collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Which in your opinion is the best photo hosting site out there?

Photobucket
3 (21.4%)
Flickr
6 (42.9%)
Imgur
4 (28.6%)
Google+ Photos
0 (0%)
ImageShack
0 (0%)
Dropbox
1 (7.1%)
Tinypic
0 (0%)
PostImage
0 (0%)
Other (please tell us!)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: March 10, 2017, 12:38:41 PM

Author Topic: Best Photo Hosting Site?  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
Best Photo Hosting Site?
« on: November 30, 2016, 12:38:41 PM »
I'm not technical at all, plus being of an age where we didn't have the internet at school I struggle with finding out what is best.

So, what is the best all-round photo hosting site? I have Flickr and Photobucket - Flickr is great, and Photobucket has been having a midlife crisis recently.  I have only heard of other hosting sites (and I Googled some in the poll  :blush: )

I don't take that many photos any more, something I need to remedy soon. Being able to put pictures in multiple albums, being easy to upload, and having an editing tool all factor stringly in what I want from a host.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Best Photo Hosting Site?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 01:35:49 PM »
I have Photobucket and Flickr also. I loved Photobucket but this past weekend it was trying to download strange unknown files to my computer and I've been getting a lot of weird ads through Photobucket. I think I'm going to be using Flickr exclusively now.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

cannibalism

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 01:53:57 PM »
Deviantart.com has a storage function called sta.sh and it's really wonderful.  It's very neatly organized and you can have as many sub folders as you want,  you can name them, there's no ads,  and there's even a writing function! I've been using it for 3 years and I still have only used .3 gigs of the 2 allotted. If you pay for a premium deviantart.com membership,  I believe you get like,  10 or something.  It's really awesome and easy to use.

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 09:36:13 PM »
I used to only use Flickr and then it gave me some trouble, so I switched to photobucket.  ^.^

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 09:33:16 AM »
dropbox is good for sharing files with friends and family.  Not really something to host images like photobucket (which IMHO is going down the drain)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 04:19:30 PM »
I used to only use Flickr and then it gave me some trouble, so I switched to photobucket.  ^.^

I'm the opposite, lol. I used to use Photobucket, and switched to flickr and haven't had any issues since  :lol:

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 10:30:35 PM »
Prepare for way more of my opinion on image hosts than anyone probably cares about xD I use tons for various purposes and feel like sharing.

~ The Bad ~
Photobucket went down the drain years ago, imo. The ads have gotten worse and worse, and so has the actual service. I used to use it almost exclusively but ugh. Its so terrible. I dread every Photobucket link someone gives me, generally art I purchased. .filetype links do not actually work as direct links and redirect you to the bogged down site full of Flash and garbage (ads etc), which is really gross, so I have to reupload the art to even save it to my computer.
I'm soooo glad more people are finally starting to abandon it.

Tinypic is just 100% bad news. They re-use URLs and your innocent pony photos can be replaced with NSFW/NSFL nudity or gore... I found this out the hard way. I used to use it because of the short URLs but Imgur covers that without deleting your files or replacing them with things you'd never post/look at. It also pretends to change file types on uploaded images which can be a pain to deal with. I have to upload Tinypic-hosted art I get to Imgur before I can save it to my computer/Dropbox or else it throws errors trying to crop it in Photoshop or re-upload it certain places.

Stash is really terrible. I would never, ever recommend it to anyone. Its super buggy and constantly forces you out of folders you're in, or even logs you out. It drives me nuts. I use it only as much as I have to to use dA. There are muuuuch better options out there.

~ The Good ~
For general photo uploading I use Flickr set to private (a lot of people see Flickr as a free-for-all to steal photos from). It works great, even if Yahoo screwed it up quite a bit and ruined a lot of organization. Its easy to post photos onto forums, especially ones with size restrictions since you can choose the size photos will be when you get the html/bbcode.

I use Imgur for all of my art uploading needs (like adoptables I get on the Arena or commissions I buy) or if I need an album of photos to show people, temporarily or long term. Imgur has basic editing and its worked well all the times I've used it. You can upload an unlimited number of things (I have over 10k) and an unlimited number of albums. One annoying thing is they recently changed it so uploading multiple files to imgur.com auto creates an album. If you go to username.imgur.com/all/ (or click username > Images in the top right) you can upload normally.

I've been using Dropbox for years to backup all of the art I get as well as special photos. I've had a folder for my son since he was born and upload and photos I get to it. Being able to share the album with people connected to their emails has been nice for me. I don't have to worry about them losing the link or it getting in the hands of someone I don't want it to. Like melodys_angel said its not really for hosting files (although you can totally do that) but its good at what it does. Most people I know use it for hosting huge files that need to stay fullsize or delivering odd file type commissions (.psd, .sai, etc) along with general backing up.

Recently I set up Google Photos (NOT Google+) as a backup. Its easy to make folders but if you install the auto-uploader it will not separate anything automatically. According to a Google employee friend that's on purpose - you're not "meant" to use the folders and should use the auto tagging. I thought that was dumb and have many folders for organization purposes anyways, haha. Uploading everything by hand was annoying when I was getting all the photos I've ever taken up but once I finished that it stopped being a concern.

Google Photos will auto sort everything by day/month/year (not connected to any albums) as well as auto sort by people, places, and things (in their own types of albums - one for every single person, place, or thing). You can search for any of this in the search bar. So for example any photo you've ever taken of a cat and uploaded will come up if you search "cat" and photos taken in 2012 come up if you search "2012". The tagging isn't perfect but its really good! You can make collages but when I tried there wasn't any variety with layouts and it was automatic so it didn't work for what I wanted (sale pictures). I don't know if there's any other editing abilities.

Lastly, I used Shutterfly to make a website for my collections. Its clunkier than other free website hosts (like Weebly, my preferred) but its worked well for this for all the years I've used it. Its not really a host either but if that kind of thing interests you its worth a shot. I assume there's some kind of photo editing built in since its primarily a place to order photos printed on stuff but I've never used it if there is.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 03:27:32 AM by Taxel »

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 01:29:54 AM »
I like to use Tumblr for things like toy photos. Mostly because I can upload up to 10 at once as a photo post and use a single link to share the whole set. I used to use Flickr but it got tedious linking several individual images especially since frequently I'm on my phone. For some reason the app doesn't have the ability to share galleries and the mobile site is awful.

For little things like sig images I can just use imgur.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 07:44:31 PM »
I use Imgur for all of my art uploading needs (like adoptables I get on the Arena or commissions I buy) or if I need an album of photos to show people, temporarily or long term. Imgur has basic editing and its worked well all the times I've used it. You can upload an unlimited number of things (I have over 10k) and an unlimited number of albums. One annoying thing is they recently changed it so uploading multiple files to imgur.com auto creates an album. If you go to username.imgur.com/all/ (or click username > Images in the top right) you can upload normally.

I like Imgur a lot and use it mainly for what Taxel uses it for. It's really handy for quickly uploading sales pictures and when you edit them on Imgur they are edited in the sales thread, too, so I can place a star over sold items, etc. I used to use Photobucket for the Arena (since it's right there as the option), but it got hard to use -- I can't remember, but I think it was just hard to find photos and link them to my threads because of the way it was set up. Imgur is much better for that sort of thing. It might not be best for, say, pictures of family and stuff; it's more of a transient picture site, good for memes and things you don't want permanently, if that makes sense.

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 02:06:01 PM »
Awesome, thank you so much everyone! So helpful :)

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal