collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Barbie  (Read 3039 times)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
Re: Barbie
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 10:17:09 PM »
My little sister had Happy Family Midge when we were kids and I still remember how awesome that crib was!
Omg, I had that Walking set when I was little! That's how I got my Krissy. I remember her dress and crib so vividly. I used them in so many games. The Krissy I have now has a few outfits but still needs that dress. Definitely a good pick! I can't wait to see your photos of the set :D

I'm not huge on most newer Barbies. I mostly like to photograph my collections so the tiny errors even the super expensive collector Barbies have drive me nuts. For a while I had the pink haired Tokidoki Barbie, but she had so many issues I returned her straight to Mattel. I'd like to get another one day when she's on sale on Amazon again but she's not a big priority.

Soda Shop Barbie is probably my only recent grail. I'd get her hair rerooted to be red though. The vintage faces, like the Silkstones and stuff, are my favorites. I really can't resist falling in love with them. Classic Black Dress and Caramel Coat are just stunning! I also like the Andy Warhol Barbie, mostly for sentimental reasons so she's a very low priority.

I'm too chicken to do even the most basic customs xD My dolls get their "stock outfit" (which may be what they came in or something else) and mostly stay like that. A few get the privilege of changing their clothes but its rare, haha. Hair though... I don't even try. I can't do human, pony, or doll hair! Good luck with your Madonna! A lot of people change Barbie eye colors so maybe that could be an option. If I can find the tutorial I saw before I'll post it here.

Here's a couple photos of Ms. Tokidoki.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 11:11:40 AM »
I love all those details and bright colors!!!

Yeah I can't do anything with hair. I try to keep their hair as close to original as possible. I don't tend to change the clothes on most of my dolls though there are some outfits I really want. Which means I need to find some Barbies that I won't mind changing. I like Soda Shop Barbie myself. That pink poodle skirt is absolutely adorable. Right now my wish list is all over the place. Different sets, different years. If I could I'd own it all lol..

I don't really see myself buying a lot of the more expensive collector barbie's to be honest. I'm a deboxer and it would kill me to not be able to open them. I already have a few in boxes and it makes me want to cry because I can't bring myself to debox something that I can't go buy in the store today. So anything from earlier years that I order that comes NIB stays that way unfortunately. I try to find like new unboxed dolls but it seems rather hard these days. Most older barbies come in loved condition unfortunately.

ETA

Was looking at the pictures of her again. One thing that bugs the crap out of me with dolls is when they come with gelled in bowl cut hair. WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY!!!! Especially on a high end barbie?! I can't stare at that for years to come. I would have to debox and wash it out. That's like my major pet peeve. I have a fashionista coming that has hair like that and I can NOT wait to wash it out.

Post Merge: December 13, 2016, 11:16:47 AM

This is one of my NIB barbies. She's called Evening Extravaganza barbie. I so badly want to debox. But I just can't do it! To be honest, she's not that hard to come by and I might actually look for a good deal on a damaged boxed one just so I can have her in and out of the box. I noticed on ebay a lot of sellers put insane shipping on dolls. And then when I ask for them to debox they say that it won't save on shipping. Bull crap. Half the time the shipping is more than I paid for the doll. It's really annoying.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 11:16:47 AM by karrie91 »

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 12:59:25 AM »
She's a really lovely doll! I hope I can find one with better printing. I still have the box from my first (I thought it got thrown out but we found it later) so I'd be fine with an opened one if it meant no disappointment.

Even when I have to wash hair I keep it in the original style! I could never put it back. I always struggle when a doll has some cute accessory nailed to their head with those little plastic T things. Sometimes I remove them and its fine, but sometimes that wrecks the doll because of poor rooting and such x.x I've been on a total 50s kick this year so I just about died when I saw Soda Shop Barbie.

I feel similarly, but mostly because I just can't justify the high prices when there's so many things I collect. But I'm a total deboxer. I haven't bought any Barbies to debox yet (just childhood ones) and I probably won't do it very much. But the Happy Family Midges, oh yes they're gonna be freed. I'd rather just pay the $200+ or so for them MIB and have everything in good quality, no missing pieces, etc. I don't have the patience to track things down individually or through lots when its something I want the full set of (which is rather rare, thankfully). Though of course I'd try and find ones with damaged boxes for this.

Geled bowl cuts are the worst! I can't stand it. The first thing I did with Tokidoki was to strip her down and take her to the bathroom to get her hair washed. At least Barbies are generally safe for washing like that, so that's a plus. Some of Mattel's other brands (like MH and EAH) are a complete disaster when it comes to heads/hair...

Oh she's beautiful! I love her dress and pose. She looks so happy :) I hope you can find one with a bad condition box! She'd be fun to have out in the open.

Ugh, shipping on dolls is the worst. Sometimes USPS just screws you over, since most dolls are 11-12in and packages over 12in means extra charges, but so many MIB dolls obviously have totally insane shipping. Its ridiculous. I can't believe sellers told you deboxing wouldn't change the shipping cost! Of course it would.

This is the only non-baby Barbie in my collection right now. I was allowed to play with her but because I was so careful she's almost perfect. Her shawl is still tied to her dress with thread! I remember always moving her around on the stand too. Unfortunately because she was "special", declared by my mom, she spent most of my life on an open shelf. Her hair is practically gray from the dust and there's nothing to be done about it. It like fused with the hair gel or something I guess.

Offline karrie91

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 05:56:08 PM »
Yeah I'm really annoyed with the shipping prices right now on ebay. Just more people trying to make a dollar I guess. Oh well. I guess my biggest issue is when they was 12 dollars per doll for shipping on multiple auctions when I win say three of them and they don't want to combine.

Your barbie is gorgeous! I think I had her in my collection as a child. I had very few "collector" barbies though. We were rather poor and almost all of my toys came from the clearance aisle. Which unfortunately means a lot of them are insanely hard to find these days. I wish I had my old dolls but I'm sort of recollecting my child hood toys. I have a lot of free time so I spend  A LOT of it on ebay. Always checking the newly listings for good deals on stuff I'm looking for.

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 06:01:49 PM »
I love cars and some Barbie cars are super cool ,since i started collecting the horses, I have browsed some of them and the high tech ones appeal a lot .
I saw a lot for sale of 3 cars and got them on the spot.
I had been looking at the jaguar with nice working headlights for a while and the porsche with hardtop retractable , these 2 were on my wish list of Barbie cars, the lot has also a white Porsche 911, I do not think there is anything high tech on that one , but it looks good anyway :)
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline karrie91

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 06:18:58 PM »
I love cars and some Barbie cars are super cool ,since i started collecting the horses, I have browsed some of them and the high tech ones appeal a lot .
I saw a lot for sale of 3 cars and got them on the spot.
I had been looking at the jaguar with nice working headlights for a while and the porsche with hardtop retractable , these 2 were on my wish list of Barbie cars, the lot has also a white Porsche 911, I do not think there is anything high tech on that one , but it looks good anyway :)

Barbie had some REALLY nice cars. I remember having this limo when I was younger. I don't remember what it was called. I do know that it fit like 8 barbies in it AND had a hot tub in the back. I'm gonna to ebay and check it out. I also remember having an old vintage Barbie Corvet that was pink with blue seats. I had a radio controlled Barbie Jeep as well. Barbie Cars are awesome! I'm not sure I could start collecting those though as they are pretty big and I don't have the room. But if you're getting into them I totally would love to see pictures! You always take the best pictures.  :)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 07:09:28 PM »
I have the first set of Happy Family dolls (Midge and newborn, Allen and Ryan and Dr. Barbie.)  I need to post some pics of my dolls. Most of mine are 1980's-now but I don't have any Krissys. I do like the Mermaid Barbie and Baby Krissy set but it is really expensive on Ebay.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline karrie91

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 07:28:08 PM »
I have the first set of Happy Family dolls (Midge and newborn, Allen and Ryan and Dr. Barbie.)  I need to post some pics of my dolls. Most of mine are 1980's-now but I don't have any Krissys. I do like the Mermaid Barbie and Baby Krissy set but it is really expensive on Ebay.

Ponyfan

I can not wait for your pictures! I love the Happy Family line. They are so incredibly expensive. One of these days I hope I get lucky on ebay. I really want the doctor with the twins as well as pregnant midge. They are my grail in the barbie world right now.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2016, 10:22:30 PM »
Yeah I'm really annoyed with the shipping prices right now on ebay. Just more people trying to make a dollar I guess. Oh well. I guess my biggest issue is when they was 12 dollars per doll for shipping on multiple auctions when I win say three of them and they don't want to combine.

It could be they already have them boxed up and ready to go. Ebay tends to boost speedy sellers rankings and if a seller can just print out a label and put them on the doorstep that helps them. What annoys me is when they obviously bake shipping fees into the price of the item so even if they combine shipping it doesn't save much.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline karrie91

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2016, 11:16:57 PM »

It could be they already have them boxed up and ready to go. Ebay tends to boost speedy sellers rankings and if a seller can just print out a label and put them on the doorstep that helps them. What annoys me is when they obviously bake shipping fees into the price of the item so even if they combine shipping it doesn't save much.

It could be that. It's just really frustrating. Especially when I find something for say 15-20 dollars and I think, yeah I can pay that. Then there's a 10+ dollar shipping fee. I try to find free shipping as often as possible. What really really irks me is when they charge a huge shipping fee and then wait forever to ship it and it takes forever. Or they provide no tracking.

I honestly prefer bubble mailers over anything. They're easier to condense and get rid of. I hate having a ton of boxes right now. Right now I have a whole closet full of broken down boxes. I can't possibly ever need anymore. I hated trashing them but we don't have recycling in my neighborhood so I'd have to take them somewhere.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2016, 01:50:11 AM »

Your barbie is gorgeous! I think I had her in my collection as a child. I had very few "collector" barbies though. We were rather poor and almost all of my toys came from the clearance aisle. Which unfortunately means a lot of them are insanely hard to find these days. I wish I had my old dolls but I'm sort of recollecting my child hood toys. I have a lot of free time so I spend  A LOT of it on ebay. Always checking the newly listings for good deals on stuff I'm looking for.

I really don't like that eBay doesn't really encourage combining and some sellers don't want to work with buyers at all. Its so frustrating.

Thank you! Even with her gray hair I do adore her. I even have her little Christmas ornament. I just looked at it and it seems like she was from 1998. My little sister was born that year so that's probably why I got her and was allowed to open her. We got special Christmas Barbies here and there but were never allowed to open any of the others. I opened this one a few years ago because I was sick of drooling over her dress! I donated the doll to a homeless shelter but kept her dress for my Liv dolls.

I hope you're able to find more of your childhood dolls! I played with a lot of obscure older 90s/80s toys at my grandma's house so I can sympathize. One of them was rather easy to identify but the other took so much searching. I finally have a name but actually finding them for sale is going to be so hard.

I decided to look at the new Fashionistas just to see and omg, they made a redhead Petite!!!! I'm doomed!!!  I wish her eyes weren't brown since she's so similar to me but red hair & brown eyes is a very underrepresented demographic so I'm still super thrilled. I hope I can grab her!

Offline karrie91

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2016, 08:51:10 PM »
I love the petite dolls! I got some of my fashionistas today and I really need to take some pictures. Just haven't gotten around to it. I really wish they'd make a curvy petite. One of the blonde curvy dolls looks like it could be lol but I am really short. My biggest complaint with barbie right now is the hard plastic legs. Back in the day the legs used to be rubberish and now they can't be bent or posed what so ever. I really miss that. I do however love the new face molds instead of the same generic for every barbie/teresa/kira/etc. Makes all the Barbie's a little different.

I gotta say, I got my The Look City Shine doll today (silver dress) and I am in love with her. She's SO gorgeous. Really wouldn't hold up in play though but she is beautiful to look at. I deboxed her and put her on her stand. Though the stand was a pain in the rear cause I could not figure that thing out. She looks lovely standing next to the boxed Evening Extravaganza Barbie. I really hope they continue releasing ones like her. There's some other City Shine dolls but I really only like one other one and I don't see myself dying to have her. I need to find a good Barbie website that shows upcoming dolls/lines.

Post Merge: December 15, 2016, 08:58:19 PM

These were the only pictures I took before and after deboxing. I don't know why this one is sideways. I tried rotating it but my computer and tinypic really hate me.  :huh:

and after

I'm pretty please with most of them accept for the fashionista in the leopard print dress, the dress won't stay down! And her hair is loaded with product that needs washed out. Which I don't understand because she doesn't even have a hair style? Ugh. I'll probably get to her and the other petite that needs a wash. I was going to attempt to make the curly haired one's hair better as well but I really don't want to mess that up. I'd kick myself if I messed her up because she was the one I wanted the most. These were NOT fun to debox. I hate the way the packaging is done. Especially those stupid little tags in the back of the dolls head. She's held to the box by the feet, waist and arms.. why the head too?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 08:58:19 PM by karrie91 »

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2016, 04:54:04 AM »
I hope they make curvy Talls and Petites too! That would be so cute. I'm happy we at least have the beginning of articulation, now that there's an articulated collector Curvy. I really hope Made to Move expands to the other sizes. I'll overlook those ugly potato hands/feet if it means a well jointed Petite!

Haha, that's where we really differ! I cannot stand dolls with those rubber legs. They attract dust, glitter, bits of string, fuzz, etc like crazy and they're usually a different color from the rest of the doll. Eventually they can fail or have the wire pop out and that unnerves me... but at the same time all joints can break so I don't know why the rubber specific breakage issues bother me so much.

She's beautiful! That silver dress is just gorgeous. The curly haired Petite has really been tempting me too. You're so not helping :P I love her coloring and dress.

Modern toy packaging is the worst! I just don't get it. Some of the seemingly overkill stuff has a legitimate purpose but why does a doll need 2-7 of those awful T tags cementing their head to the box?! Spoiler: they actually don't! Ugh. Using nail clippers helps with those tags, but you still end up with messed up hair and/or some snipped strands half the time.

Offline karrie91

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2016, 09:40:27 PM »
I'm hoping to take the Barbie's with the horrible hair to the spa tonight. I just can't stand all that product. Not gonna do my City Look Silver though. Her hair actually looks good to me plus I don't want to handle her too much because I absolutely adore her. God I wish I had a better camera for properly photographing her.

I haven't found a tall Fashionista that I like yet. I kind of like the plaid one. I don't remember her number though. I went looking for Barbie clothes at Walmart today and they had a TON of clothes but not the one dress I wanted..  :huh: The fashionista's are hella popular this year for Christmas. They have a huge section in the toy aisle as well as TWO end caps and a section up in the Christmas area. I think mattel made the right choice with going for a more diverse barbie.

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2016, 10:11:46 PM »
I just got done getting a Star Stampin horse and the Show Parade Barbie converted into the variant with Black Hair of this release, that is very hard to find :)
these were blond , now they have dark hair :)

#vintagebarbieHorseCollection by bal8a, on Flickr

and after 24 hrs

#vintagebarbieHorseCollection by bal8a, on Flickr
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 10:27:58 PM by HoustonCollector72 »
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal