collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: possible to dye twinkle eyes?  (Read 656 times)

cannibalism

• Trade Count: (0)
possible to dye twinkle eyes?
« on: December 08, 2016, 09:33:50 PM »
hi guys. im currently making a custom out of a masquerade, and i want to make her eyes a different color. since they are green and i want to make them purple, this doesn't seem very likely. however i have a pair of party time eyes that im sure i can find a way to change. is it possible to dye twinkle eyes? or paint them in some way without loosing their translucent-ness?

i read somewhere that nail polish can be used to change twinkle eyes. is this true? should i shell out some money and buy a simple resin-casting kit and make some of my own? she's a christmas present so any quick fixes would be awesome! thanks for your input!

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
Re: possible to dye twinkle eyes?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 11:03:16 PM »
I personally would not use nail polish as over time it tends to make plastic tacky.

cannibalism

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 11:39:20 PM »
interesting. ive also heard it can yellow, and i don't want that. im wondering what type of opalescent paint would be best, if not nail polish? liquitex makes some pearly paints that might work. anybody know of a brand?

Offline Starshinescustoms

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Bunny Mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 01:28:58 AM »
A long shot, but what about some kind of glass paint? No idea if that would work or not, and I think it would be difficult to make purple from a green base but could be worth a try.
There are also people who make replacement TE eyes, I'm sure some of them are on here (I just don't know who  :blush:)
Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/StarshinesCustoms?ref=l2-shopheader-name
Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/starshinebunny
Note: I have changed my ebay username from 'Starshinescustoms' to 'Starshinebunny' but it's still me  :P
DA: http://starshinescustoms.deviantart.com/

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 08:53:48 AM »
I think the paint on TE's is called interference paint, and there really is no way to replicate that look exactly.  You can buy interference paints but your mileage may vary.  If you want her eyes to be purple, buy a bait Gingerbread and use her eyes.  Maybe Whizzer.

Do not ever use nail polish or nail sealant on ponies.  It is not made to be permanent and it will yellow and/or peel over time. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 08:58:42 AM by Skeen »

cannibalism

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 03:43:56 PM »
i was trying to avoid having to buy a whole new pony just for the poor girl's eyes, especially when i have a pair of PINK eyes from party time that im sure i can find a way to fix into purple. i have purchased a resin-casting kit with clear resin, and i'm going to try making my own. If i can find a way to make them look good, there's a possibility of making and selling TE eyes.

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 08:10:02 PM »
Is Hatsetsut still making and selling replacement eyes?  I've been told that people use pearly nail polish to replace the finish on twinkle eyes, but never to totally recolor them.  Pearly acrylic paint is probably better and easier to work with anyway.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal