collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Guardians of Harmony toys  (Read 20021 times)

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
Guardians of Harmony toys
« on: December 17, 2016, 01:45:53 AM »
First, this is about G4, but the toys not the show so if it belongs in FiM show forum, then mods please go ahead and move it over for me please, thanks!

The Guardians of Harmony set are in my opinion the best full-size G4 Hasbro toys to come out so far.  They are pretty show accurate in appearance, they are articulated (pose-able) and they have some mass to them.  They feel substantial to hold and I think they are actually intended to be played with.

I have had Celestia and Luna (edit:  I mean Nightmare Moon) for some time now and today I got a Shadowbolt, Queen Chrysalis vs Spike, and Twilight vs Thorax (unnamed changeling drone I mean).  I didn't want to take the Sisters out of their boxes but today someone asked me about them and didn't have any friends with them really to know how they are so I went ahead and unpacked the Shadowbolt and handled her a bit and I'll take some pics later and do the same for the others I have.

Shadowbolt:
The articulation could be better...no knees in the rear legs so the only way to make the rear shorter is put the leg(s) forward or rearward a lot....the front leg shoulders have very limited range of motion so the poses are limited, and the tail doesn't articulate though it does sort of bend and slowwwly bend back.  So while difficult to get her into a rearing pose in tripod with the tail, she will do it and she also flattens out for a flying pose and the head goes all the way forward and up to right angle to the back so there are some options there.  It seems clear the pose options are for play, not display, and the box that shows the rearing pose on the back says "poses may require hand support".  speaking of play the wings do go into a range of different positions and they pop out pretty easy...this is good in some ways but if you find her used, you are likely to find her with missing wings.  Her front legs have limited range in the shoulders but the elbows are very good including swiveling so you can make good hand gestures or a raised hoof pose.  She doesn't stand well without all 4 on the ground through, but you can make her stand precariously on three a few different ways.

I don't know why Hasbro included a little chicken with bat wings...called a Cockatrice, and the other accessories are a silly Shadowbolt badge that clips onto the leg and a Shadowbolt symbol that also clips onto the leg and best of all is a pair of shades that look real good on her and fit her head nice, even though they are hard to make stay on.  You probably won't be finding her used with too many accessories and missing wings will likely be common.

While the articulation is very limited in many ways it is also a universe of improvement over stiff brushables and other gimmicks and so while she's not perfect, I absolutely Love this Shadowbolt and I'm very glad I paid $10. US for her today.

Which GoH should I unpack next?  Maybe the Queen and Spike.

I also want Rainbow Dash with Tank!  but haven't seen them in retial so far....

Does anypony else have any of these, out of their boxes and have any input for the rest of us?  Feel free to post!  Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 07:32:04 AM by lostpony »

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
Re: Guardians of Harmony toys
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 06:33:49 AM »
I have Shining Armor, Spike and Chrysalis and both Celestia and Nightmare Moon.

Agreed on the articulation but I love how flexible and easy the armor and helmets are to put on and take off ^^
The paint on Shining Armor's horn isn't perfect either. The tip is nearly grey, but not completely unexpected tho...  :/

The only ones I have pictures of are Celestia and Nightmare Moon :) I was planning on making pictures of the others soon

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 06:49:24 AM »
I really love the new toy line. I love doing toy photography so poseable figures are so much better than brushables!

I agree the articulation has some limits which sucks but at the same time I'm overall happy with the look and weight of them. I noticed like in another thread I saw a few months back a few of the figures have this weird plastic residue coming out of the box. Hopefully that doesn't turn sticky in the long run.

So far I've picked up Shining Armor, Pinkie Pie, and the Shadowbolt. I should have picked up Rainbow Dash when I saw her cause when I went back all that was left was shadowbolt hence getting her before dash.

I think the accessories are kind of fun dunno what to think of the badges though. Only thing I don't like is that the accessories are hard plastic I can't even clip Shining's Spear anywhere on him very easy. So I've been propping it up with things.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

lostpony

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 07:39:18 AM »
Oh yes the little brochure inside the package makes me want Shining Armor too!

Which ones did you notice the residue on, JazzMatazz?  My Shadowbolt was residue-free which I noted with pleasure and that kind of thing bothers me...on the pearly brushables, people say it washes off OK though.

Moonbreeze (I love your celestia avatar image!) I did notice imperfection on my Shadowbolt's paint too where the body color shows through but I also don't mind.

Some of the finishing work (seams or injection points not smoothed entirely) is slightly better or worse on some individual pieces but by buying retail I was able to pick the best looking one and the worst one was only slightly imperfect in that way.

Offline Storybelle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 07:42:58 AM »
I'm not overly keen on the GoH line but I have to admit that Nightmare Moon and Celestia are gorgeous.  ^.^

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 08:18:38 AM »
I got a Shadowbolt and RD recently, and I LOVE them! They're much bigger than I expected, and much more detailed and high quality. Tank's little propeller even moves!

Rainbow has the same inaccurate mane pattern as her blindbag counterpart (seriously, it's a RAINBOW, how can you mess that up?) and its gonna be hard to get them into epic poses that will stand on their own for display (you're right, they're definitely made for play over display), but overall I think they are AMAZING and an awesome addition to G4.

I only saw the one Rainbow and Shadowbolt that I bought at Target, and haven't seen any Pinkies. The larger sets have been plentiful, though, and I've seen like 50 Shining Armors, he seems to be the least popular for some reason. Haven't seen the big Spike anywhere yet, and the non-poseable figures are still scant around here.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 08:49:30 AM »
I love the celestial and nightmare moon ones! The facial expressions are so...angry? On some of them, that it's off putting for me. I'm glad hasbro is doing an action line for the fans! They are so fun!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

lostpony

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 09:30:59 AM »
Mrbrightsky, they must have sent all our Shining Armors to Texas cuz I don't see any here in my little corner of California.  I forgot there was any big Spike until I saw him on the GoH line card included with the Shadowbolt...I bet he's real expensive!

I think this is Hasbro's first foray into "action figures" as opposed to "doll" ponies.  I bet they think they are including boys and I doubt they have any idea how much the girls love the fighting too...whether or not my assumptions about their assumptions are true though, it is great to see them going in this direction at last and I hope this line does well enough for them to make even better action figures and go further.  Maybe next time we get much better engineered moving parts and poses that do not require "hand support".

Mermaid the word I would use for the Sisters' expressions is "fierce".  It's clear the Sisters are supposed to fight each other, but why does poor Spike have to fight the Queen all by himself?  Why does Twlight get to focus on just the one drone?  Obviously we are supposed to buy reinforcements, haha.  So let's "army" up!

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 05:40:55 AM »
I noticed residue on shadowbolt and a tiny bit on shining armor but the more I handled him it seemed to go away so maybe residue from the molding process?
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 05:46:17 AM »
I currently only have the Celestia and NMM figures, don't plan on getting the Queen Chrysalis one because I'm not overly fond of the model. I actually haven't seen any other GoH but that could be due to not being able to go to some place like Target (it's on the other side of town opposite of the way I have to go home after work) and would actually have to make a special trip there
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 11:45:23 AM »
And why has no-one posted pics of theirs yet?  :P I have never seen these in the flesh so curious to see how they look in hand.

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 12:43:55 PM »
I've seen the Celestia and Nightmare Moon ones at work. They look so awesome^^ I /really/ want the one of Discord on his throne though. If I had infinite room, I'd also want the grown Spike one as well as Celestia and Nightmare Moon. Right now I don't have any of them because we've run out of space in our tiny house.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

lostpony

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 12:50:58 PM »
I noticed residue on shadowbolt and a tiny bit on shining armor but the more I handled him it seemed to go away so maybe residue from the molding process?

Eeew that means it's all over you now, haha.  My Shadowbolt didn't seem to have any...so far I've been lucky and haven't encountered the stuff but I didn't buy any pearlies.

And why has no-one posted pics of theirs yet?  :P I have never seen these in the flesh so curious to see how they look in hand.

I'll be doing that I promise!  I just need to wrap up an urgent loose end like finishing failing a class that's over tonight.  So check back later...

I've seen the Celestia and Nightmare Moon ones at work. They look so awesome^^ I /really/ want the one of Discord on his throne though. If I had infinite room, I'd also want the grown Spike one as well as Celestia and Nightmare Moon. Right now I don't have any of them because we've run out of space in our tiny house.

My space is long gone, I'm collecting into storage now but getting my GoHs so far made me stop cuz I ran out of money!

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 01:48:18 PM »

Well, if you insist.  :P

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

lostpony

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 02:05:12 PM »
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Now I want Pinkie too!  Looks like Rainbow shares the same mold as the Shadowbolt and maybe except for head and tail with Twilight and the Wonderbolts too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal