collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hi everyone!  (Read 347 times)

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Depends Pony
  • Researching fakies, as always
    • View Profile
Hi everyone!
« on: December 27, 2016, 09:05:02 AM »
I just got the acceptance mail, so I'm finally on this forum!

Well, there's a few reasons I decided to sign up. I watched the G1 show as a kid, and have been watching the G4 show since! So I love the characters and story. I haven't thought to buy the merchandise, but it certainly looks cool!

But on most site forums I'm a lurker, so what really prompted me to join was Christmas. It was Christmas Day, and I was cleaning out my closet. Long story short, I ended up finding an old box full of my childhood toy horses and the fold-up wooden fence that would connect to this wonderful wooden stable stored down in my basement.

You can guess a wave of nostalgia crashed over, as I had believed I had given these away when I cleaned out the basement several years ago.

Many of the horses aren't mlp, but I found the two I remember playing with, a pink one and a purple one.

Turns out they actually aren't legitimate mlp, but look similar.

Even so I really missed them, so now I'm working on restoring them the best I can. The pink one has a really bad red stain on her forehead left from an unfortunate accident, and the purple one was quite dirty. They both have marks in various places too, but I've cleaned them up, disassembled them without issue, and got the stain to dull a little with toothpaste.

Anyhow, I guess I'm using the forum in my research to learn how to fix them. I don't plan on getting more, but cleaning them up was a really cathartic way to spend Christmas, so maybe the next time I'm at Goodwill I'll check out the toy section?

Now I'm just working on identifying what they actually are and where they came from! Sorry for such a long intro, but I just was so excited to find them again.

Makaroni_the_pony

Re: Hi everyone!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 12:08:30 PM »
You should post pictures of your horses and fakies! I would love to see them <3. I started out just restoring ponies too, because I like working with them more than dolls, and I can definitely say that even if you don't keep them for yourself there will always be people who will want them instead and take them off your hands uvu

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Depends Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 03:56:51 PM »
Hmm, well they are currently in pieces, I've taken off their heads and removed their tails for the time being. Here's a picture of when I first pulled them out of the box in poor condition. Pardon the pictures, I took the images to show a family member, without thinking I should display them first:

This is the pink one I have, after looking around online she was easy to identify as a 'crumpet pose' fakie (one that I definitely bought super young as a 'prize' from the dollar store):

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

She has a pink body with painted blue hooves, she's got eyeshadow and three hearts as a cutie mark on both sides. Her mane is pink, yellow, yellow-blue, and blue. They mixed yellow and blue strands in one section to make it look like green! Her tail is just yellow, yellow-blue and blue strands, no pink.

The bottom of her front left hoof is painted over, I think that's where the hasbro mark was--considering the mold is stolen from the official product. She even had a metal internal tail clamp!

One thing I noticed the next day was a very faint raised symbol on the plastic of the left flank only. It appears to be the symbol of a 'half sun', but is lower than the hearts 'cutie mark'. Not sure what that's about.

I would have named her Lemon Hearts, but that name already exists so I'm going to call her Limone Mellow instead! It's a word-play on Limoncello and Mellow Yellow. It's...also what I chose for my username, heh.

The second fake mlp has been troublesome to identify. She is purple with a pink mane and tail, her hooves are also painted, and her cutie mark is dull purple and blue-green horseshoes that span across her body, both sides.

She is definitely not an mlp mold and her interior tail clamp was just a small rubber band. She's got an open mouth but no hole leading to the interior, and the strange thing is her eyes were painted in the wrong direction of the eye mold.

This is something I never noticed as a child! Her face gave me a laugh, so I've dubbed her Miss n' Chance.

She's got a ton of hair, it was crazy trying to brush that frizzy tangled mess. She actually has a company copyright (unlike Limone Mellow), but it's abbreviated M.I.I.

I've looked around, but really don't know where she originates. There's a Meritus Industries Inc that makes dolls and some horses, but they are a different type of horse and I couldn't find a photo ID that matches this pony. She may be an official toy for some other line instead of an actual fakie.

They both look much nicer now, but the forehead stain is still there, just not as prominent. She's been stained for years so it may be futile, but I think I'll try oxiclean later. The horses (who are unfortunately also in questionable conditions) will need a group picture!

Makaroni_the_pony

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 04:12:15 PM »
Oh my gosh they're both such cuties, I actually really like the purple one, she's so dynamic and her face is so cute, I love those eyes! It'll be awesome to see them all fixed up, or as fixed up as you can get them uvu. I'm not really sure what that molded alternate cutie mark is about, I'd say it was from the stolen mold but Crumpet has a different mark, so it could also be that the fakie line produced an alternate version of that pony with that other cutie mark, and then just gave up on painting it in later down the line in favor of a stamp on one. Or they stole the mold from another fakie line that did have that mark, and just left it as it was, because knockoffs do sometimes steal their molds from other knockoff lines where they're "less protected". I'm not sure what kind of hair they have, but after you've done your attempt at an oxiclean bath, you might be able to soak their manes in fabric softener for a while to get some of the frizz out, this works with most hairs, though the cheaper ones will never go totally back to normal.

Miss'n'Chance reminds me a-lot of one of the G1s I washed up a while back with as dirty as she is, lol

And if I'm to recommend anything, it's Magic Erasers, though you probably already know that. It's actually so awesome that you got to find your old toys laying around, and I bet it must be super fun whipping them back into shape, I recently just restored some of my old stuffed animals and it's so awesome to see them back to some semblance of how I remember them.

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 04:22:18 PM »
Hi, and welcome to the Arena!!

If you need some more tips, the MLPPreservationPoject is the best place to find all of your restoration needs! Here's the link: http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Depends Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 07:11:25 PM »
Oh gosh Makaroni, your G1 looks so much better now! As for the weird cutie mark thing, it makes sense that it could be a fakie of a fakie so to speak, haha. Limone Mellow just has a secret second talent I guess!

I was able to get most of the dirt off of Miss n' Chance, she looks quite clean now except for the paint chip on her hooves!:

Maybe if I actually become artistic I can repaint them some day. At least her eye paint is still very nice. Her hair is now cleaned and detangled, but her ends have constant frizz. I may take your advice to get rid of it!

As for Limone Mellow herself, I ended up trying nail polish remover with 96% acetone instead of a full oxiclean bath and the stain is practically gone! It's amazing how quick it came off after nothing else seemed to work. There is still a very, very faint stain left behind on her forehead, but I'm just lucky she's pink and it's not too noticeable!

You've already seen the full-blown stain as it was intially.

Here is after I scrubbed at it with toothpaste and a tooth brush:

And here is after applying the acetone (which was washed off after), as well as post clean-up:

It's the best it's going to get and I couldn't be happier.

As you can see they don't have their tails put back yet. Limone Mellow came with a metal clamp, and foolishly I submerged both of them in water for a day before finding out. I'm terrified of potential body and tail rust, even though the clamp looks 'okay', so I will probably have to buy a new one.

Miss n' Chance presents another issue. She's got a ton of tail hair and a much smaller tail hole than the mlp mold, as well as a much smaller head hole to put her head back on, so I will be only doing that after I can learn how to put her tail through.

But overall they are clean and look wonderful now!

Luna, thank you for linking me to that site, I can tell it will be very helpful in the future!

Makaroni_the_pony

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 08:05:44 PM »
Oh my gosh that spot on her head looks so much better now, odds are it was nail polish on her head, if my memories as a young girl playing with my ponies and my makeup serves me well, lol.

As for that clamp it never hurts to replace them with plastic stoppers either way, uvu, just so you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Tbh these are really cute fakies, I love them to death, they're very nice ponies and I'm so glad you got to clean them up so nicely <3, they look amazing and their hair looks a millio ntimes better even with the frizz

Post Merge: December 28, 2016, 11:46:09 PM

I decided that my project for the evening would be these, lol

(Sig Sized)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 11:49:00 PM by Makaroni_the_pony »

Offline Spinky69er

• BBE Enthusiast Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+160)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 12:12:56 AM »
Welcome to the Arena :wave:

Each post of those ponies cleaned up so well!!!  I used to have quite a few sitting fakies in my herd back as a child and i loved them equally as much as my MLP. :)  Have fun on the forum.

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Depends Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 07:59:07 AM »
Oh, I know exactly where that stain came from. It's a very...unusual story. If I pack stuff away I usually put the most favored stuff at the top of the box. I was still a kid and decided I was too old for pony toys so in the box everything went before taking it down the basement, the two ponies at the very top.

Unfortunately I was in middle school by the time of that decision to 'do away with toys'. While mainly it was ponies packed away in this particular plastic box, there were a few odd stragglers also put in. A teen mutant ninja turtle, a transformer, a fake plastic food toy resembling grapes, and something much more recent: I had 'won' a gag gift of an oversized plastic red toothbrush.

Of course I put that in last over everything else, pressing against the horses. A couple years later our basement was very much in need of cleaning, so my mother, sister and I set out to pick out all of the old toys to decide what needed to be pitched, given away to charity, and kept stored. We live right by a lake so our basement had flooded several times prior.

I came across that box and opened it, only to pick up the toothbrush and find it sticky with melting pigment residue leaking out onto my fingers. Disgusted, I immediately threw it out and mourned the now contaminated box of ponies. I was irritated to say the least, thinking the damage was a done deal. At this time I had thought I decided to give them away because of the stains, but instead I must have took the entire box up to my room and shoved it in the back of the closet to protect them from further damage in the basement. Of course I completely forgot ever doing that as the years went by, and would've believed they were still down there with the matching stable if I somehow didn't give them away.

Anyhow my memory was against me and my closet had become very full of other boxes, so I never would have seen them again until I decided to clean everything out this past holiday. And that's the full story!

----

Oh gosh, they look entirely amazing in your art form! And so happy! Thank you for listening to their timelines and restoration, I'm glad someone else seems to appreciate them as much as I do despite not even being true mlp! You'll be happy to know they are now being displayed on the new home of my bookshelf. Thank you for the wonderful signature, Makaroni.

Thank you for the welcome Spinky!

Offline Tracks

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »
Welcome!  :frolic:

Makaroni_the_pony

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 05:53:46 PM »
That is an absolutely wild story, lol, and I'm so glad you found them, it's so awesome you held onto them even though you thought you hadn't. And you're right, that is a totally wild story, lol, at least it washed off okay uvu.

And I'm super happy to have you here, I love hearing about people's collections, and I know for a fact there are other people who'll love your fakies around as well, people collect them almost as much as real MLPs around here <3

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Depends Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 09:56:06 AM »
Thank you for the welcome, Tracks!

Makaroni, I hope to possibly get some legitimate mlp ponies to join them eventually (I miss the G1 show a lot), but I'm not opposed to happening upon a few more fakies if I see them! It's really fun to come up with personal characters for them.

Ugh I know I've been spamming this thread with pictures, but I promised a group photo of all my other horses (that I know of) from the box. Honestly I'm surprised that I didn't catch on to playing with more fantasy looking ones like mlp, I loved shows like that. Then again my twin sister was strictly into 'boy' toys, so I was also playing with tmnt, transformers, legos, army men, hot wheels, power rangers, and rescue heros.

Prepare for really bad phone pictures and lighting issues, but I really cannot bring them down to a larger room at the moment. I have no space to display them, and many are realistic horses instead of mlp, but I may at least clean them up before storing them again. I'm sure I got them over the years as a kid instead of all at once, so some of them are in worse condition than others.

My favorites were always the pearly unicorn and her baby, even at that age I could tell they were of nicer quality then my usual horses. Almost all of them are plastic, with only two fuzzy horses, and many are Barbie related I think.

These are the smallest ones I have, they're thumb sized.

Most of the small ones at the front (there are 5 of them) are Barbie I think (not the ones with the baby horses), as they look in the same style as my three biggest ones with the saddles in the back. Yes that's Bullseye from Toy Story lurking behind them, I treated him like he was just one of the other horses, haha. The pink one next to him is a fuzzy one, as well as the black one next to her.

I've only had time to clean the white one with the purple hair and matching gate, as I saw her on several fakie sites despite being from an official toy line. The white one with the bright pink molded-on saddle to the left of her has wings, but I've only found one of them so I'm assuming she lost the other or it was thrown away accidentally. The dark horse behind the white one with purple hair and matching gate is actually a donkey (or a mule?) I believe!

The weird looking one to the left of the three largest (grey, white and pink) horses is rubbery and could talk at one point. I think her batteries are removed and she's got a switch underneath.

Here's my favorite unicorn and her baby. They both have marks on them, but I will definitely try to clean these two up at least.

Okay I'm done with these massive posts! Hopefully now I can start making separate threads for questions and pictures. ^^;

Makaroni_the_pony

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 10:06:05 AM »
Oh man, you have a twin too? Lol, see when I was a kid I was always the one who liked the super heroes and stuff while my sister liked our dolls, but we never really had any toys overall until I started buying them myself when I was eighteen lol.

And omg, I know somebody who has the purple maned white one too lol

Also I can't wait for your other posts uvu <3, I'm sure you could trade some of your extra horses easily for other things in the future.

PS, the unicorn and baby figures are absolutely precious

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Depends Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 04:26:13 PM »
Oh cool, you're a twin! My sister and I are not identical, but we shared a lot of the same toys! She just never took to pink "girly ones", but I'm definitely grateful I got to play with such a broad variety of toys as a kid.

I'll have to do some research, but if I do end up owning an mlp collection in the future I'm sure it will be worth it.

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 01:54:27 PM »
Welcome to the Arena, Limone Mellow!

There are a lot of people who do collect fake ponies as they are quite abundant. I only have one personally, because I liked how it looked. Your pink pony with hearts is really cute. I know there's a website somewhere full of info on knock off ponies if you ever want to know more about them. Enjoy the forums!
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal