Pony Talk > The Dollhouse

What kind of doll collector are you?

(1/12) > >>

Taxel:
Do you prefer overflowing shelves that fill your home or a modest collection of special favorites? Certain species, colors, materials, types, or time periods? Handmade OOAKs or mass produced? Specific hair colors or outfits? Are you loyal to certain companies/artists or do you prefer a bit of everything? Has your collecting style changed over time? Tell me all about it!

I've never been picky about sticking to certain brands, companies, or even styles. My first love as a doll collector was Pullips but I dove into Jun Planning Ai dolls, Dollcena, Blythe, Susie Sad Eyes, and Pullip pretty much all at once when I first got into dolls. For years I never so much as looked at a modern playline doll. Liv was pretty much the beginning of the end for me and for years I focused on modern playline dolls. The best part? I don't even like Pullips at all anymore! I think they're extremely overpriced and not at all worth it even though I once dreamed of completing a 20+ Pullip wishlist. As you could probably guess from that wishlist, I'm not big on teeny tiny collections :P

This year I decided to stop with modern playline for the most part because of the rampant quality issues and degradation. I find it hard to pay for dolls that are falling apart before they leave the factory when so many dolls from the 50s and earlier are still in amazing collecting condition today. There are a few brands I still actively collect, like Cutie Pops and the retro re-release Strawberry Shortcakes, and I may pick up a few randoms here and there but in general I'd rather buy vintage or high quality modern dolls now.

Until last year it was all about articulation for me. I wanted the best articulation, the most poseability, the prettiest joints, the most potential. Cutie Pops in '12-13 warmed me up to the idea of looks over articulation but I was still drooling over those prototypes with elbow joints. I planned for last year to be the year of Monster High but fell head first into American Girl instead. You can't really get much less jointed than that! I don't know what it is but I just find myself so enchanted with them. I can't get enough!

As far as specifics go, I don't really care all that much. I prefer to limit blondes to as few as possible but that's about it. I'd be happy to add any doll I love to my collection no matter who he or she is, even if they're blonde! However I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some obvious preferences. Redheads totally have my heart because they were almost completely nonexistent when I was a child. The variety of beautiful, natural redheads (and some of crazy "obviously dyed" shades) is just amazing! One day I'd love to have a shelf just for ginger dolls of all kinds.

scarletjul:
Like ponies, I collect dolls that have a nostalgic factor in my life.  :)

I was really into Barbie and Disney princess dolls when I was younger, so I have large collections of both of these.  Most of them are no longer on display, but I have a large box of 80s and 90s Barbies.  Plus, I have a bunch of the Disney store exclusive 12 inch dolls and some of the older Mattel Disney dolls.  I also have a couple of the Disney animator dolls, because I'm a big Frozen fan.  :)

When I was younger, I really wanted an AG doll, so now I have three.  Rebecca was my first and I sort of lavish attention on her.  I also have a secondhand JLM girl (April Grace) that I picked up from the thrift store.  And I just got Samantha, which is the doll I always wanted as a little girl.  I buy them clothes whenever I can afford it, and I always get super excited if I can find AG clothes secondhand.

I also collect Cabbage Patch Kids and vintage Strawberry Shortcake, which are both leftovers from childhood.  :)

Never got into Bratz, MH, Ever After High or anything else, so far.  I mainly stick with lines that existed during my childhood.

mlly:
I got into dolls back in 2011 with Winx Club and Monster High. I didn't get too much into buying Winx as I only own a handful of dolls. I was REALLY into MH for a while but that eventually stopped when the reboot happened. Not to mention their quality had already been waning for a while. The very last MH dolls I bought were 2 characters from Great Scarrier Reef. I still love the MH dolls that I own but I'm pretty much 100% done with Monster High now.
I also love Novi Stars and own 11 dolls. I am really very lucky that I managed to get the rare ones I wanted. It is really too bad they were discontinued.

I also own a few other dolls from various different lines.

Currently I am into 90s-2000s Barbies, Bratz, and occasionally Project Mc2.

While I have favorite lines to buy, I don't hold any 'loyalty' to any brand or company. I just buy what I like but I also stick to playline only.
High-end collectors' stuff is a not an option for me.

brightberry:
I tend to focus only on my favorites from all lines.  So I have a little of everything.   :P

Noxxbunny:
I'd say I mostly just collect whatever strikes my fancy at the time, but I'm mainly into anime styled dolls exclusively. Or ones that people would pass off as looking "too anime" for them even if they technically aren't lol. I also accidentally have a thing for dolls with blue eyes. Most of my dolls have them. Mainly because blue is my favorite color. I tend to put blue on everything...

I also only collect modern toys and dolls. Nostalgia has never really been a driving force for why I get anything. But I will agree that modern playline doll quality hasn't been the best lately, so I've been sticking to my vinyl BJDs in the past year. Since they're much more expensive, I prefer quality over quantity these days. I don't strive to have a wall of dolls or anything. I feel like I'd get overwhelmed with that many to maintain. Just a few is good with me. Or if I do get a lot, I want them to be over larger amounts of time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version