collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you prefer to buy craft supplies?  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Thimble

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
How do you prefer to buy craft supplies?
« on: December 12, 2016, 07:44:53 AM »
I'm trying to decide how to package stuff for a de-stash sale, so if you feel like it, your opinion would be super helpful.

1. Which is more interesting, a 'grab bag' with lots of different things in your favorite colors, or a collection of the same sort of thing in lots of colors?
2. What kinds of things would you find interesting?(Papercrafting, fabric, yarn, notions, etc.)
3. How much stuff in one pack seems like a good amount?
4. How much would you think is a reasonable price for something like that?

And just out of curiosity, do you buy what ever looks cool/ is on sale at the time, or just what you need for a project? Or both? :lol:
Do we all squirrel away ridiculous amounts of supplies because we 'might find a use for it', or is that just me?

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
Re: How do you prefer to buy craft supplies?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 06:19:22 PM »
Personally I think a collection of similar/related items would be cool. like just as an example, if youre only a painter, you would want to buy something that might have things like paints, brushes, pots, etc. but if it had some painting things, but then also like yarn and buttons, etc, you wouldn't have much use for all the other things?
Or if you have a TON of stuff, maybe do some of each, I know personally I am a big multicrafter, so Id probably find some use for just about anything lol.

Im not sure I can help you with price and quantity, unfortunately.

I AM a liiitttle bit of a supplies hoarder lol. But my rule is that it has to be able to fit in my crafts cabinet xD excluding some big things that I use very regularly. I have a weak spot for small shiny things xD like little charms, buttons, crystals etc... anything I think I can someday use on a custom.. I have a rubbermaid thing with 3 drawers that are just full of these sorts of things.. But I honestly love digging through it when I get a new commissions, Sometimes I get inspiration just from doing that. :p 
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 12:28:04 PM »
Both ideas sound fine, stuff sorted either by colour or by type. :)

I'm a terrible hoarder of craft supplies myself, lol.I don't buy online too often, though - it's harder to resist things when you can already see and touch them! But I'm sure I would also go for some neat grab bags. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 01:33:24 PM »
Hobby lobby, Walmart, the dollar store, saving things like small, glass fruit jars and washing them out.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 01:50:27 PM »
yeah supplies that go together would be more useful IMO, but do you know what he/she likes to do? That would probably be what directed you to what you should buy.

I tend to only buy what I need, I have WAAY to much craft stuff already  :lookround:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 09:45:04 AM »
I would go with packages of similar items, because I sew, but I don't need stuff for painting. To be fair, I don't need stuff for sewing either- because I also have stashes. I inherited my mom's stash, and then I started to inherit other people's stashes? I don't even know where this stuff is coming from anymore. It just shows up on my porch. It's nice, I never need to buy anything, but when I have a specific project in mind then I need to find the right material. I have boxes and boxes... sigh.

As far as size of package, if I were trying to do something with my stash, I would put it in a gallon size bag and mark it at a dollar. If I had something that was valuable enough to need to be marked more, I would probably mark it higher or just keep it.
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal