collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Mattel vs MGA: Who had the better doll lines?  (Read 1848 times)

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
Mattel vs MGA: Who had the better doll lines?
« on: December 29, 2016, 06:34:53 PM »
I was playing around with some of my dolls today and I noticed something. While I love both companies and have dolls from each, I'm really starting to see a quality difference. Especially in clothes. Barbie dresses in particular seem to be so cheaply made. I have one doll for example that when I ordered her, I assumed was wear separates. However, when I got her I found out that her skirt and top were sewn in one piece. Which was really annoying because now I can't do any mismatching with it. I also noticed that the details aren't as great as some of my MGA lines. For another example, Bratz dolls seem to have pretty good quality clothes. At least the earlier lines. And don't get me started on Barbie shoes. It's hard to find anything back in the 90's that wasn't a plastic basic pink slip on.

So which company do you think made the better doll line. I love Barbie. But when it comes to quality, I'm noticing that it's just not matching with MGA. Some of my Bratz have way better hair than my Barbie's. And my Project MC2 dolls have some of the cutest most detail little clothing items. Not to mention the adorable little wrinkles on their feet. Which brings me to the question as to why most MGA lines ultimately fail when Mattel seems to do so much better. Even Monster High is starting to get cheaper and cheaper. I don't collect EAH so I can't speak for them ufortnately. And the Mattel Disney dolls were very cheaply made. I like to image what it would have been like if MGA would have had that line.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline piinkypiie

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Mattel vs MGA: Who had the better doll lines?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 07:17:59 PM »
Mattel:
-in the 90s, early 2000s, i loved barbie (my childhood).
-MH and EAH in the beginning (their first few years were great with all the detail etc)

I agree with you that barbie quality has declined and so had MH and EAH(moulded clothes ew)

MGA:
- Project Mc2 (LOVED THE LINE FROM THE START!)
everything about them is awesome (except for the wobbly knees)
:happy:

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 08:00:05 PM »
Mattel:
-in the 90s, early 2000s, i loved barbie (my childhood).
-MH and EAH in the beginning (their first few years were great with all the detail etc)

I agree with you that barbie quality has declined and so had MH and EAH(moulded clothes ew)

MGA:
- Project Mc2 (LOVED THE LINE FROM THE START!)
everything about them is awesome (except for the wobbly knees)

I love the Project Mc2's but I agree about the knees. I actually bought my first core doll, the basic line, and she's my favorite out of my gang. I have the Camryn with the hat and the dinosaur sweater and I actually think she's made in a more durable plastic. She's so fun to take pictures with, even if she doesn't have joints like the other dolls.

I still buy Barbie dolls, and still am collecting Monster High though honestly, I find myself buying more Bratz and MC2's more than anything. I think the problem with Mattel is they can get away with low quality because Barbie has always been the queen of fashion dolls and parents are always gonna go to them first to buy a toy. I do love the Fashionistas though. Especially the new diverse ones. I just wish they would pick up their quality. Especially their hair  :cry:

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 01:13:55 AM »
Honestly, imo, Mattel's quality "lately" (probably for a lot longer than I've been paying attention) is total crap :x Even the fancy, expensive $50+ Collector Barbies are riddled with issues and errors. Its not a surprise. When people post about ordering or receiving these dolls the only surprise (sometimes) is exactly what errors they got. Its so depressing. I got a $75 Tokidoki Barbie and she had so many issues I had to return her to Mattel. The nicer collector-ish Barbies I got when I was little (like the Christmas ones and kid-friendly-price nicer dolls, like the princesses from all the different countries) were all amazing. I know playline toys in general are just worse and worse quality, but I really expected more from the super expensive dolls...

Monster High used to be my 2nd favorite brand and I actually planned to get pretty hardcore back into them in 2016 but the dolls I got for 2015 Christmas were so bad that plan came to a screeching halt. Mattel sent me vouchers and I got more MH dolls... a portion went back to the store. And things are just getting worse. I wish I'd returned all those dolls to the store and gotten stuff from another brand. They pretty much all have glue head, which means their hair is disgusting and eventually it'll fall out, ruin their faces, ruin their clothes, ruin whatever they're stored in, ruin any dolls they touch... I ripped all the heads off my MH girls last month and I'm getting rid of them :/

EAH has pretty much always been the "ugly stepsister" of MH and had significantly lower quality, despite usually being more expensive (at least where I live). They've just gotten worse and worse over time. The original giant moon heads weren't great but the new molds are downright terrifying. Not to mention they also have the same doll-destroying issue of glue seepage.

But on the flip side, 2016 ended up being The Year of American Girl so Mattel got my money anyways. I've been really impressed with the quality of the dolls, clothing, and shoes I've gotten. But of course the prices are insane! Over $100 for the regular dolls (or $60 for a smaller one... or way too much for a simple baby doll) and $30+ for outfits (less for pieces; I paid $12 for a pair of jeans), so I mean I'd sure expect the quality to be good for that price. But at the same time, they've started cheapening AG! The new Girl of the Year was just released and her stuff comes in cheap looking boxes with plastic windows, which isn't that big a deal on its own.  But the clothing is sewn to the boxes, leaving holes in very expensive doll clothes. People are rightfully furious! Its ridiculous. If they start packaging everything that way I'll have to be done with AG. I can't justify costs like that if the clothing is packed like $3 doll clothes from Walmart.

Bratz aren't my thing but I loved them as a kid. I remember the quality being good (and still have some bits and bobs hanging around), but then again at least the Barbie accessories and houses were WAY better then too. They're too exaggerated for my taste but I still like some of the recent clothing/accessories I've seen. Bratzillaz were more my style and I have one of the glow-in-the-dark girls that I love. I wish I had more of them!

Lalaloopsy is like my 2nd favorite brand (3rd before MH kicked the bucket). The fullsize dolls suffered from a big quality decline but I've been collecting the minis since 2011 and have always been loyal to them. Although they seem to have been discontinued I still prefer Lalaloopsy ponies over G4 (and even G3) MLP. I got my first Littles, Fullsize, and Girls within the last two years and was just as impressed with them as I've always been with Lalaloopsy. I've been worried because it seems like the line is dying out and losing popularity, but I have my fingers crossed for the "reboot". I don't like the hair-hair but the new dolls look awesome and I'm very excited. I'm sure they'll be great quality, and look great on my shelves!

I like Moxie Girlz and Teenz, and have a few of each, but they've never been all that appealing to me. The Teenz are SUPER cool but ugh, their size! Its so hard to store my one Teen. I wish I was able to have a few more. They're such pretty dolls! The True Hope Moxie Girlz and Bratz really helped cement my love for MGA. I don't think they did very well (I got mine on very steep discount), which sucks, but I love that the company was willing to give it a shot and produce bald playline dolls sold in stores.

Novi Stars are a sad love of mine! I wanted some so badly but ended up getting into Cutie Pops instead. Now both lines are dead and I need to hunt eBay for all the stuff I want from them. Novi Stars were so unique and daring. I wish they'd had better articulation and pricing. Maybe that would've helped.

Project MC2 is on my wishlist but I don't own any of them yet either. I love how focused the line is on STEM and the little experiments some of the dolls come with are awesome! That's such a perfect way to get kids interested in stuff like that. Plus the lack of pink! Barbie, and lots of other "girl toys", are so overloaded in pink its just plain offputting. MC2 dolls remind me a lot of my favorite line, Liv, that had very natural and normal-person looking dolls. Hopefully MC2 is more successful!

As far as the companies themselves go, I've had good customer service from both when products were defective/damaged out of box. MGA really impressed me with how they handled a Lalaloopsy issue I had in 2015. That's not totally relevant but hey, it was really good service xD

So yeah... I think its clear I vastly prefer MGA lines and talk too much, haha.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 10:56:25 AM »
MGA for sure. I never got into Bratz but they are nicely made. I loved the Moxie girls (the teens were really well made too, just a little too big). The Novi Stars are gorgeous.

Mattel has for years now taken more and more shortcuts- even on their "collector dolls"!  They've had more quality issues than can be listed.

One of the things that drives me crazy about them is when they show a picture of a collector doll you can "preorder" the doll that actually arrives is 9/10 times a complete mess.  Want a specific example? This lady has some good photos in her recent blog post of the most recent club Barbie: http://terrigoldphoto.blogspot.com/2017/01/collecting-2016-best-and-rest.html

SO glad now that I passed! (I had been tempted by the look of the dress)

And yeah, MH started out okay but at some point they just kept cutting and cutting costs until the outfits were all horrible and the heads were all glue-heads- and it feels like they made the hair cheaper too...

Offline mlly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 12:31:15 PM »
Even though Monster High is what got me into doll collecting in the first place and Mattel have made some truly amazing Barbies in the past, I'll still have to go with MGA.
I love Bratz and Novi Stars. While I won't be collecting Project MC2 as much as the latter 2 they are still definitely better than anything Mattel is currently putting out. Although I will admit that my experience with Moxie Girlz and Lalaloopsy were negative.
Even so I still feel they have better quality control overall than Mattel, their dolls have better playability, and that they have more interesting and ambitious ideas/designs IMO. Not to mention the quality and designs of Mattel's recent and current dolls have been absolutely atrocious.
I own dolls from both companies and the MGA ones feel sturdier and easier to redress than the Mattel ones. Their clothes also use a lot more different kinds of fabrics than Mattel dolls. Also, no glue head problems.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 12:53:01 PM by mlly »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 07:56:34 PM »
I don't think it's fair to compare dolls from the 2000s to things now. Dolls during that time were just better quality and My Scene was pretty much on par with Bratz quality wise during that time.

Currently MGA tends to release higher quality dolls but they also tend to not do well because they are priced accordingly. In the current doll market expensive dolls don't do as well which is why EAH wasn't as huge a hit as Mattel had hoped. Project MC2 costs $25 for a deluxe with an experiment and the only reason they are successful despite the high price point is because the educational component. The Deluxe Electrified dolls don't even hit $20 and come with hair accessories so of course they aren't as high quality. At least when it comes to play line you get what you pay for.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline mlly

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 12:19:53 AM »
I don't think it's fair to compare dolls from the 2000s to things now. Dolls during that time were just better quality and My Scene was pretty much on par with Bratz quality wise during that time.

Currently MGA tends to release higher quality dolls but they also tend to not do well because they are priced accordingly. In the current doll market expensive dolls don't do as well which is why EAH wasn't as huge a hit as Mattel had hoped. Project MC2 costs $25 for a deluxe with an experiment and the only reason they are successful despite the high price point is because the educational component. The Deluxe Electrified dolls don't even hit $20 and come with hair accessories so of course they aren't as high quality. At least when it comes to play line you get what you pay for.

I own several MyScenes and Barbies from the 2000s. They are better quality than everything current but I can honestly still say that even most of their clothes feel flimsier and not as sturdy when compared to the Bratz dolls back then. New Bratz are a flop but unlike Mattel's current stuff they didn't skimp out on things like pants/leggings, accessory and shoe paint, and used more than 2 kinds of fabrics. Project MC2 dolls in both their deluxe and basic lines definitely have better quality clothing and and also don't skimp out on details when compared to Mattel's current offerings.
I can't even remember the last time Mattel used real denim.

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 06:04:41 PM »

I own several MyScenes and Barbies from the 2000s. They are better quality than everything current but I can honestly still say that even most of their clothes feel flimsier and not as sturdy when compared to the Bratz dolls back then. New Bratz are a flop but unlike Mattel's current stuff they didn't skimp out on things like pants/leggings, accessory and shoe paint, and used more than 2 kinds of fabrics. Project MC2 dolls in both their deluxe and basic lines definitely have better quality clothing and and also don't skimp out on details when compared to Mattel's current offerings.

You know the more I think about it the more I realize that each one has their strengths. MGA is very good when it comes to clothing but in general Mattel has better quality bodies. The original Bratz had some of the best clothes in playline but I could never understand why people liked their bodies since they had even less range of movement than even a basic Barbie. Their T jointed hips meant the legs could go forward or back but never apart.

Tho one thing I've noticed is MGA is rather famous for having their prototypes to be much better quality than the releases. The only time recently that I've seen that happen with Mattel was Epic Winter to the point where someone called what Mattel did "pulling an MGA".

I still say that yes in general maybe MGA tends to have higher quality dolls but they are usually more expensive. The Project MC2 basic dolls are the same price as the articulated MH First Day of School dolls. While the Project MC2 dolls definitely have better outfits they aren't articulated and lack any extra accessories like a purse. I'd shudder to think what a Project MC2 doll that was priced in the $5-$10 range would look like. MGA doesn't even bother to go that cheap.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 06:35:22 PM by Wardah »

Av by Moonflower.

Offline mlly

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 10:46:49 AM »

You know the more I think about it the more I realize that each one has their strengths. MGA is very good when it comes to clothing but in general Mattel has better quality bodies. The original Bratz had some of the best clothes in playline but I could never understand why people liked their bodies since they had even less range of movement than even a basic Barbie. Their T jointed hips meant the legs could go forward or back but never apart.

Tho one thing I've noticed is MGA is rather famous for having their prototypes to be much better quality than the releases. The only time recently that I've seen that happen with Mattel was Epic Winter to the point where someone called what Mattel did "pulling an MGA".

I still say that yes in general maybe MGA tends to have higher quality dolls but they are usually more expensive. The Project MC2 basic dolls are the same price as the articulated MH First Day of School dolls. While the Project MC2 dolls definitely have better outfits they aren't articulated and lack any extra accessories like a purse. I'd shudder to think what a Project MC2 doll that was priced in the $5-$10 range would look like. MGA doesn't even bother to go that cheap.

I've noticed my Bratz from the 2000s have much better hair when compared to my MyScenes and Barbies from that era too, so there's that. Prototypes that are better than the final products happen with every toy company and most products. The exact same thing happens with Mattel, the only difference is they know how to actually hide their prototypes properly from the public, and I hate to say it but in recent years they've been very cost-effective and unambitious with the actual designs themselves too so there's also that factor on why the their final products seem to 'match' better with the leaked product images.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 10:51:04 AM by mlly »

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 11:37:48 AM »

I've noticed my Bratz from the 2000s have much better hair when compared to my MyScenes and Barbies from that era too, so there's that. Prototypes that are better than the final products happen with every toy company and most products. The exact same thing happens with Mattel, the only difference is they know how to actually hide their prototypes properly from the public, and I hate to say it but in recent years they've been very cost-effective and unambitious with the actual designs themselves too so there's also that factor on why the their final products seem to 'match' better with the leaked product images.

Hair has been all over the place for both of them. I love my Bratzilaz but some of the early ones had really not great hair. Around 2010 MGA was using some really questionable quality hair.

My favorite thing from MGA isn't even a doll line even tho I love my Novi Stars and Bratzillaz and my various Moxie hybrids. I really like Num Noms and think they are more fun than Shopkins. One thing about MGA is they tend to be more ambitious. Sometimes that ambition bites them in the button when nobody wants to pay the price for higher quality and great lines flop. Mattel can be ambitious but it's rarely done. Monster High as a concept was very gutsy and Ever After High was very high quality in the beginning and the diverse Barbie bodies are great and My Mini Mixie Qs are unique. It seems both companies have some creative people working there but Mattel is more likely to have a higher up shoot down an idea than be encouraged to go for it.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline mlly

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 12:09:24 PM »
2010 MGA hair was not good yeah. Never owned any Bratz from that year or any of the 1st wave Bratzillaz but I did have Moxie Girlz and not only was their hair bad, their clothing was flimsy and poor quality too.
Novi Stars don't have the best hair but I don't think their hair is particularly bad either.

I honestly think the new Barbies are a great idea that was very badly executed. Seeing them both irl and in photos their quality and clothing designs are terrible, and the nearly all of them have really bland boring face screenings especially when compared to older Barbies. Monster High's quality just kept waning over the years. EAH's quality was never even good to begin with IMO. Even with the 'detailed' accessories of their earlier dolls they have also always used really cheap poor-quality fabrics with questionable designs right from the very start and have always had really bad problems of glue head and wonky eyes. I'm personally not a fan of their faces either. I have to agree with Taxel that they were just MH's 'ugly stepsister'.
I don't know what happened exactly with Mattel financially but the quality of almost everything they've done recently has just been the worst IMO.

(sorry mods if I'm getting off-topic or inappropriate)

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 01:08:18 PM »
2010 MGA hair was not good yeah. Never owned any Bratz from that year or any of the 1st wave Bratzillaz but I did have Moxie Girlz and not only was their hair bad, their clothing was flimsy and poor quality too.
Novi Stars don't have the best hair but I don't think their hair is particularly bad either.

I honestly think the new Barbies are a great idea that was very badly executed. Seeing them both irl and in photos their quality and clothing designs are terrible, and the nearly all of them have really bland boring face screenings especially when compared to older Barbies. Monster High's quality just kept waning over the years. EAH's quality was never even good to begin with IMO. Even with the 'detailed' accessories of their earlier dolls they have also always used really cheap poor-quality fabrics with questionable designs right from the very start and have always had really bad problems of glue head and wonky eyes. I'm personally not a fan of their faces either. I have to agree with Taxel that they were just MH's 'ugly stepsister'.
I don't know what happened exactly with Mattel financially but the quality of almost everything they've done recently has just been the worst IMO.

(sorry mods if I'm getting off-topic or inappropriate)

Barbie fashions are very hit or miss. There are cute things here and there but then there are some pieces that are just awful.

Spring Unsprung is the only early EAH line I have as is and they have great clothes with good fabrics and really nice designs. I know wonk can be a problem but MGA isn't wonk free either and sometimes you even have to be careful about inset eyes not being set right. Glue head is very annoying but that's only some of the dolls that have it.

I mean personally I like lines from both and I'll admit MGA tends to have slightly better quality but they also tend to have slightly higher prices. Quality wise Project MC2 deluxe dolls and EAH Spring Unsprung are actually pretty much equal but neither EAH or MH are releasing anything at the level of quality they used to. Like they are still good but they are not as amazing as before.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 01:20:31 PM »
ALthough the quality of Mattel's MH dolls has definitely taken a serious dive- I will admit that I did preorder the "Born this Way" Lady Gaga doll- and she just came this week!  She looks super cute...  hopefully she doesn't have glue head!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 02:26:52 PM »
ALthough the quality of Mattel's MH dolls has definitely taken a serious dive- I will admit that I did preorder the "Born this Way" Lady Gaga doll- and she just came this week!  She looks super cute...  hopefully she doesn't have glue head!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on her! She's the last MH doll I really want but I'm having trouble justifying the cost with the line's constant issues.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal