collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Customizing with Nail Polish...?  (Read 4732 times)

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I Love Ponies...Always!
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
Re: Customizing with Nail Polish...?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 02:17:47 PM »
Has anyone left a comment to both of the youtubers and let them know the hazards and effects of using nail polish on custom toys?

This is a good idea. What links or photos should be shown as proof of the issue with nail polish?
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales
Brightbow Avvy-SquarePeg :lovey: My pronouns-She/her and they/them  ^.^

Offline vira

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 02:58:36 PM »
i think MandaPanda has been told, since she made this video comparing nail polish vs acrylic paint.

imo, it wasn't a very good comparison. she should have used two identical ponies, instead of two different ones. she complains about the acrylic taking so many coats when the nail polish only needs one; of course it'll need multiple coats! youre covering blue plastic!  :P

i'm not sure she understands that customization takes patience. if you go the quick way, your custom will degrade quickly too!

like others have said, if it were just for her own enjoyment, i couldnt care less! but since she has almost 100k subscribers, its very disappointing that shes spreading bad information. :-(

its sad to think that some kids have definitely hurt their ponies with harmful customization techniques, when all they wanted was to be creative!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • I Love Ponies...Always!
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 08:25:50 PM »
Eek, I found something worse...http://www.wikihow.com/Customize-Your-My-Little-Pony-Using-Sharpie-Markers

Post Merge: December 12, 2016, 08:30:08 PM

Is it OK to use nail polish on Breyer resin, versus the vinyl in MLPs? I wonder if that makes a difference in the way the customs stay over time?

vira- Totally agree with you! MandaPanda should redo the challenge with two Rarities and see if that makes a difference. I bet it will! :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 08:30:08 PM by ChocolateStarfire »
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales
Brightbow Avvy-SquarePeg :lovey: My pronouns-She/her and they/them  ^.^

Offline MangleCrafter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • One word: Firefly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2016, 04:07:03 AM »
I did a bit of research, and some nail polish is actually also bad for humans, and even nail care products.
 "Nail care products contain, in varying amounts, many toxic and potentially hazardous ingredients. ... Researchers have identified toluene, formaldehyde and dibutyl phthalate – nicknamed the 'toxic trio' because of their serious health impacts – as three chemicals of high concern for salon workers."

It also contains different nail oils, which could increase the chance of the polish chipping off. We have seen ponies like the G1 ponies slowly degrading over time by themselves, imagine nail polish customs twenty years later.
Here is the list of full ingredients that are used in nail polish:
Nail polish consists of a film-forming polymer dissolved in a volatile organic solvent. Nitrocellulose that is dissolved in butyl acetate or ethyl acetate is common. This basic formulation is expanded to include the following:

Plasticizers to yield non-brittle films. Dibutylphthalate and camphor are typical plasticizers.
Dyes and pigments. Representative compounds include chromium oxide greens, chromium hydroxide, ferric ferrocyanide, stannic oxide, titanium dioxide, iron oxide, carmine, ultramarine, and manganese violet.
Opalescent pigments. The glittery/shimmer look in the color can be conferred by mica, bismuth oxychloride, natural pearls, and aluminum powder.
Adhesive polymers ensure that the nitrocellulose adheres to the nail's surface. One modifier used is tosylamide-formaldehyde resin.
Thickening agents are added to maintain the sparkling particles in suspension while in the bottle. A typical thickener is stearalkonium hectorite. Thickening agents exhibit thixotropy, their solutions are viscous when still but free flowing when agitated. This duality is convenient for easily applying the freshly shaken mixture to give a film that quickly rigidifies.
Ultraviolet stabilizers resist color changes when the dry film is exposed to sunlight. A typical stabilizer is benzophenone-1

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2016, 04:41:09 AM »
I did a bit of research, and some nail polish is actually also bad for humans, and even nail care products.
 "Nail care products contain, in varying amounts, many toxic and potentially hazardous ingredients. ... Researchers have identified toluene, formaldehyde and dibutyl phthalate – nicknamed the 'toxic trio' because of their serious health impacts – as three chemicals of high concern for salon workers."

It also contains different nail oils, which could increase the chance of the polish chipping off. We have seen ponies like the G1 ponies slowly degrading over time by themselves, imagine nail polish customs twenty years later.
Here is the list of full ingredients that are used in nail polish:
Nail polish consists of a film-forming polymer dissolved in a volatile organic solvent. Nitrocellulose that is dissolved in butyl acetate or ethyl acetate is common. This basic formulation is expanded to include the following:

Plasticizers to yield non-brittle films. Dibutylphthalate and camphor are typical plasticizers.
Dyes and pigments. Representative compounds include chromium oxide greens, chromium hydroxide, ferric ferrocyanide, stannic oxide, titanium dioxide, iron oxide, carmine, ultramarine, and manganese violet.
Opalescent pigments. The glittery/shimmer look in the color can be conferred by mica, bismuth oxychloride, natural pearls, and aluminum powder.
Adhesive polymers ensure that the nitrocellulose adheres to the nail's surface. One modifier used is tosylamide-formaldehyde resin.
Thickening agents are added to maintain the sparkling particles in suspension while in the bottle. A typical thickener is stearalkonium hectorite. Thickening agents exhibit thixotropy, their solutions are viscous when still but free flowing when agitated. This duality is convenient for easily applying the freshly shaken mixture to give a film that quickly rigidifies.
Ultraviolet stabilizers resist color changes when the dry film is exposed to sunlight. A typical stabilizer is benzophenone-1

good thing I don't use nail polish, but just think of what that does to the pony  :drunk:

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline MangleCrafter

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2016, 07:38:51 AM »
Eek, I found something worse...http://www.wikihow.com/Customize-Your-My-Little-Pony-Using-Sharpie-Markers

Post Merge: December 12, 2016, 08:30:08 PM

Is it OK to use nail polish on Breyer resin, versus the vinyl in MLPs? I wonder if that makes a difference in the way the customs stay over time?

vira- Totally agree with you! MandaPanda should redo the challenge with two Rarities and see if that makes a difference. I bet it will! :)
Customizing ponies with Sharpies is even worse! It looks to be alcohol based, and it bleeds on the vinyl in most cases. As for the nail polish-resin case, it doesn't have a really good reaction either.

Offline Raindrop

• Trade Count: (+299)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2016, 11:40:22 AM »
Note that in addition to flaking off and potentially damaging the plastic, nail polish also tends to yellow badly over time. 

Offline MangleCrafter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 12:13:38 PM »
Note that in addition to flaking off and potentially damaging the plastic, nail polish also tends to yellow badly over time.
That's true. Nail polish is not meant to last forever, it's like painting your pony with lipstick or eyeshadow.
Yellowing also occurs on cheap glue and varnish, but not that worse of a scale, it depends. But varnish is meant to seal paint, nail polish is a one time thing for nails. It's not meant for ponies.

Offline vampyrefay

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Is it halloween yet?
    • View Profile
    • Canadian My Little Pony Collectors
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2016, 11:15:48 AM »
I recently got into an argument over this on a youtube video, please don't use nail polish on your customs
My icon is my ponysona Persephone pomegranate

rolllerblades

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2017, 09:11:03 AM »
It's frustrating to see MandaPanda complain about how many coats she has to use with acrylic paint, but she wouldn't have that much of an issue if she spent the same budget on paints as she did on nail polish. Sure there's not as many colors as the 99¢ acrylic paints but you've got to learn to mix your own colors eventually!

Offline Darkhorse

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Customizing Crazzzyyynesssss
    • View Profile
    • www.darkhorsecustommylittleponies.com
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2017, 11:05:08 AM »
I've only used nail polish a couple times, and it was because I liked the iridescent color.  I painted it over acrylic and it turned out kind of cool :)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2017, 11:30:18 AM »
Painting with nail polish in small places OVER acrylic paint would seem to be reasonably okay - but again, not a long-lasting paint type, so I would worry about that...  But it's a beauty of a custom!  ooooh pwetty...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2017, 12:01:23 PM »
those are such nice customs, the nail polish really makes it stand out!!  ;)

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2017, 01:07:44 PM »
I've only used nail polish a couple times, and it was because I liked the iridescent color.  I painted it over acrylic and it turned out kind of cool :)

Those are *STUNNING*  :faint:  :thumb:

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2017, 03:42:40 PM »
Nail polish should never be used as permanent paint.

It's often loaded with toxic chemicals, and dyes that can soak into the vinyl, it gets tacky with age more often than not as it reacts with other chemicals in the toy or even itself.  There are no effects you can get with nail polish that can't be achieved with fine art materials, but of course that's far more expensive than a cheap bottle or two of nail polish.  It's sorely tempting with all those gorgeous colors, but I've seen too many horror stories over the years to ever, ever trust nail polish on a plastic surface. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal