collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Considering closing my Etsy vintage pony store  (Read 1345 times)

Offline CustomsRfun

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Wanted: MOC Surprise and MIB baby Surprise
    • View Profile
Considering closing my Etsy vintage pony store
« on: December 09, 2016, 04:13:35 AM »
Because frankly it is more trouble than it's worth.

I have people moaning about shipping costs constantly. Not MY fault if the post office prices are expensive!
To give you an idea, i received a letter from France the other day. On it was a label "1€".
If I would have to resend the exact same one back, it would be 3,75€ here!

The Post office here has a monopole, so they can apply wathever price they want.
If i want to have a PROOF of sending the parcel (and some kind of tracking), it is 5, 13 more i have to add!!! So of course, no one ever wants that...

So i get told "that's expensive"... that i try to "scam" people (even when i give *proof* that its IS what i paid at the post office...)

Also, i have people asking me to keep poneys for them and who don't give me news for MONTHS... then when i "dare" to remind them, they get all angry...
Even if it is a courtesy of my part, as, normally, only 1 WEEK of reservation is allowed by the term of my shop.

It all gives me troubles for what? Selling one or two ponies every odd month?

Meh....

Open for Customs Commissions :)

LOOKING FOR:
MOC Surprise and MIB baby Surprise

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
Re: Considering closing my Etsy vintage pony store
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 07:14:07 AM »
I hear you.  Shipping is definitely prohibitive.  I have the same problem for my etsy store and that's just domestic shipping cost complaints! 
I got lucky and had a vintage toy shop open in my town and I rented a booth there.  I'm the only vendor with "girl toys" so I've managed to offload a few things that no one wanted to pay shipping for.

Anyway, you have lots of nice ponies for sale.  Hope you can find a way to pass them on without losing money!

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 07:40:04 AM »
I completely understand your frustrations. I don't have the problem so much on etsy, but I definitely get people complaining about shipping costs on eBay. I once had a prospective buyer get mad at me for not reducing the shipping by $0.75... She got nasty about it (she got blocked very quickly and did not purchase the item). And in that situation the shipping was already cheap and the discount she wanted was so petty! I really don't think that people have any idea how much it costs to ship things, even small items like ponies. Even when they are shown proof of the cost, many still think sellers should eat the cost... There is really an attitude of wanting things shipped for free and delivered within a few days.

As a seller, you have to protect yourself. I think that the tracking is very important, it is your only defense for people claiming items were not received/delivered. For me, it is not an option to ship without tracking. I don't want to risk the loss. ButI understand some countries, such as yours, charge a lot to add this service (luckily in the US it is not expensive). Would it be possible for you to factor this cost into the item's listing price for ponies you don't want to send without tracking (such as more expensive ones) so that people do not fixate on the "shipping" costs?

I think your 1 week rule for holding items is more than fair. You don't have to hold something for months for someone who may or may not purchase the item. In my experience, holding items for more than a week or two has never turned out very well.

I hope all of your ponies are able to find good homes, whether they are sold through etsy or elsewhere :happy:

Offline CustomsRfun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 09:52:48 AM »
Would it be possible for you to factor this cost into the item's listing price for ponies you don't want to send without tracking (such as more expensive ones) so that people do not fixate on the "shipping" costs?

I tried and it made the ponies so expensive no-one ever bought them....
:/

LOOKING FOR:

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 12:48:44 PM »
That's frustrating. I'm sorry. If people don't like your shipping prices, then they don't need to purchase from you. I don't think I'd close up shop over this but I would definitely keep to a firm a limit on hold times  and just ignore the complainers. If you say one week, release the pony after one week. Excuses are not your problem. As you said, you've got the receipts and labels to show the postage price.

I'm going to scoot this over to TS for you, because sellers in there will likely have some good advice as well as hugs

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 03:30:45 PM »
:hug:

I sell on Etsy too, but I haven't had anyone complain about my shipping costs. In fact, I just increased my shipping prices as I was ending up undercharging.

I admit sometimes I have slightly over charged (if it's a silly amount I always refund), but for the most part I undercharge. It is tricky for me as I sell a mix of different items, so size and weight aren't consistent, so I come unstuck with the combined shipping. I've been working to correct this, but it's a constant work in progress.

I have it written in my policies that I use Royal Mail and have a link to the website, so people can go and look for themselves at what it costs. I also have noted the time it takes for packets to arrive in different countries :) I have also written about making claims for items lost in the post.

It might be helpful for you to state in the listings and in your policies the weights and shipping costs along with a link to the postal service you use. I'd also state how long you are willing to hold items for and if they don't pay or communicate the item will be relisted. This way everything is upfront.

You can't haggle with people over shipping, if they don't like the price they need to shop else where. Shipping costs what it costs, it is nonnegotiable and not something you can do anything about.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline ladybastilla

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Hi there! My name is Kat. Nice to meet you! :)
    • View Profile
    • Hey, Katallina!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 08:32:46 PM »
I agree with PKW, the price for shipping is totally not your fault. There are times I go on eBay or Etsy and see vast differences in shipping costs on similar items, but deciding how I feel about that is, in my opinion, up to me. It's not up to a seller to change that to suit me. If I want an item badly enough, I'll pay the s/h on it.

Swap Wishlist

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks go to Nence for my avatar and Jennifer2004 for my sig.

Offline CustomsRfun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 02:23:05 AM »
Yeah, i even end up paying the padded envelopes out of my pocket, as even adding 1€ for it was apparently «too much» for the buyers who only saw the price on the stamp...

Thank you everypony for reassuring me that i am not a monster...
:)

LOOKING FOR:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 08:29:16 AM »
It's an online business.  That's the cost of business.  Shipping prices aren't cheap.  If they don't have the money, they shouldn't be messaging you and harassing you to lower your prices.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline CustomsRfun

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 11:53:41 AM »
What makes them think any shipping is a tentative of scam  is all those chinese sellers with «free shipping» options...
They might have a deal with the post office, as they are companies who moves tons of stuff everyday, where i am a non-pro trying to scrape a few bucks to pay my rent...

LOOKING FOR:

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 03:07:41 PM »
I'm sorry that people are making selling such an unpleasant experience for you.

I agree with what others have said, people shouldn't be hassling you about your prices and shipping costs. Buying is a choice, and if they don't like the shipping cost on something then no one is twisting their arm to make the purchase. However, if someone agrees to buy something from you then they agree to the established cost.

As far as doing holds for people, I've never been seller but from the number of threads I've seen referencing people requesting holds and not following through, it sounds like it's a privilege that is frequently abused. Maybe limiting holds for 24-48 hours hours or requiring a non-refundable deposit would remedy this issue.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 06:02:22 PM »
Oh wow im so sorry your having such problems. I agree with the others if they dont like the prices they can butt out. You helped me go through my first transaction on there thanks so much! I hope your other sales are better for you. :/ I also agree on the 24-48 hour holds. I use that myself and Im just a trader. I wanted to be a seller myself but it always looks like it is alot of work. :/

Offline CustomsRfun

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 03:33:15 AM »
You helped me go through my first transaction on there thanks so much!

You're most welcome :)
Glad i was able to help you :)

Post Merge: December 11, 2016, 03:34:49 AM

You know what's funny? i had 0 sales for months.. and since i started to consider closing, i had 3 sales in 2 days....
LOL

« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 03:34:49 AM by CustomsRfun »

LOOKING FOR:

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 09:58:32 AM »
Sometimes it takes time for people to come around. Im sure you will get more customers this time of year. :)

Offline AllyCatAlisha

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 02:07:29 PM »
Thinking about closing mine also. I just had a crazy buyer that requested a refund and then left me terrible reviews. I have it on vacation mode for now.  To make maybe $25 every few months it seems not worth it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal