collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Silverbeam Pony BJD base! (3-11-17 front hoof fixed!)  (Read 4777 times)

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Silverbeam Pony BJD base! (3-11-17 front hoof fixed!)
« on: November 26, 2016, 09:51:44 AM »

3-11-2017  >> The front hoof can now hold it's pose!  Also rooted hair pics!  (See latest reply)

1-8-2017 >> Got a little progress made, see newest reply.

12-3-2016 >> I have a few updates in the newest reply.  Now with strung pics!

12-1-2016 >> She is here!!!  Pics will be in new reply!!

-----------------------------------------------------------

I just placed an order for a 3D printed BJD pony base from Silverbeam.  I tried to find a current topic about these, but the only thing I found was too old for replies.

Specifically, I ordered this base: https://www.shapeways.com/product/6FX89GZ2H/celestia-bjd-base-small-unicorn-type?optionId=57933156

I can't wait to see it in person!  Silverbeam has a couple videos featuring these pony bjd bases.  They look really cute! 

I'm just wondering if anyone else here has one?  I couldn't find much about them other than one video review on youtube and Silverbeam's own pics.

I have some ideas on how I plan to customize her, but I would love to see others if anyone has one to share!   ^.^

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
Re: Silverbeam Pony BJD base! (correct forum?)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 02:28:27 PM »
I have one of her older prototype regular earth pony bases. I'm not too pleased with its poseability. I think the design must have been improved since then, or mine is strung wrong, because some of the legs flick out rather than hold certain positions and the hooves are tricky to position. I never customised it, I found it fascinating to leave blank so once I got it to hold properly in a trotting pose I didn't want to touch it again. When it works though I love it lol. :P

I hope yours is amazing though, I'll look forward to seeing what you do with it.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 01:25:02 PM »
I'm sorry I can't help, just popped in to say I look forward to pics when you receive it! ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 03:16:51 PM »
Thanks!

Looks like it shipped today!  So I hope to be able to show it off soon.  Then find time to do my customizing.. :P  lol

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Silverbeam Pony BJD base! (She is here!!)
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 01:27:06 PM »
I have some pics to share today!!   :biggrin:

I literally opened the box maybe 30 minutes ago.  I am really excited to share, lol!

Ok this is not a joke.  She comes in this mesh thing.  I saw this pic on the shapeways site, guess I assumed this would be removed before shipping. But I find it funny, it's like my version of a 'Hatchimal'.  lol!  Mini Lalaloopsy is there for size comparison.  I got the smaller size Celestia Unicorn base.

Here is everything out of the mesh.  I used the pictured tool to *carefully* break into the mesh.  I will say this plastic is indeed strong!

Just a couple of closer shots.

This is the lower part of the back leg.  The thing in it is a needle.  I didn't know this joint area has more of a slit than a hole.   This is the same on the lower part of the front legs too.  I thought I would be sure to share!

This is to show some small metal hooks I plan to use in stringing.  These are parts I am not using from a Ball Jointed Doll.
I am hoping this will help with posing.

Some notes:

Since this comes in the mesh, the parts need a LOT of the powder cleaned out of them!  When I first looked at them I was worried they were made wrong.  Thankfully the powder is *very* easy to clean out.

There is a tiny little tail hole!  I have not pictured this yet, but I will before I do any modification. 

The doll does feel grainy, but it's not that bad.  I do have a set of fine grit sandpapers I plan to use to make her a bit smoother.

I am already very happy with my purchase!  The plastic is really strong.  I am actually happy to have the mesh "egg" to play around with a bit.  The parts look like they will fit together great!  I am going to try to string tonight, but with a busy family that might not happen.  lol!  But Soon!!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Silverbeam Pony BJD base! (She is here!!)
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 01:36:24 PM »
I have the old version-  it's kinda neat but very fragile feeling and the posing is not great.

I hope the new one is greatly improved- I like the idea of it a lot.

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Silverbeam Pony BJD base! (Update 12-3-16)
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 01:10:23 PM »
I was trying to string last night and have a few new pics and notes.

The front legs had some issues with posing.  As in the knee joint would not hold any kind of angle at all.  After looking at it I think this is because the ball part of the joint is too small.  I did make a modification and carved a groove into the upper leg part to allow for bending.  The groove is only in the back part of the leg.  This worked!  The front leg I carved can now hold an angle at the knee.  >> I also increased the length of the slit where the string comes through.

The back legs seem totally fine.  No issues posing the back legs at all.

In this pic I am trying to show the difference in the front an rear hooves.  The back hooves pose and 'point' nicely, however the front hooves do not.  The main difference I see is the height of the stick part that holds the string.  The rear hoof it is much lower than the front.  I think that this may be key.  The front is too high and so when the hoof is bent/pointed the string just pulls the hoof back in.  I am going to try to fix this with some sort of clay or maybe epoxy.  (I have the mesh left to test on for reaction to epoxy.)

This is just a pic of the tiny tail hole, as promised.  The light was terrible today, but you can at least see it here.  I do plan to make this larger before adding hair.

-------------------------------------------------

I am still happy with my doll, though I wish the front legs had not needed the modifications.  The back legs work great.  No issue at all, the hooves point and everything.  I am not sure why the front legs have all the issues.  But I know I can fix the knee joint (as I did on the one leg) and I think/hope to fix the hoof joint too. 

Like I said, on the front knee the ball part of the joint looks to be too small.  Maybe someone could build it back up, but I didn't trust myself to do that.  My fix of carving the upper leg to make room for bending did the trick, but still.  Just weird to have one set of legs work without issue and one set need modded on the same doll.  But at least I had the back legs to compare to and try to figure out fixes.

I will keep updating here with my modifications and results.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Merge: December 03, 2016, 06:02:48 PM

I have some pics of her all strung now.  :D

Please NOTE that I have NOT yet tried to fix the front hooves.  But I was eager to string her and see what she could do once I had fixed her front knees.

I am very pleased so far.   ^.^

On to the pics!!

One last note:  I put a tiny bit of white fabric into her front knee joints to help with posing.  I think you can see this in some of the pics, as I did a rush job.

Offline BethMcBeth

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.BethMcBeth.com
Re: Silverbeam Pony BJD base! (Update 12-3-16 ~ Strung pics!!)
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 01:12:48 PM »
Wow! Very interesting! Its also crazy to see just how long and hyper extended Princess Pony legs really are!! Have fun!

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 01:57:10 AM »
What a great thing! and you really made it work.  Its pose-ability could definitely be more robust but I've never seen anything like it and it has great potential.

With all that effort to get it together, do you have a vision for her?

She doesn't come with wings either...still so much for you to do.  Great work so far!

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 04:10:31 AM »
Wow! Very interesting! Its also crazy to see just how long and hyper extended Princess Pony legs really are!! Have fun!

Thanks!   Yeah, the legs are long, but I like them.  :)

Post Merge: December 06, 2016, 04:13:34 AM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What a great thing! and you really made it work.  Its pose-ability could definitely be more robust but I've never seen anything like it and it has great potential.

With all that effort to get it together, do you have a vision for her?

She doesn't come with wings either...still so much for you to do.  Great work so far!

Thank you! 

I could have ordered a version with wings (same price I believe) but I didn't want the wings.  I *do* have an idea for her! 

I hope to try to get the front hooves fixed this weekend.  I am going to try anyway!
If I get them working, I'll be moving on to making holes to add a mane and increasing the size of the tail hole. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for the replies!  I will continue to share my progress as it is made!  :)

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 06:52:24 PM »
It's kind of a shame that it needs so much work, as the design is very pretty. I look forward to seeing what you make of her!

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+202)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 04:53:42 AM »
Awesome job. I've been wanting to get one of these a while now. Can't wait to see what design you have in mind for her :)

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 09:07:25 AM »
Thank you!   ^.^

---------------------------

With the holidays and other things going on I have had to put her on hold for a bit.  (Not to mention my issues with getting the color hair I want.)

But I am hoping that in the coming weeks I can start making some progress on her again. 

I will be sure to update once I do!

lostpony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2016, 11:24:57 PM »
She's going to be a betta....no?

Offline wystearya

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 05:57:34 PM »
She's going to be a betta....no?

Ah, cool idea!  No, not what I am doing, though with the looks of my fish and my actual idea's color scheme I could see why you would think so!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal