collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What do you eat on christmas?  (Read 3091 times)

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
What do you eat on christmas?
« on: December 23, 2016, 09:38:56 AM »
After watching a lot of baking and cooking shows with christmas themes I am curious to know what you all eat at christmas :).

Here in Sweden we eat rice porridge with cinnamon and sugar for either breakfast or lunch and breaded ham sandwiches.

Dinner is a buffet that begins with variations of pickled herring, egghalfs with caviar, smoked and /or raw spiced salmon and other types of fish.

Then we begin with the cold food: liver paté, smoked reindeer, smoked elk, cheese, a varieté of sausages and the centerpiece breaded ham.

Last but not least the warm food: meatballs, chipolata, jansons frestelse (jansons temptation) and ribs.

Every dish is served with sauses and gravies and boiled potatoes.

As a desert we eat Ris ala Malta which is left over rice porridge mixed with whipped cream, served cold with fresh fruits.

Of course every family has it's own take on it and it varies from different parts of the country.

Your turn. Tell me :)

EDIT: as my tablet had mixed up the order..

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What do you eat on christmas?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 09:58:50 AM »
Hiya Sweden neighbor :wave:
Christmas eve wouldn't be Christmas eve without rice porridge with cinnamon, sugar, and a bit of butter on top in the morning! And in the evening, we have pinnekjøtt with rutabaga and potatoes, and for dessert, rice pudding (AKA cold rice porridge) served with a single almond, and whoever gets it gets the marzipan pig. I really don't like rice pudding or marzipan, but tradition is tradition :P

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 10:02:36 AM »
It's just me and I can't cook so I treat myself to a DiGiorno stuffed crust pizza  :lol:

Princess Lala

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 10:29:21 AM »
We have a Japanese Christmas! That is because my friend from Philippines who lived in Japanese culture stays with us every year, and we want him to feel at home in the States! So what do we get!? A $20 KFC bucket with all the sides , a strawberry shortcake or chocolate lava cake, and wine!  :P Also we eat our stocking candy and roasted mixed nuts while we watch movies. We all get the itis and then open presents!

At my grandma in-laws (we celebrate a christmas twice!) we eat a brunch with sandwiches, cookies, chex mix, brownies, and all kinds of desserts. I feel like I need a dentist appointment after visiting because of all the desserts! This year I HAVE to be good and NO junk because I can no longer eat crazy desserts like that- healthy food only!  :biggrin: I requested a veggie tray!

Offline vampyrefay

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Is it halloween yet?
    • View Profile
    • Canadian My Little Pony Collectors
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 11:05:36 AM »
we have dozer nachos (the type that has cream cheese in the dip), various cookies, fudge, random appetizers and pumpernickel bread with spinach dip
My icon is my ponysona Persephone pomegranate

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 11:08:12 AM »
I guess you could say that we have an ''American Christmas". We eat Ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls, cranberry sauce, and we sometimes have turkey. It slightly varies every year, but that's all the main food.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »
It varies from year to year as my housemate and I cook all our own food (very different tastes) and rarely if ever have meals at the same time. He's doing a sort of traditional dinner (turkey, carrots, peas, sprouts, new potatoes and all that) and I'm going to do a Thai green curry with some fish, various veg and harissa couscous instead of rice (it's much quicker to prepare!)

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 01:35:21 PM »
After watching a lot of baking and cooking shows with christmas themes I am curious to know what you all eat at christmas :).

Here in Sweden we eat rice porridge with cinnamon and sugar for either breakfast or lunch and breaded ham sandwiches.

Dinner is a buffet that begins with variations of pickled herring, egghalfs with caviar, smoked and /or raw spiced salmon and other types of fish.

Then we begin with the cold food: liver paté, smoked reindeer, smoked elk, cheese, a varieté of sausages and the centerpiece breaded ham.

Your turn. Tell me :)

Last but not least the warm food: meatballs, chipolata, jansons frestelse (jansons temptation) and ribs.

Every dish is served with sauses and gravies and boiled potatoes.

As a desert we eat Ris ala Malta which is left over rice porridge mixed with whipped cream, served cold with fresh fruits.

Of course every family has it's own take on it and it varies from different parts of the country.

I'm coming to your house!!!  :lol:

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2016, 01:43:14 PM »
On Christmas Eve we have platters full of crackers, cream cheese, sausage, shrimp, pickles, cubed cheese and fried foods like mozzarella sticks, loaded potatoes and chicken strips.

For breakfast we have scrambled eggs, bacon, ham, hashbrowns, toast or rolls and juice or coffee.

For lunch / dinner (it gets served around 2 p.m.) we have turkey, dressing or mashed potatoes (certain people like one or the other), carrots, peas, turnip, cranberries and a platter with things like pickles and cheese.

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2016, 02:39:35 PM »
You are all making me hungry! I love roast spuds with veggies :drool:

We will be having roast spuds, sprouts (no walnuts this year as I couldn't find any), carrots, peas, mashed swede, roast parsnips, and maybe some Yorkshire puds if we get around to it. I will be having a Quorn roll with veggie sausage and bacon and I think my OH got some beef. Our son will have a mix of both. For dessert we have a choice of mince pies with cream or chocolate yule which my mother made and dropped off for us, it has been sat in my kitchen since yesterday and the amount of willpower I have had to had not to scoff the whole lot has been immense :D The rest of the day we just pick at whatever we want.

I NEED Xmas lunch to get here now.... :D

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2016, 04:25:33 PM »
This year we are not doing very classic for Christmas.  We will be having Green Bean Casserole, Whole Wheat bread/Italian Bread, Chicken and Rice Casserole, Pie and some sort of Potato Casserole with Tea.  It is kind of a weird mixture, but it was stuff that was made for our family due to the crisis we are all going through at this time.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2016, 04:39:38 PM »
Our christmas dinner is usually just the typical american thanksgiving dinner all over again.

This year we'll be having brisket instead of turkey and ham, mashed potatoes, lots of bread rolls, and I'm sure some casseroles and other side dishes and desserts.
I don't fully know what the dinner plan is yet  :lol:
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2016, 06:22:40 PM »
Last year my mom prepared a roast, green beans, rice, and steak fries. It was delicious.

We don't have a typical Christmas dinner, though.

|My Collection|

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2016, 07:52:03 PM »
Not much different than on normal days. I am very picky with food and can't stand most Christmas dishes. ^^; I do have some favorite foods that I always associate with Christmas, like the rice porridge with cinnamon and sugar and, a Karelian-born that I am, Karelian pasties. Also a lot of glögg!

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 08:01:05 PM »
Growing up it was usually like a pot roast or something to that effect with basic sides, veggies and potatoes and the like. Past few years have been REALLY tight for us around Christmas (we're usually broke by the end of the month because of bills), so it's whatever we can do. My husband's late father did pork shoulder the two years we were living with him before he passed, and that's my husband's option of choice if we could do it.

So it kinda works out this year we're going to some friends for Christmas and they're doing pork, lol.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal