolls. Frankly I could start a toy museum with all the dolls and other toys I collect! haha
Special thanks to Fleur-de-Lis for my Avatar!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2017, 12:10:00 PM »
I'm a small collection kind of doll collector I suppose. I used to be a "gotta catch em all" collector of Ghoulia, but a few years ago I majorly downgraded my MH collection and sold off all but 5 dolls. Now I'm mainly just focusing on resin BJDs but do occasionally buy other dolls is they catch my interest.

with BJDs I'm mostly interested in fantasy or animal dolls. I have 2 centaurs, a hippogriff, and a variety of anthro dolls. I've only recently ordered my first 2 realistic proportion full human BJDs. We'll see how that goes!

Lhianneth

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2017, 10:20:09 PM »
How I collect depends on the dolls in question. In general, I'm drawn to dolls with a bit of a dark edge or unusual features. I really admire (but have yet to buy) a lot of the fantasy range BJD artists that are out there, and follow several on Instagram, but I'm too much of a chicken to take that step yet. I've mostly stuck with fashion dolls, primarily Monster High and Ever After High, though I have several Novi Stars and hybridised Novi Stars as well.

With Monster High, because they were easy to find (they're pretty sparse here since the reboot), I went crazy collecting as many as I could. I have favourite characters (Rochelle and Venus) that I can't pass up most of the time. I have all of Rochelle's releases, plus a few extras that are custom WIPs, and I'm only missing three of Venus' releases (two of which are from the reboot, which I'm not overly fond of due to their gapping joints).

For more expensive lines, I'm definitely pickier. Partially because of the additional cost, but also because of the risk of not being 100% in love with a doll when I buy it. If I don't absolutely love a MH doll, I feel no worry about modifying the shoes, hair, outfit, etc. but with a more expensive doll, the risk of ruining the product is a lot more weighty, due to rarity, and the cost of international shipping on top of the doll's base price. That said, I have two Pullips, both of which are
darker in theme, and from the Creator's Label range (Bloody Red Hood and Alura). I also have a short list of others I'd like to get eventually, but am in no hurry at the moment, as I'm a bit short on space.

I also am just starting to dip my toes into BJDs. I have two Hujoo Freya dolls (strung ABS dolls), and an Island Doll Pocket Pet AnAn (1:12 scale resin kitten). Again, with these dolls, I'm being much pickier about my purchases, and have been researching for months before I buy my first large doll. Right now, I'm pretty sure I want a Fairyline or Minifee from Fairyland, but I haven't completely decided on the face I want, or the style I want to dress her in. I have two "characters" I've narrowed it down to, but I've yet to take the crucial step of actually buying the doll. If I'd had the money, guts, and space at the time, I would have bought Sircca's fullset in a heartbeat.

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2017, 03:44:25 PM »
I pretty much had started and stayed in the MH camp (...stares at post count from many a MH discussion...), with a fairly hefty (for me) collection of dolls. Pretty much if I liked the character/doll, I got it. (I got to have at least 20, perhaps a bit more) but very slowly fell out of that (and kind EAH after the like three dolls I got) when the quality (more jointless dolls, lack of stands, QC in general) started to slip, though a few of the MH reboot dolls do catch my eye.

A friend of mine gave me a little Hujoo BJD that she got for free when she got her last BJD so I am rather interested in a few of them myself now.. buuuuuuut without a car/jobs it has kept me from getting sucked into that right now (probably to my husband's relief, he gets creeped out by them xD). It's a shame. I like taking pictures of articulated dolls and I feel like I'd get a lot of use out of another BJD.

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2017, 01:31:36 PM »
i like cartoonish dolls
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2017, 05:17:53 PM »
I just started collecting some Barbies, began collecting Barbie Horses and it lead to getting some dolls too,mostly 90s and some 80s Barbies, I did have some  MLP EQG dolls before the Barbies :)
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline Hervoyel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy Box Revenge
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2017, 08:31:41 AM »
I'd been more of a small collection doll person, but between 2011 and 2014 I went a little overboard and ended up with a large collection. I've decided I'm happier with a smaller collection though, so now I'm trying to thin them out - it's tough deciding who to part with, but I move so often that having to pack up everything every couple of years has just gotten irritating. And once the collection is more stressful and less fun, I figure it's time to change the way I'm approaching it.  :)

Blog

Offline Caffeinecowgirl

• McDonald's Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2017, 10:32:13 AM »
I started with BJDs then slowly shifted focus to 1/6 fashion dolls. I used to like FR and all japanese/asian kind of dolls (Misaki, Annz dolls, some obscure lines from Volks and Azone, Licca, Momoko, Rune dolls, U-noa Light... name it and I probably have it or know it), and Blythe/Pullips to a lesser extent. Then had a vintage phase and started collecting folls from the 60s/70s. Then came MH. Then I decided that action figures were a thing. Then I  got interested in Disney dolls and thought I had to have some. Then playlines again. Then Blythes again...

I guess I go with anything that piques my interest at any given moment, even if I tend to stick to dolls that are unique and peculiar in some way.

I have a soft spot for redheads and PINK-haired dolls, which is a bit surprising since I don't usually like dolls that are too stereotypically "girly".

I also love kitbashing characters with 1/6 action figures, even if the hobby became a bit too expensive as of late and it's not as funny anymore...

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:56:38 PM by Caffeinecowgirl »

base by moonflower

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2017, 11:24:08 AM »
Besides ponies (all gens but not G3.5)

I collect (now this is a long list)

Barbie (90s, I used to collect these but my mum got rid of the whole set) but I restarted to collect them.

My Scene dolls

Barbie Movie dolls (Island Princess, 12 dancing princesses, swan lake, princess and the pauper just to name a few)

Wizard of Oz dolls (only got Glinda but that's to changed)

Twilight (missing Alice and a few others)

Modern Barbie (all of the fashionista dolls I've got are gonna have Made to Move bodies)

Monster High (not the re boot ones)

Ever After High

I've got a whole load of doubles of the same Ever After High and Monster High dolls to customise. Here's the list

Sailor Moon cast:

Sailor Moon
Sailor Mercury
Sailor Mars
Sailor Juniper
Sailor Venus
Sailor Neptune
Sailor Uranus
Sailor Saturn

Fire Emblem cast:
Chrom
Robin (Karina female Acatar)
Robin (Male Avatar)
Naga (Evil male Robin)
Gaius
Lissa
Panne (I've got a Barbie doll with holes in her head to make her)
Frederick
Sully
Miriel
Cordelia
Olivia
Tharja
Lon'qu
Nowi
Sumia
Cherche
Maribelle
Lucina
Gerome
Owain (Odin in Fire Emblem Fates)
Kjelle
Indigo (goes by a different name in fates)
Severa (goes by a different name in Fates)
Noire
Laurent
Yarne (don't know how I'm going to pull him off)
Brady
Nah (weird name I know)
Cynthia
Morgans (one older one is Gaius's son, the other male is Chrom's son. And all the female versions are the female characters daughters minus Female Avatar Robin)
Female and male Avatar (Fates)
Felicia
Jakob
Kaze
Sakura
Azura
Takumi
Elise
Flora
Niles
Silas
Siegbet (Xander's)
Solei (Indigo's)
Ophelia (Owairn's)
Nina (Niles')
Kiragi (Takumi's)
Sophie (Silas's)
Dwyer (Jakob's)
Midorika (Kaze's)
Forrest (Leo's)
Kanna (sons and daughters plus siblings of the ones mentioned from fates)

There's more to add
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:46:21 AM by bright rabbit 1 »

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2017, 03:06:08 PM »
I could have sworn I posted in this thread before :blink:

Well.. like all of my collections I just collect dolls I like, I've never really been a completionist - like, I'm not the kind of person to buy something just to complete a set, even though I don't really like said thing.

I was never a doll person as a kid, there were one or two I thought were okay but on the whole I preferred animal toys :D I think a lot of dolls are sort of boring.. I'm not really into normal human dolls, like Barbie and such. Not to say that I think they're ugly or anything, some of them I like, but they just don't really appeal to me, never have done.

Hmm.. I might be getting some of the details mixed up here since it's been so long now.. buuut around 10 years ago (I think it was 10 years ago, anyway.. maybe 9.. my sense of time is really skewed XD) while on holiday, I found some Ojamajo Doremi dolls and you bet I snaffled them up. I was amazed, there was anime stuff! Right in front of me, on an actual, physical shop's shelves!! There weren't any speciality nerdy shops near me at the time (not that I found these dolls in a nerd shop - they were released to coincide with the French dub of the series - but you know. Actually, I'm still not sure what they were doing there, I'm pretty sure they were old stock by that point.. -shrug- Who knows) and this was before you could walk into a normal bookshelf and find manga (at least where I lived) so this was amazing to me. *And* it was not only an anime I had heard of, but one of my favourite ones! So I got them, and they had the next set when we went back the next year (I think.. again, I might be getting the exact timeline of everything mixed up here ^^;), and I loved them but didn't do much with them.

Then some years later I started hardcore collecting Doremi stuff, hunting down the dolls and such (I think it really started when I found out they had made a doll of my favourite char, Poppu, but she was quite rare - I'd always wanted a doll of her, and the other two characters I was missing, so when I found out that they did exist.. :p I did get her after a while, btw.. -pokes avatar- She's still one of my absolute favourite dolls  :)), and then Monster High came along shortly after that and ate my brains. XP

No, but seriously, I'd admired dolls online for years but there still weren't really any that grabbed me, you know? Like, I love looking at BJDs and there's a lot that I adore (cough, Dearmine, cough) but I don't see myself ever getting one - too expensive, and honestly, I don't think I'd be able to enjoy one; I'd be too afraid of screwing it up somehow. (I do love looking at them, though ^_^) Like I say, I've always preferred animals to humans.. and MH's werecats were just *exactly* what I'd always longed for. And then I fell for the rest of them too and the next thing you know, I've been dragged down the rabbit hole of doll collecting :lol: You know how it is, you look up photos of MH and then oh look what's this interesting looking thing? Ooooh and look at this, more anthro kitty dolls! And then there's the ol' "looking at the MH aisle and this was next to them" thing, too.. :p etc etc.

So I collect an odd variety of dolls. XD I like anthros, and things that are a bit unusual. Boy dolls don't do it for me in general; I do have a few, but most playline ones are too... ehh. Too muscley and short-haired and not really my sort of dude. (I was so happy when MH Neighthan came out.. a playline boy doll with long! hair!!! *w*) Anime/Japanese boy dolls tend to be more to my tastes, but also they're more expensive. :p I do like anime dolls in general... sure they're mostly still 'humans' but they're still a bit more exciting than generic blonde hair/blue eyed dolls, you know? (No offense to those that like those kind of dolls, of course :) There are some that are nice - I do like MLP's Megan and Molly - but they're just not my thing, as a rule) I like unusual/obscure oddments, too.

So basically, I guess you could say I'm a "bit of everything" sort of doll collector :P I was hardcore collecting MH, but they pretty much went down the toilet after the reboot (I mean, there's the odd gem here and there, but in general.. -_-), Equestria Girls are dead too (:cry:) and really in general it seems like all of the current playline stuff I collect is either finished or has gone through a horrible reboot o.O So I'm sort of in doll-collecting limbo atm, haha.

Although Enchantimals seem to be getting a pretty good hold on me... :P

Offline BubblegumSlippers

• Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2017, 01:13:39 PM »
I don't really collect any specific brands. I have some old, porcelain dolls from charity shops in my area. Other than that I don't have much. About 4 Equestria Girls dolls and one Winx Club doll that I got a few years ago.
I stopped buying any recent in-store dolls or toys as many of them dropped in quality.
If I'd add to my collection, which I probably will, I'd get some of my grandma's dolls and more porcelain ones. My mother usually buys them for me as gifts. They're pretty cheap and easy to find, since the charity shops around have a bunch of them.
I really like sinister looking ones, or If I find one that speaks to me I'll definitely buy it. All of the dolls have really unique dresses.

Offline lolaandbean

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2017, 06:32:58 AM »
I collected collector Barbies in the late 90s. I sold most, but regret selling a couple of them. (Madame du Barbie and the first Vera Wang bride.) I still have Peaches and Cream. (The vintage one not the repro) I wanted her so bad as a kid and never got her. I would love to get Jewel Secrets Whitney. She was my favorite. I bought a Blythe and only had one for about 6 years. Now I have 8. I'm starting to lose interest in them and have thought about selling them. I bought a few MH dolls, but sold almost all. I have some vintage SSC dolls. I loved those as a kid. I'm collecting Dal and Byul right now. I've been thinking hard about Fashion Royalty dolls. Almost all of my current dolls I have bought used. I'm not a picky collector. A few dolls I want with stock, but most come nude. I really love articulated dolls. I think that's why I'm starting to lose interest in Blythe dolls. To me they look weird with the obitsu bodies.

Offline terabithianprince

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • The last pages are for you
    • View Profile
    • Pony Pals
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2017, 01:35:40 AM »
I started off collecting Monster High because I just LOVED Operetta and I still collect the odd one, but for me, I mostly collect dolls that I like or dolls that are unusual. I love collecting barbie since my sister and I had them as kids, and other dolls. I also like collecting Shopkins Shoppies because they're really cute. I tend to only go for dolls I like in person, dolls with nice faces and ones that aren't too big because otherwise I just don't have the space. I also have a One Direction Louis doll and some other random dolls like Novi Stars, Cherry Merry Muffin and Cupcake Surprises.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal