collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: US Post office question: Parcel or large envelope?  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
US Post office question: Parcel or large envelope?
« on: November 28, 2016, 03:20:39 PM »
At the kiosk at my USPS, I would select large envelope, since it was in a large envelope after all, and shipping was about $1.50-2 to ship a pony. The kiosk was broken this time and I had to talk to a person. They said that it was a parcel basically if it wasn't paper, and that the cheapest would be $2.60 to mail (it was a Bushwoolie, so even smaller than a pony). How much do you think the post office would care if I continue to select 'large envelope' at the kiosk? It's not much of a loss to me, but that would make shipping go up to $3 for every single pony I sell, within the US.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: US Post office question: Parcel or large envelope?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 04:42:46 PM »
I think what the issue is .... is that the envelope at some point is thicker than 1/4 an inch.  That means it goes box rate.  Did you check that box?  You should.  A pony makes a mailer more than 1/4 inch thick.  This may be the reason the costs are different. Even a little Bushwoolie is going to make that mailer more than 1/4 inch at some place in the envelope.  I know it doesn't seem fair, but these are USPS rules.  Mailers are great but the USPS feels that they should be thin items to go the cheaper rate.  I am almost positive that is what they would tell you.  I am sure the Post office is losing money all year long with people using the self service and the online system and not completing the description of their item correctly.  It is up to you and your own set of values about things like that.  I personally check every box they ask me about concerning size. I don't like breaking rules even if no one can catch me.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 04:47:44 PM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 05:36:01 PM »
I think what the issue is .... is that the envelope at some point is thicker than 1/4 an inch.  That means it goes box rate.  Did you check that box?  You should.  A pony makes a mailer more than 1/4 inch thick.  This may be the reason the costs are different. Even a little Bushwoolie is going to make that mailer more than 1/4 inch at some place in the envelope.  I know it doesn't seem fair, but these are USPS rules.  Mailers are great but the USPS feels that they should be thin items to go the cheaper rate.  I am almost positive that is what they would tell you.  I am sure the Post office is losing money all year long with people using the self service and the online system and not completing the description of their item correctly.  It is up to you and your own set of values about things like that.  I personally check every box they ask me about concerning size. I don't like breaking rules even if no one can catch me.

^Agree with tulagirl. I've always assumed that items in bubble mailers greater than 1/4 inch in thickness and irregularly shaped (like a bushwoolie would be) should be mailed as parcels and not envelopes. Additionally, if you mail it as "large envelope" from the kiosk and just drop it in the bin there is always the possibility that USPS will decide it was shipped with the improper method and add a fee onto the package to make up the difference in postage cost, which then becomes a burden on the buyer who has to pick it up from the PO and pay the fine. $2.60 is pretty cheap for shipping anyways (at least in my opinion).

Here are the official guidelines from USPS:
"Large envelopes must be rectangular to qualify for flat pricing.
Large envelopes that exceed size requirements of a letter will be charged package prices.
Size Requirements
           Maximum
Height    12"
Length    15"
Thickness    3/4" 
"
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 05:38:58 PM by flying_narwhal »

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 06:46:02 PM »

I agree with Tulagirl as well. It's considered a parcel even if it's shipped in a bubble envelope and if you continue the way you are doing it, it's going to end up at a PO Box and they are going to charge the recipient extra to pick it up. My parents have had this issue more than once!

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 06:51:00 PM »
If you ship an item that is more than 1/4 inch in thickness as letter rate rather than package rate, there is a good chance that your buyer will receive a package marked "postage due" and have to pay the balance for your shipping error. This has happened to me more this year than ever on eBay purchase from sellers who charge package rate ($2.60+) but ship the cheaper letter rate leaving me with a package that I have to pay the mail carrier to collect, so this is a rather sore subject for me.

Most buyers expect to pay at least $2.60 shipping for a pony or accessory, since that is what it costs to send that item. Typically charging $3.00-3.50 to cover the cost of an envelope is also an accepted standard. I don't think you will lose any sales by charging an appropriate shipping cost & shipping it the correct way so buyers don't receive items with postage due. :bigups:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 07:01:56 PM »
If you ship an item that is more than 1/4 inch in thickness as letter rate rather than package rate, there is a good chance that your buyer will receive a package marked "postage due" and have to pay the balance for your shipping error. This has happened to me more this year than ever on eBay purchase from sellers who charge package rate ($2.60+) but ship the cheaper letter rate leaving me with a package that I have to pay the mail carrier to collect, so this is a rather sore subject for me.

I agree with everyone else. :) I have a family member that worked for the post office and he said many times that envelopes had to be a certain size to be considered a letter. If the post office thinks that you've paid the wrong postage for the item they will mark it postage due and your buyer will have to pay the difference.

Another thing to watch out for is if you reuse boxes, don't wrap a Priority box in brown paper to ship something. If part of the paper comes off and the post office finds out it is a priority box, your buyer will be charged for Priority Shipping.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline MissGodiva

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • Message me on FB at Miss.GodivaPonyCustoms
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 08:41:24 PM »
I always use the kiosk and select large envelope. Ive had one package come back whining about extra postage. To be fair it had like five mini figs in it and not just the one ot two I usually send. The guy at the post office said that if its more than 1/4in thick its technically is a parsel. Which is dumb, bc when I submitted all my disability paperwork it was quite a bit thicker than 1/4in.
I feel your pain. I use the kiosk exclusively now.
:awake:
MissGodiva
m.me/Miss.GodivaPonyCustoms
[/font]

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 10:34:51 PM »
Pretty much everyone else already covered how I feel.

I do have one other thought though. Are letters put through a different sorting system? I'd be worried by lying and falsely marking something too large as a "letter size" it could be damaged or torn if it goes through any different sort of processing.

Slightly unrelated, but you should never just mail an item in a plain envelope. Shipping is really rough on packages so you should always make sure items are protected (bubble mailer, bubble wrap, padding, etc). Its very frustrating for buyers when things are packed poorly and end up damaged. If you improperly pack and something happens that damage would be on you.

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 11:30:51 PM »
Pretty much everyone else already covered how I feel.

I do have one other thought though. Are letters put through a different sorting system? I'd be worried by lying and falsely marking something too large as a "letter size" it could be damaged or torn if it goes through any different sort of processing.

This is my thought exactly. I don't know if the rules differ in the US but in Australia you can't put items like than in envelopes because they go through sorting machines. I've been on the receiving end of a purchase being sent in an envelope and arriving quite clearly torn open and empty from the item being forced out. Unless it follows their rules or being thin and bendable it's best so send in a parcel/bubble mailer. It doesn't always happen, but when it does it's really annoying because the post office doesn't care about your missing item if you broke their rules.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 02:07:56 PM »

Yes! Anything marked as letter rate does go through a sorting machine that is made for flat items only. It can smash a 3-dimensional items or cause the envelope to rip and force the item out. Parcel rate items even in envelopes will go through a different sorting process & are less likely to be damaged by machines.

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 02:23:11 PM »
At the kiosk at my USPS, I would select large envelope, since it was in a large envelope after all, and shipping was about $1.50-2 to ship a pony. The kiosk was broken this time and I had to talk to a person. They said that it was a parcel basically if it wasn't paper, and that the cheapest would be $2.60 to mail (it was a Bushwoolie, so even smaller than a pony). How much do you think the post office would care if I continue to select 'large envelope' at the kiosk? It's not much of a loss to me, but that would make shipping go up to $3 for every single pony I sell, within the US.

The USPS may not care, but I know your buyers will. I had this same issue and I had multiple people telling me their postal worker was asking for money when their bubble mailer was delivered because it was undercharged. They were not happy. Now I always choose package even if it is a bubble mailer.
I also always do shipping at $3 - 3.50 minimum because that's just what it costs :)

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 04:35:08 PM »
I got some ponies that were $2 shipping or under so I just thought that was how it was. Once my mom mailed something for me (probably at the kiosk) and I estimated $3 shipping, turned out it was closer to $2. She must have mailed it wrong as well. Mainly, I'm relieved that $3 shipping isn't uncommon. No that I have a lot to sell, I just want to move what I do have.

Thanks for all the suggestions. :)
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Eternia

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 07:57:20 PM »
Hahahah I was shipping ponies as "large envelope" if they were in a bubble mailer for literally years. I guess I thought bubble mailer is an envelope, no biggie. Then one time the kiosk was down and I learned that I had been doing it wrong lol  :blush:
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal