collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New Betta! (tank upgrade, page 4)  (Read 5581 times)

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
New Betta! (tank upgrade, page 4)
« on: December 12, 2016, 02:51:21 PM »
We were actually at the pet store for another reason, but I always look at the Bettas.  I have had them before and I enjoy them very much.  I found one I fell in love with!   With some stressful events going on lately I thought it would be so nice to just have him to watch and relax me.

So, here is my new little guy, Opalescent!  Opal for short since the girls said  that is easier to say, lol!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

As you can see he has an odd "bite" out of his back.  I have no idea what this is.  I did notice it in the store, but he was (and still is) very active and looks healthy otherwise.

They had him labeled as a Halfmoon, but if I look close I can see he is a Double Tail.  His spine splits a bit at the very end, you can see it in the right light.

Any fish people here have a clue about his back?   I am guessing it was an injury maybe?  There are scales over it, it's not an open wound.  He is active and eating too.  This is day 2 here with me, I am thinking he is fine.   I know I could have asked the pet store, but I was afraid they would not sell him to me if they thought he was "damaged" or sick.

Anyway, I just wanted to share pics of my newest addition to the family.  I have his tank beside my bed, I just love him!   ^.^

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: New Betta! (A question too.)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 05:53:42 PM »
He's a gorgeous fish, I have never owned a Beta myself, but they seem to be easy going pets.  :tackleglomp:

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline Firecracker

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 06:11:36 PM »
What a beautiful betta :heart:  They are simply the best fish out there, I know me and my SO enjoy our baby Sal (named because he's colored like a salmon).
As for the notch on his back, it is probably just an old wound or a birth defect.  If he seems like a happy healthy fish otherwise I probably wouldn't give it another thought :)

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 06:56:09 PM »
He's a very handsome fellow. :) I've never had a pet fish, but my dad has thought of getting them before.

Swap Wishlist

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 08:05:44 PM »
He's a very handsome fellow. :) I've never had a pet fish, but my dad has thought of getting them before.

You will sometimes be surprised how long they really live. I had a plain goldfish that was over 6 years old, I was probably in the 1st grade when I got it, but I was so relieved when it died, I was sick of that thing  :lookround:

I wouldn't have really cared, but I couldn't put any other fish in the tank (they would always die from a disease) so it was by itself.

Don't let this discourage you from enjoying your fish though  :P

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 10:35:54 PM »
You will sometimes be surprised how long they really live. I had a plain goldfish that was over 6 years old, I was probably in the 1st grade when I got it, but I was so relieved when it died, I was sick of that thing  :lookround:

I wouldn't have really cared, but I couldn't put any other fish in the tank (they would always die from a disease) so it was by itself.

Goldfish can live for 30 years in captivity but people very rarely care for them properly. They often have short, painful lives. If the other fish always die that's a sign something is wrong.

But anyways, congrats wystearya! Opalescent is beautiful. He has such a gorgeous color.

Princess Lala

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 06:22:58 AM »
Looks like an injury from early life or deformity. Either way that looks permanent. If he is a double tail, by the looks of it, they are known genetic deformities especially in their spine. As long as he is a ferocious eater and flashy I wouldnt worry about it!  :P

As far as the actual fins if they ever get damaged they will grow back! When I had my sorority (female bettas) they would occassionally nip each other fins but as long as the water is clean with s little bit of aquarium salt, the fin grows back!

I actually really miss my bettas omg. I hated water changes (i live in an apartment with stupid wall-to-wall carpet) and setting up the live plants cycling the tank just right which is why I stopped aquarium fish hobbying. My bettas lived for quite a long time, I put a lot of professional care into them, my oldest one lived around 5 years and most of the others at least 3-4 years which is a while for a betta (seeing as when you buy them from the pet store they are typically almost a year old already!).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 06:31:08 AM by Princess Lala »

Offline Seachanger

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 11:42:26 AM »
He is pretty! I have one too right now and have had one before. They are great fish to keep.
Thanks devonshireRed for the avi!

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 12:05:59 PM »
Oh he's beautiful! I have always been a betta nut. At one point I had like 4 different takes set up. Now I stick to one. My current one is a blue veil tail betta. His name is Chris Pratt 2.0. He shares a tall tank with 4 tetras who are called the pack. The original Chris Pratt was red and white with a hint of blue. I've had so many bettas in my life that I think I'll just continue calling them Chris Pratt now lol.

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 01:59:01 PM »
He's pretty! I agree that if it doesn't bother him and he acts fine and eats well he is likely ok. I miss my Bettas. I had them all through college. My first male died an unfortunate death and so did my first female come to think of it. The male got stuck between decorative plastic stones and the side of the tank and drowned while I was away at class. My female jumped out of the aquarium when I forgot to replace the lid and landed behind my desk also when I was at class ☹️️ 

I would love to have some again but I don't currently have the space or a good spot for my 2.5 gallon Betta tank.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 02:00:32 PM by nessa16 »

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

lostpony

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 03:21:17 PM »
OOoo a white one, gorgeous!

The shape is probably just an artifact of development or something that healed up. 

As long as you have filtration they go fine with any of the community fish too so look great with some neons or a goldfish if you do want to get more. 

Just don't get another one!  They call these Bettas but they are really "Siamese fighting fish" and have an interesting history of domestication.

Enjoy your little fishy fish!

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 06:57:11 PM »
Aww, it's nice to see all the lovely replies.  Cheers me up, thank you.   ^.^

He is still doing great, seems to be adjusting well to his new home.  Eating well (and pooping, lol) so that makes me happy.  And exploring every nook and cranny of his tank decorations.  He is quite the contortionist!  lol!

I do think the notch is probably an old injury.  He doesn't look deformed in any other way at all.  Literally looks like he was bitten.   :P

I just fell for him instantly!  We actually left the store and went back later to get him because I couldn't stop thinking about him.  I was so glad he was still there.  He really is iridescent and shines all colors in the light.  There is also a slight blue tone to his tail and fins.  He is a joy to watch, very peaceful. 

Thank you all for the replies.   ^.^

lostpony

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 10:14:35 PM »
Sounds like love :lovey:

I'm not making any assumptions but I want to be sure your new friend continues to soothe you so I'll say:  if you don't happen to be experienced in keeping fish I hope you haven't believed them when they say he doesn't need filtration etc.  He needs both biological and mechanical filtration.  If you need any input on that please feel free to ask me in pm.

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 05:55:17 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Though I have read up and my last Betta lived for about 4 years.  ;)

I am going to be getting a few more things soon, thankfully payday is nearly here!  I want some frozen bloodworms (an addition to his quality pellets) and I want to get some duckweed.  I know a lot of people don't like the mess of duckweed, but it sure helps a tank stay healthy!

Oh and I am going to get the 'Prime' water conditioner.  I have some conditioner, but it isn't Prime.  My closest pet store has healthy fish, but just not a full selection of products. 

Anyway, Opalescent is beside me as I type.  I've never done a bedside tank, I have to say I love it!  Watching him before bed is great.  ^.^

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: New Betta!
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 04:41:28 PM »

New tank!  He was in a one gallon to start, since I was hoping I had an old tank.  But if I do I sure can't find it.  :P

Anyway, I got this one for just $9.00!  This is a large "Critter Tote" but the lid was missing, the manager gave me a 50% discount!
I measured this out and it is just a touch under 3 gallons.   ^.^

My DIY lid.  LOL! 

The blue inner part is from his one gallon temporary tank.  I kept it for the light and feeder door.  The rest is cut from a storage bin lid.  And there is a lot of colorful duct tape.  lol   But it works!

PS - He now has a heater too.  Just put that in earlier this evening.  (I couldn't find *any* of my old fish stuff.  I may have tossed it when I moved.)

One more note to those who will wonder: 
I am not doing a filter at this time.  I had one before but it never worked for me.  It was just a big mess and didn't seem to help.  I have a siphon and I am more than happy to do regular water changes.  I also have some duckweed in the mail (should be here tomorrow actually) to help as well.  I love duckweed!  It worked wonders in the last tank I had!  (Obviously I know water changes will still need done.)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal