collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Water inside a Lalaloopsy?  (Read 1421 times)

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
Water inside a Lalaloopsy?
« on: December 03, 2016, 09:01:21 PM »
So when I was pony hunting not long ago at thrift and antique shops, I got really lucky and also found loads of Lalaloopsy dolls in really great condition for $5 and less. One of them was this small mermaid doll who was in a bag of things for $1.41. My niece and nephews LOVE Lalaloopsy, so I got all of them that I found, but when I got them home, this mermaid sounds like she has water inside her. Seems she was used as a bath or pool toy, lol.

My instinct is to take her head off so I can drain her and let her properly dry, but I don't want to ruin her. Can the heads on these dolls be removed and put back on again easily, like we do with ponies? Has anyone else had this kind of issue before? Any suggestions for the best way to go about this is appreciated - I don't want to send a water-logged, mildewy mermaid to my sister's kids  :drunk:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
Re: Water inside a Lalaloopsy?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 04:01:48 AM »
I read somewhere that a mother or grandmother ended up drilling a hole in the back of a Lalaloopsy head to help it drain. There are tiny holes in my Lala's heads (Little size, which seems to be the size of the mermaid) but they're SO tiny. I don't know how much they really drain out before mold starts growing.

Here's a view of a Little size body taken apart. There's some extra info in the description and comments but it seems totally doable to pop off a head.

0anatomy of a lalaloopsy litttles04 by kgaerr, on Flickr

I have one that needs removing myself but I'm too chicken xD Good luck!

RainbowQuartz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 07:09:01 AM »
She's so cute. I hope she can be saved. I'm totally down with drilling a bigger hole in the head, but it still might be a scary/bad idea to send a possibly moldy watery merm in the mail. I can imagine it leaking somehow and being a disaster.

Offline ghouldilocks

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 04:39:33 PM »
Thanks, taxel! I'll look into that and see what else I can find.  ^.^

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 09:20:21 PM »
Oh, I almost forgot! What material is the head made out of? I know the fullsize Lala-Oopsies (same series as the mermaid you have) had heads made of like, stress ball foam feeling stuff. That was why I decided not to get one. If the Littles are made the same you'd have to worry about the head ripping.

Offline ghouldilocks

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 07:51:18 PM »
Oh, I almost forgot! What material is the head made out of? I know the fullsize Lala-Oopsies (same series as the mermaid you have) had heads made of like, stress ball foam feeling stuff. That was why I decided not to get one. If the Littles are made the same you'd have to worry about the head ripping.

Yeah, I know what you mean...I didn't know what an Oopsy was, but on the same trip, I found one of those, and I totally get what you mean about the head. I was super confused when I felt it, lol. The mermaid one in my picture in the OP is the regular hard plastic.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 02:24:24 AM »
Good news for the little mermaid, haha! I don't know if I could resist a secondhand Oopsie but man, their heads are just so bizarre. I don't get why they decided on that gimmick.

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 10:57:28 AM »
There are a lot of those at my thrift store haunt and I've been able to resist buying them...mostly but my resistance is beginning to fade...

I had water get into a fisher price jointed baby giraffe and I never did get it to come out.

Drilling a hole might be your only way, but when you figure out a solution you're happy with please share, thanks!

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 02:50:43 PM »
Okay I admit I did not read this thread, but I have washed my used Lalaloopsy dolls many times and their heads do fill up with water but along the edges of the face and hairline you can sometimes squeeze it out.  That is what I have done. I have never had to remove a head.  I usually can find an area that was not glued down well that bubbles of water come out when I squeeze the doll.  So I turn her so all the water goes to that area and just keep working on her until I can't head water anymore.  Also in that same area where the water is coming out you can put small amount of clorox in a syringe to clean the water and the inside of the head before you get the water out.  I have done this also.  Sometimes you get lucky and the hair can separate from the head just enough to insert a little straw to get a good air flow for a few days.  Superglue will close it back up.  You have to squeeze the hair part of the doll, as the head doesn't budge.

Oh I love Lalas....they are the best thing ever!! :) :lol:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 02:55:02 PM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 08:05:48 PM »
I'm now imagining you sitting in a bathroom cackling like some mad Lalaloopsy scientist while you pull up hair, squish faces, and stick straw into heads xD

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 06:37:30 AM »
I know its sinister right? ROFLOL  (insert evil laugh here)

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal