collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any Rat fellow rat lovers here?  (Read 3049 times)

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
Any Rat fellow rat lovers here?
« on: November 29, 2016, 01:48:33 AM »
I have two siamese boys right now. Pretzel who is a rex and his brother Popcorn who is standard fur :D

Feel free to share pics of your rats!

Pretzel trying to get my chips xD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Pretz on the the left and Pop on the right

Pretzel smooshing his brother.

And in their hammock

cannibalism

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Any Rat fellow rat lovers here?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 01:50:40 AM »
i used to have rats. truly amazing pets and i really really miss having them. i had an albino named sniffles, and later i had a dumbo named Baby and a solid black(?) one named Bella. hopefully i can get rats again soon.. they truly are very very loving and affectionate pets

Offline gemini_pony

• Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 01:54:31 AM »
They really are great. Just a heads up depending on your area you may have to find a breeder Petco stopped selling rats due to some kid getting rat bite fever (even though is rare and you can get sick from any animal bite).

cannibalism

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 01:57:37 AM »
oh really? : ( thats too bad. though petco doesn't take very good care of their rodents anyway, so its probably better i buy somewhere else. there are other pet stores in my area. My first rat was named sniffles because we got him from petco and he had an upper respiratory infection!

Offline gemini_pony

• Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 02:01:12 AM »
Oh yeah that's super common with rats I actually just keep meds on hand (you can get the antibiotics online for birds). I am happy I went through a good breeder though.

cannibalism

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 02:02:45 AM »
my dad is a pharmacist so he made meds for him. hopefully my next pair of rats wont be so sick!

Offline suzy.66

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 02:46:42 AM »
Your siamese rats are amazing! I wish to have some one day!

I love dumbos too they are my favorits!

I use to do breeding before so i had a lot of those beautiful furry friends :)

Thank you so much to FanRobinHood for my avatar and ZennaBug for my marvelous persona ref !

Offline CustomsRfun

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Wanted: MOC Surprise and MIB baby Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 03:19:00 AM »
I have three ratties females:

Imzadi is a rex russian blue dumbo
Boshuda a regular fur hooded russian blue dumbo
Halloween is a caped micro starred regular fur US blue dumbo

And i love rats enough to have one tattooed on my shoulder blade. Does that count? LOL
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:23:15 AM by CustomsRfun »
Open for Customs Commissions :)

LOOKING FOR:
MOC Surprise and MIB baby Surprise

Offline Olympus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 03:53:38 AM »
If it weren't for our cat and rat terrier mix, I'd totally get a couple of rats.

Their cute faces! Those little hands! I can't take it!  :lovey: Chubby/Fat rats are also a big weakness of mine.

Offline CustomsRfun

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 03:57:25 AM »
If it weren't for our cat and rat terrier mix, I'd totally get a couple of rats.

I have 4 cats as well.. funny how they make a difference between the family rats and the ones outside.
Ours run around, they don't bat an eyelash, and when there is a rat outside they go NUTS to catch it...:)

Ours are "family" :)

LOOKING FOR:

Offline Olympus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 04:21:17 AM »

I have 4 cats as well.. funny how they make a difference between the family rats and the ones outside.
Ours run around, they don't bat an eyelash, and when there is a rat outside they go NUTS to catch it...:)

Ours are "family" :)

It's mostly my mom who's worried about our cat getting to them. I think our dog would be more of a danger to any potential rats than the cat.

Our cat's an older cat who mostly just likes to eat, sleep, poop on the floor and pretends that he's still a big, tough feral cat by making goat noises at the birds that come by our deck... but runs away if he sees a squirrel.  :lol:

Our dog is a huge couch potato, but will shake his toys around by the neck and shake them hard. Like, 'if he accidentally hits you with one you have a 10% chance of getting a bruise from it' hard.

She's also worried about them getting out/squeezing under my door and getting into the living room/hallway where said cat and dog usually hang out. She's worked with rats before and I think said one time that they're pretty good escape artists too. Any of that true?

Offline CustomsRfun

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 04:44:39 AM »
Yeah rats are good escape artists, that's true. But the cages nowadays are quite secure.
The "squeezing under your door" part, depends on the age of the rats, but once they're adults, they'd be far too chubby for that (unless there is a HUGE gap there) :)

LOOKING FOR:

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 07:01:56 AM »
I think rats make very good pets; if only they lived longer! My friend had a black-and-white rat that was the apple of his eye. So intelligent and affectionate! Sadly, the rat got very ill as he grew older. It broke my friend's heart when he passed away. :(

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 07:09:39 AM »
I love rats! I used to have three (Pokey, Munchie and Velouria). They make amazing pets. Your babies are gorgeous!

Post Merge: November 29, 2016, 07:13:46 AM

I think rats make very good pets; if only they lived longer! My friend had a black-and-white rat that was the apple of his eye. So intelligent and affectionate! Sadly, the rat got very ill as he grew older. It broke my friend's heart when he passed away. :(

^ This. My last of the three lived to be 4 which I'm told was rare. It destroyed me when I had to put her down. She stopped filing her teeth down and had CHF. The other guests at the vet laughed in the waiting room when I brought her in. When I went in to say my final goodbyes, the employees went to those people and asked them to wait outside (the building) as I was putting my baby down and didn't need their negativity. I have taken every pet I've owned since to that vet.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 07:14:33 AM by josiekat »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 07:50:02 AM »
I like pet rats. Such snuggly little  beasties. :heart:

Post Merge: November 29, 2016, 07:53:56 AM

I love rats! I used to have three (Pokey, Munchie and Velouria). They make amazing pets. Your babies are gorgeous!

Post Merge: November 29, 2016, 07:13:46 AM

^ This. My last of the three lived to be 4 which I'm told was rare. It destroyed me when I had to put her down. She stopped filing her teeth down and had CHF. The other guests at the vet laughed in the waiting room when I brought her in. When I went in to say my final goodbyes, the employees went to those people and asked them to wait outside (the building) as I was putting my baby down and didn't need their negativity. I have taken every pet I've owned since to that vet.

What kind of sick person laughs at someone having to put their pet down? :angry: They wouldn't like it, if someone laughed at them if it was their dog or cat or bird.
where is peoples' sense of  sympathy and kindness these days? Good on the employees and I'm sorry.
:hug:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 07:53:56 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal