collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What kind of doll collector are you?  (Read 7434 times)

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
Re: What kind of doll collector are you?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 04:45:51 PM »
Picky.... I'm very picky... Lol

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 02:20:07 PM »
I buy what I like but then I usually end up regretting it. One day I'd like to be able to have a dollhouse for both AG and Barbie...

I feel this. A lot of times I get buyers remorse after I buy a new doll or go on an ebay spree. It's like, I have to have them, but once they are on their way, I've already moved on to the next thing and don't really want the thing coming in the mail.  :blush:

It is so frustrating!  One buys a toy to make them happy, that's the idea right?  Somehow "being happy because I own this toy now" never equally translates into "and I feel TOTALLY comfy about what I did to the credit card!"  I feel so much guilt and anger and frustration surrounding the stupid VISA when my husband and I look at the bill and this SCARY scary number, and all we have to show for it is well-fed bellies and SO MUCH PLASTIC CRAP Made in China.    And you can't recoup your costs on "collectible" plastic junk - I had to almost GIVE away my MH dolls when I sold them!  Despite all the purging on my collection, I still know that I paid far more for this stuff (secondhand even) than I ever have gotten back when I sell it on Kijiji.

Yeah I'm working on paying my credit cards down right now. They aren't too terrible. Christmas really put us over though. But I still can't stop buying. I buy a couple things from ebay a week it seems. And sometimes in stores as well. I'm trying to cut back since we're trying to have a baby but I know that's not going to change anything lol. We're not like broke or anything and my bf doesn't mind that I'm spending. I'm disabled so I gotta have something to do when I'm home, and collecting has helped. But I still get anxiety once I get something and I'm like "Did I really need that?!" but.. the cycle continues. As long as the dolls don't start taking over my house I should be good!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline SaelaVe

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Full-time toy enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 11:41:56 AM »
I focus first and foremost on 1:4 scale dolls.  My dolls are a "family" with detailed and interconnected stories; and I usually choose new dolls based on a role or relationship that needs to be filled.  As such, my core collection is relatively small (ten dolls in total, at the moment).

I've also become mildly obsessed with Hujoo lately. :biggrin:  I've bought up three Hujoo dolls in the last month and a half, and I'm already planning on getting another. ^^;
"I like being weird.  Weird's all I've got.  That and my sweet style."

:rainbow: Instagram :rainbow:

Offline PJSparkles

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Here comes PJ Sparkles!
    • View Profile
    • (A) Tumblr :)
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 09:44:50 PM »
I had a HUGE hoard of barbies as a child--we had bins of them overrunning the basement. We ended up getting rid of most of them, but kept our kelly dolls since we played with them most. Around the same time, we had the original bratz--yasmin is my favorite. I have at least six or more of her in her own suitcase with her face on it. :P We held onto most of ours, since we didnt have that many.

I wasn't really interested in dolls for a long time after that. I was always more of a "figurine" collector. Around a year ago, I was deep in the most expensive and obsessive days of my pony binge and I started "rescuing" monster high dolls at the thrift stores I hunted for ponies at. Aaaand about 70 dolls later.....

Now, I'm trying to cut back a bit, but it's difficult. Most recently, I picked up a 1992 troll barbie, one of the fashionista barbies, and my mom gave me a scientist barbie for christmas (since i have a degree in biology and she's slowly accepting i like spending money on toys a little too much). For my birthday, my sister bought me a pureneemo S doll body and an obitsu 21 mm head. I bought her a Shibajuku girls fashion pack yesterday. :P

I also picked up a pinkie cooper, of all things, today. New in box. At a walmart. In the clearance aisle. I swear, I have the weirdest luck with finding old dolls in walmarts.

I dunno, I just "adopt" any that look cute to me. I even found a vintage Sailor Chibi moon doll that I ended up taking home. My poor room is bursting at the seams with colorful plastic women.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:47:47 PM by PJSparkles »

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2017, 04:42:23 PM »
I'm in an impulsive doll buyer. I don't need to be and end up selling most of my buys. I'm really thinking an selling all the dolls I own and starting over. So I can be selective with what comes into my collection. But there are several dolls that I couldn't part with.

I really just need to start putting that money that I am thinking about spending into a dolly fund. So when I want a more expensive doll I can buy it.

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 06:49:05 PM »
I'm in an impulsive doll buyer. I don't need to be and end up selling most of my buys. I'm really thinking an selling all the dolls I own and starting over. So I can be selective with what comes into my collection. But there are several dolls that I couldn't part with.

I really just need to start putting that money that I am thinking about spending into a dolly fund. So when I want a more expensive doll I can buy it.

I have to tell myself over and over when I see a line I don't have that I think is cute "I don't need it.. I don't collect it" but in the back of my mind I'm thinking "Ooooo pretty! need! need! need!" it's bad. So bad. But right now I'm doing good at sticking to my main collections. I need to put some stuff away that is taking up room but I can't find myself to part with.  >_<

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 03:28:05 AM »
My see-pony diet (buying any pony I see) has spilled over into some dolls...beginning mostly with dolls that can sit on ponies.  I'm a sucker for dolls with handmade full skirt outfits too...I only buy cheap though and never for resale....that's disappointment waiting to happen.  I only buy something if I want it for myself or maybe as a gift and, um, try to never use credit for such things but...I did run up what little credit I had on ponies last year so...it can happen.

Offline Rainshower

• McDonald's Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 07:26:15 PM »
I mostly collect second hand 90's Barbie, clothing or accessories that I have find when I'm out thrifting for ponies. A lot of my dolls are from when I was kid. My collection is mostly a mix of Disney, sailor moon, monster high dolls and 1 ever after high doll. They all live in my doll house that my dad built for me as a kid so they are mostly grouped together unless there getting cleaned up or id. Some times I feel bad if I do a big toy shop all at once so I try to do once and a while. It also helps to have family and friends that like looking for doll or ponies I don't have when they are out and about because they love adding to my collection.

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 08:00:57 PM »
Most of my dolls I had maybe one in the line as a kid and now want to get what I had along with others. Some of the collections are more intense than others.

I'm not really sure where to draw the line on what's considered a doll with some of them but my most time consuming and expensive set is Magic Attic (Club) dolls. I have one evading me right now (surprisingly not the rare one of the bunch lol) and a double of another. But I'm definitely going to be somewhat of a completionist on these ones as far as getting all the clothes and accessories past starting in 1995. The test run stuff from 1994 before I got my first doesn't really appeal to me. There's also a few different versions of some of the dolls but I really only want the molds/set of 6 that I had started as a kid.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 09:53:42 AM »
I like beautiful art dolls, (like Marmite Sue's bjd art dolls) fashion dolls with gorgeous faces and outfits (like fashion royalty dolls or Kingdom Doll), vintage dolls that make me smile...(Rainbow Brite, Strawberry Shortcake) and everyhing in between.

My displays are mostly mixed

I fight constantly to keep my doll collection under control.

I have tried to thin my collection of vintage 1980s dolls to only the ones that are REALLY special to me (vintage Brazil and Peru dolls, and prototypes and a few favorites) But I still have a few entire collections of dolls that are packed up and will never see the light of day because I don't have enough space to display them (and they are not my current favorites) and yet their value is so low that it really isn't worth selling them (ie Star Fairies)

I am attracted to current play line dolls too- but that is a dangerous area. I love my Novi Stars- and a few Monster High dolls, but at some point I let 4 MH dolls become 100- and was overwhelmed.  I ended up giving most of them away because it just wasn't worth the hassle of selling them (photos/listing/packing) all to get pennies on the dollar.  I have been TRYING not to buy the new vintage looking Strawberry Shortcake dolls, but couldn't resist getting just a few...

Also caved and got the newish 11" Shera.. she is just TOO cool.  If they release more 11" MOTU dolls, I will definitely get those as well...

lovefromsirius

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 12:09:31 PM »
I consider myself an aesthetic collector, though most of the dolls I end up collecting do have joints. I used to be really into pullips in my teen years, but Taxel, I fell out of love with them since it felt like the only pullips that were coming out had the same faceup, the same outfits, or were like the millionith anime collab/Alice in Wonderland. (Admittedly I love AIW themed stuff but I got SO BORED). I'll keep the ones I have on a shelf but I don't really play with them, they're basically just for decoration at this point.

I also had monster high, but I reached a point where I was like, "okay, I have enough MH, it's not a lot but I feel secure in my collection and I don't really want more". so now Monster High is like pullip, I'm happy with what I have but I don't feel particularly compelled to go out and buy more. I also collect Little Apple Dolls, as in I have them, I love what I have, but I don't feel compelled to buy more.

Ponies I still somewhat actively collect, because I haven't quite gotten all my pony 'grails' yet.

I'm not at the point where I'm like, "I have enough bjd" yet. LOL. And they're the most expensive too.... I recently got a unoa Sist, I love her!!!! I think next I want to get Venitu or Saint.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2017, 12:56:40 PM »

I also collect Little Apple Dolls, as in I have them, I love what I have, but I don't feel compelled to buy more.

You too?!  I'd love to see yours!  The ones I have are MIB but the boxes are going yellow...  :(
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

lovefromsirius

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2017, 03:55:05 PM »

I also collect Little Apple Dolls, as in I have them, I love what I have, but I don't feel compelled to buy more.

Yes!!! Mine are out of the boxes because I just can't help myself, I don't plan on reselling them.

http://lovefromsirius.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=%2F&q=little+apple

here some pics of mine. :) Not my full collection just some artsy stuff.

You too?!  I'd love to see yours!  The ones I have are MIB but the boxes are going yellow...  :(

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2017, 04:09:17 PM »
I like OOAK art dolls and I prefer animals or animal-like creatures or even animal/human hybrids to human dolls! There are still some that catch my interest of course, especially cute chibi like ones, but I love animal art dolls.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Makaroni_the_pony

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2017, 04:20:10 PM »
I don't collect dolls as much as I collect ponies and action figures, but I do like to buy ugly dollar store dolls and see if I can make them look nice by repainting them

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal