collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thinking about selling on eBay...  (Read 4165 times)

Offline Shaliken

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Artist, Momma, and very happy Wife ;)
    • View Profile
Thinking about selling on eBay...
« on: November 24, 2016, 11:15:42 PM »
I'm seriously considering selling some non pony stuff on eBay, but I've never tried it before. I haven't even bought from eBay, yet. Please leave any tips, Do-this, or Don't-do-This, and anything else you think I should know. It looks like a hot mess, but I have stuff I need to move out in order to help pay some bills and get the last of my custom tools(Earth Pigments to be exact), and it looks like eBay is my best bet.  >_<

Thanks in advance for any help!  :biggrin:

~Shaliken

[moving to TS ~Kiwi]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 10:10:44 AM by Kiwi »
When Life gives you lemons, throw them back in the face of Life and demand the oranges you asked for! :shakefist:

Offline Khayman81

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about selling on eBay...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 06:23:48 AM »
I have tried to sell on eBay many times. And not only ponies and for the moment no success. So for me eBay is not worthy. Maybe in the Us it is different.
My wish list
My sales
Instagram: mlpsanti
Check my eBay profile for sales https://www.ebay.es/usr/santiagroz0

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 07:05:04 AM »
Research the price points your items are selling at and price accordingly. Ebay pushes sellers hard to offer free shipping but it's usually not going to be worth it to you as a seller. I offer different shipping methods and enter the cheapest option first because that's how it will show up in search if someone finds your item. Might as well offer a return policy because if a buyer opens a case eBay will usually require you to accept the return anyway. Familiarize yourself with their fee structure and work it into your price. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head but you'll get a listing fee, a percentage of the final sale price and the Paypal fee deducted. Also if selling at auction set the starting bid to the lowest price you'll accept (instead of at $1 or $0.99 as was recommended in the selling days of yore). Ebay also pushes you to accept best offers but be ready for a lot of lowball offers if you do this. When I have a best offer I set it to automatically accept and reject to a certain dollar limit usually around 20-25% of my asking price. That way I never get bothered with the people who offer $7.50 on an $80 item.

Good luck!

Offline Shaliken

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 11:15:03 AM »
*is taking notes* Thank you!  :biggrin:

~Shaliken
When Life gives you lemons, throw them back in the face of Life and demand the oranges you asked for! :shakefist:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 04:51:01 PM »
Don't forget, they will put a hold on your monies as a new seller...  You have to enter the tracking number into Ebay's system and then it will release to you.
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 11:27:49 AM »
Research the price points your items are selling at and price accordingly. Ebay pushes sellers hard to offer free shipping but it's usually not going to be worth it to you as a seller. I offer different shipping methods and enter the cheapest option first because that's how it will show up in search if someone finds your item. Might as well offer a return policy because if a buyer opens a case eBay will usually require you to accept the return anyway. Familiarize yourself with their fee structure and work it into your price. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head but you'll get a listing fee, a percentage of the final sale price and the Paypal fee deducted. Also if selling at auction set the starting bid to the lowest price you'll accept (instead of at $1 or $0.99 as was recommended in the selling days of yore). Ebay also pushes you to accept best offers but be ready for a lot of lowball offers if you do this. When I have a best offer I set it to automatically accept and reject to a certain dollar limit usually around 20-25% of my asking price. That way I never get bothered with the people who offer $7.50 on an $80 item.

Good luck!

^I second everything dragonfly has written here. Especially familiarizing yourself with fees. To the best of my knowledge fees are as follows:
+eBay takes 10% of the final value of the item. Per eBay: "The total amount of the sale is the final price of the item, shipping charges, and any other amounts you may charge the buyer. Sales tax is not included."
+Paypal also takes 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction.

It is also a good idea to double check your shipping options when you are working on a listing. Consider whether or not you want to offer international shipping, inputting accurate information into the shipping section to be sure that shipping is calculated properly, things like that. I have had eBay change these things around when I KNOW I put in the proper information so ALWAYS double check (because it can mean losing money on shipping!). Like dragonfly, I also tend to input the cheapest option first so that it doesn't put off potential buyers.

I would highly recommend a small postal scale and tape measure to keep at home if you have more than a handful of items to sell. It really makes things so much easier in my opinion and saves you from having to go to the PO for estimates/etc. For larger items, it is best (if possible) to find a proper box, supplies/padding and item and weigh it on your scale ahead of time so that you don't underestimate shipping costs. Shipping for larger packages going further from your home state will tend to balloon in price, especially when dimensions go over a certain threshold.

To cut down on the shipping costs, I save boxes and packing supplies from items I have purchased. My friends and family save boxes, bubble wrap, brown paper and air pockets for me too. You would be surprised how expensive shipping supplies are! This really helps the bottom line. I would suggest getting a nice big roll of bubblewrap if you think you need it because it is cheaper to get a big one than to get those little rolls from places like Target.

Always write detailed listings. This can save you a headache later on. I personally NEVER use words like "new/like new/great/mint" on eBay because people's opinions on condition are just SO subjective and there are a lot of picky eBayers as well as people who will look for any little excuse to get a discount or the item for free. Try to describe the item as objectively as possible and be honest with flaws. I have always been of the mind that I would rather my buyers be pleasantly surprised that items are better than expected condition than worse. Make note of whether or not the item is from a smoke and/or pet-free home as there are people with sensitivities to these things (nothing worse than opening up a package that reeks of smoke when it wasn't disclosed!!). Try to take lots of clear photos, preferably in natural light.

Chances are good that you will get annoying questions about your items, including questions about things that have already been listed in the description, requests for a lower price, etc... Always stay professional and answer politely. Set your policies ahead of time and list them clearly in your descriptions. How long do they have to pay (24 hours? 1 week?)? Will you offer combined shipping? Do you accept returns? Are you willing to negotiate on price? What is your shipping time frame? These are good things to think about and list at the bottom of your description so buyers know your policies. Try to answer buyer questions in a timely manner (within 24-48 hours).

ALWAYS ship with a tracking number (if possible).  I know sometimes this is not always possible for international packages (although they do have a customs number) but always get a tracking number for domestic packages. This is really one of the only safety nets left for sellers on eBay. Upload it to eBay for your buyer if you are not directly printing your labels from eBay (I personally print my labels from eBay at home because it saves me time). It saves questions when buyers can follow the tracking of their package on their own.

This is personal preference, but I also NEVER ship to an address requested by a buyer in a message after checkout that doesn't match what was entered when the item was purchased (sent it to my cousin's house at XXX as a gift; I'll be at my mom's for the holidays; and so on)... You lose all seller protection if you ship to an address different than the one the buyer used at checkout. Some people ask for legitimate reasons but it is also common scam. They will get a 100% refund at your expense and get to keep the item in the event that they open a case against you. When buyers request this I simply refund and request they check out again, putting in the correct information this time around.

Be aware that shipping from now through mid-January is slower than usual due to the high volume of packages that go through the postal service during the holiday season.

Phew! I think that's all for now... Hopefully you will find this information useful! If you have any questions I'm always happy to help :) Best of luck if you decide to venture into the world of eBay!!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 11:32:10 AM by flying_narwhal »

Offline Shaliken

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 04:51:17 PM »

Good luck!

^I second everything dragonfly has written here. Especially familiarizing yourself with fees. To the best of my knowledge fees are as follows:
+eBay takes 10% of the final value of the item. Per eBay: "The total amount of the sale is the final price of the item, shipping charges, and any other amounts you may charge the buyer. Sales tax is not included."
+Paypal also takes 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction.

It is also a good idea to double check your shipping options when you are working on a listing. Consider whether or not you want to offer international shipping, inputting accurate information into the shipping section to be sure that shipping is calculated properly, things like that. I have had eBay change these things around when I KNOW I put in the proper information so ALWAYS double check (because it can mean losing money on shipping!). Like dragonfly, I also tend to input the cheapest option first so that it doesn't put off potential buyers.

I would highly recommend a small postal scale and tape measure to keep at home if you have more than a handful of items to sell. It really makes things so much easier in my opinion and saves you from having to go to the PO for estimates/etc. For larger items, it is best (if possible) to find a proper box, supplies/padding and item and weigh it on your scale ahead of time so that you don't underestimate shipping costs. Shipping for larger packages going further from your home state will tend to balloon in price, especially when dimensions go over a certain threshold.

To cut down on the shipping costs, I save boxes and packing supplies from items I have purchased. My friends and family save boxes, bubble wrap, brown paper and air pockets for me too. You would be surprised how expensive shipping supplies are! This really helps the bottom line. I would suggest getting a nice big roll of bubblewrap if you think you need it because it is cheaper to get a big one than to get those little rolls from places like Target.

Always write detailed listings. This can save you a headache later on. I personally NEVER use words like "new/like new/great/mint" on eBay because people's opinions on condition are just SO subjective and there are a lot of picky eBayers as well as people who will look for any little excuse to get a discount or the item for free. Try to describe the item as objectively as possible and be honest with flaws. I have always been of the mind that I would rather my buyers be pleasantly surprised that items are better than expected condition than worse. Make note of whether or not the item is from a smoke and/or pet-free home as there are people with sensitivities to these things (nothing worse than opening up a package that reeks of smoke when it wasn't disclosed!!). Try to take lots of clear photos, preferably in natural light.

Chances are good that you will get annoying questions about your items, including questions about things that have already been listed in the description, requests for a lower price, etc... Always stay professional and answer politely. Set your policies ahead of time and list them clearly in your descriptions. How long do they have to pay (24 hours? 1 week?)? Will you offer combined shipping? Do you accept returns? Are you willing to negotiate on price? What is your shipping time frame? These are good things to think about and list at the bottom of your description so buyers know your policies. Try to answer buyer questions in a timely manner (within 24-48 hours).

ALWAYS ship with a tracking number (if possible).  I know sometimes this is not always possible for international packages (although they do have a customs number) but always get a tracking number for domestic packages. This is really one of the only safety nets left for sellers on eBay. Upload it to eBay for your buyer if you are not directly printing your labels from eBay (I personally print my labels from eBay at home because it saves me time). It saves questions when buyers can follow the tracking of their package on their own.

This is personal preference, but I also NEVER ship to an address requested by a buyer in a message after checkout that doesn't match what was entered when the item was purchased (sent it to my cousin's house at XXX as a gift; I'll be at my mom's for the holidays; and so on)... You lose all seller protection if you ship to an address different than the one the buyer used at checkout. Some people ask for legitimate reasons but it is also common scam. They will get a 100% refund at your expense and get to keep the item in the event that they open a case against you. When buyers request this I simply refund and request they check out again, putting in the correct information this time around.

Be aware that shipping from now through mid-January is slower than usual due to the high volume of packages that go through the postal service during the holiday season.

Phew! I think that's all for now... Hopefully you will find this information useful! If you have any questions I'm always happy to help :) Best of luck if you decide to venture into the world of eBay!!

*furiously writing notes* Thank you! This helps a lot! For now I think I'll definitely limit myself to US only. At least until I get the hang of eBay. I've been selling a lot on Facebook, and that helps, but this is a whole different mess, lol. I'm definitely going to start small, and work my way up to bigger stuff. I was hoping to sell a tiny gold pendant thru eBay, but it seems like I should wait until I have good feedback and some more experience. So it looks like vintage toys and fantasy art ACEO cards it is!  ;)

Don't forget, they will put a hold on your monies as a new seller...  You have to enter the tracking number into Ebay's system and then it will release to you.

Oooh! I forgot about that! Thanks for the reminder! *adds to notes*  :biggrin:

~Shaliken

Offline flying_narwhal

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 05:29:19 PM »

*furiously writing notes* Thank you! This helps a lot! For now I think I'll definitely limit myself to US only. At least until I get the hang of eBay. I've been selling a lot on Facebook, and that helps, but this is a whole different mess, lol. I'm definitely going to start small, and work my way up to bigger stuff. I was hoping to sell a tiny gold pendant thru eBay, but it seems like I should wait until I have good feedback and some more experience. So it looks like vintage toys and fantasy art ACEO cards it is!  ;)

You're welcome!  :biggrin: Starting small and sticking to domestic shipments while you are getting the hang of eBay is a wise decision. If you are selling vintage toys, you might also consider etsy. I find it to be slower in terms of how quickly things sell but their fees are much lower (around 3.5% of the item price I think? Plus $0.20 for the listing which lasts 4 months) and they don't take a cut of your shipping like eBay does. Plus, I've never dealt with any of the ridiculous crazies on etsy that I have dealt with on eBay... (though I'm sure there are some out there too hehe):P

Offline Shaliken

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 05:47:31 PM »

You're welcome!  :biggrin: Starting small and sticking to domestic shipments while you are getting the hang of eBay is a wise decision. If you are selling vintage toys, you might also consider etsy. I find it to be slower in terms of how quickly things sell but their fees are much lower (around 3.5% of the item price I think? Plus $0.20 for the listing which lasts 4 months) and they don't take a cut of your shipping like eBay does. Plus, I've never dealt with any of the ridiculous crazies on etsy that I have dealt with on eBay... (though I'm sure there are some out there too hehe):P

I was considering an Esty store, but hadn't looked into it yet. I might just try that too...once I do some research, that is, lol. Thank you! *add that to the list*  :biggrin:

~Shaliken

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 08:48:05 PM »
Dragonfly and flying_narwhal have pretty much covered it! Excellent advice.

I definitely agree with this! ^ It is so important to know the weight of what you're shipping, as it affects the cost so much. That was my big mistake starting out on Ebay and I lost all my profits during my first go because I underestimated shipping costs :blush: I don't yet own a postal scale, so I make trips to the post office and use the automated shipping machine-thingie to calculate weight and postage cost. :) Oh, a side note I just thought of that may have been mentioned before: the post office tends to be best for small items (like ponies and such), but if you have something heavy (a whole ton of ponies or a heavy playset), FedEx or UPS is usually the better way to go. You can calculate these prices online if you know the weight and dimensions of your item in its box and by using a faraway zip code (to simulate the highest shipping can cost). As I live in Florida, I use a California zip code for my estimates (90210, easy to remember).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:49:59 PM by Haruna »

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 11:24:20 PM »
I was considering an Esty store, but hadn't looked into it yet. I might just try that too...once I do some research, that is, lol. Thank you! *add that to the list*  :biggrin:

~Shaliken

Do note that an Etsy store is a business. Depending on where you live you'll need to get certain licenses or paperwork and you'll need to charge/pay certain taxes and such. :3

Offline Shaliken

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 07:44:42 AM »
Dragonfly and flying_narwhal have pretty much covered it! Excellent advice.

I definitely agree with this! ^ It is so important to know the weight of what you're shipping, as it affects the cost so much. That was my big mistake starting out on Ebay and I lost all my profits during my first go because I underestimated shipping costs :blush: I don't yet own a postal scale, so I make trips to the post office and use the automated shipping machine-thingie to calculate weight and postage cost. :) Oh, a side note I just thought of that may have been mentioned before: the post office tends to be best for small items (like ponies and such), but if you have something heavy (a whole ton of ponies or a heavy playset), FedEx or UPS is usually the better way to go. You can calculate these prices online if you know the weight and dimensions of your item in its box and by using a faraway zip code (to simulate the highest shipping can cost). As I live in Florida, I use a California zip code for my estimates (90210, easy to remember).

Got it! I definitely have a tape measure handy, and I've been using a kitchen scale to estimate shipping with my facebook sales. It works fine...as long as the weight isn't more than five pounds, lol. I'll remember about Fedex and UPS, thank you!

Haha, yes! I live in Ohio and I've done that before too. Very handy. ;)

~Shaliken

Do note that an Etsy store is a business. Depending on where you live you'll need to get certain licenses or paperwork and you'll need to charge/pay certain taxes and such. :3

Hm, noted. My sister has one, so I'm going to pick her brain for everything I need to do. Thank you! :D

~Shaliken

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 07:31:25 AM »
Oh, I forgot about the new seller hold. That sucks. Because a lot of times new sellers rely on the payment money to pay for shipping, and you can't access it until 3 days after the item is marked as delivered - longer if you didn't enter any tracking numbers, up to 30 days. Paypal is a stickler for this and it stinks. If you call and complain, Paypal will tell you "sorry, SOL, it's eBay's policy we can't control it" and eBay will tell you "sorry, SOL, it's Paypal's policy, we can't control it."

I like selling on Etsy. That said, as mentioned above, it takes more effort on the part of the seller to move inventory although your net selling price can generally be 30%-60% higher than for the same item on eBay. Their fee structure is much less confusing to me and I love that they automatically deposit my money into my bank account several times a week.

I feel like Etsy has a lot less red tape to wade through than eBay. For international selling, get comfortable selling in  your own country first, then try some low value items to "safe" countries (sometimes incoming mail gets stuck in customs or disappears *coughItalycough*) and that can be overwhelming to deal with especially for a new seller.

A hard selling lesson is, the customer isn't always automatically right. You'll have to stand up for yourself sometimes and weigh if you're willing to accept a negative feedback for it.

I have sold a lot and some - a distinct but irritating minority - customers are impossible to please and will simply never be happy, or try to demand too much, want an unreasonable discount, extras or shipping concessions.

I usually refund and block. After awhile you can identify this type from a mile away. When this happens, be polite, respectful and honest in all of your communications and take a breath and remember to deal in facts, not emotions.

Decide how you'll handle cases where something goes wrong and it is your fault. My personal selling philosophy is that if it's my fault, it's my responsibility to fix. Additional cost I absorb as an expense of doing business. If a customer returns an item due to my error, I refund original shipping plus return shipping. If a customer returns an item for their own reasons, all shipping charges are their responsibility.

9 times out of 10, if a customer approaches you with a problem, they already have a desired solution in mind.

But remember, 99.9% of transactions will be smooth and go off without a hitch with nice friendly buyers and regular, honest communication can solve *almost* any problem that arises.

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 08:19:12 AM »
Well, for me personally, I don't sell anything on eBay unless it's a high value item or a lot.  It is not worth my time and effort on anything less than about $20 in value.  With fees and packaging and time at the Post Office, it's not worth it to net a few dollars (after all the fees) on a single auction.

This is just my personal experience and other people may have the opposite view!

Post Merge: December 09, 2016, 08:24:48 AM

What I started doing was saying that items were NOT mint and NOT new.  I would say that there may be small flaws and if you were a picky collector to NOT buy from me.

This may sound crazy, but some people will find a tiny flaw that you missed and then it becomes a big issue.  I'd rather just avoid that altogether.  So if I tell people the items are used and NOT mint and there may be flaws I am covered.

I also make sure to say that I am happy to answer questions.  I don't mind checking for specific flaws!  I just don't want to have to go over items with a 'fine tooth comb' in order to make a listing and *still* maybe miss something.

I'm not trying to hide anything, but I try to protect myself with the description.

Offline flying_narwhal

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 09:50:58 AM »
A hard selling lesson is, the customer isn't always automatically right. You'll have to stand up for yourself sometimes and weigh if you're willing to accept a negative feedback for it.

I have sold a lot and some - a distinct but irritating minority - customers are impossible to please and will simply never be happy, or try to demand too much, want an unreasonable discount, extras or shipping concessions.

I usually refund and block. After awhile you can identify this type from a mile away. When this happens, be polite, respectful and honest in all of your communications and take a breath and remember to deal in facts, not emotions.

Decide how you'll handle cases where something goes wrong and it is your fault. My personal selling philosophy is that if it's my fault, it's my responsibility to fix. Additional cost I absorb as an expense of doing business. If a customer returns an item due to my error, I refund original shipping plus return shipping. If a customer returns an item for their own reasons, all shipping charges are their responsibility.

9 times out of 10, if a customer approaches you with a problem, they already have a desired solution in mind.

But remember, 99.9% of transactions will be smooth and go off without a hitch with nice friendly buyers and regular, honest communication can solve *almost* any problem that arises.
^I agree with you. It is really hard when you KNOW a buyer is trying to take advantage of you or trying to pull a scam. I have dealt with a couple of people who were beyond reasoning and these were the ones I knew were scamming. There are people out there who CANNOT be pleased and will work the system (eBay makes it pretty easy for buyers to do this unfortunately). You really have to learn to not take it personally. Having a game plan ahead of time helps in case an issue arises down the road.

Well, for me personally, I don't sell anything on eBay unless it's a high value item or a lot.  It is not worth my time and effort on anything less than about $20 in value.  With fees and packaging and time at the Post Office, it's not worth it to net a few dollars (after all the fees) on a single auction.

This is just my personal experience and other people may have the opposite view!

Post Merge: December 09, 2016, 08:24:48 AM

What I started doing was saying that items were NOT mint and NOT new.  I would say that there may be small flaws and if you were a picky collector to NOT buy from me.

This may sound crazy, but some people will find a tiny flaw that you missed and then it becomes a big issue.  I'd rather just avoid that altogether.  So if I tell people the items are used and NOT mint and there may be flaws I am covered.

I also make sure to say that I am happy to answer questions.  I don't mind checking for specific flaws!  I just don't want to have to go over items with a 'fine tooth comb' in order to make a listing and *still* maybe miss something.

I'm not trying to hide anything, but I try to protect myself with the description.
^Totally understand how it is not worth your time for lower dollar items after all the fees. I am actually a bit on the opposite end, selling more expensive items on eBay always makes me nervous! I refuse to sell any kind of electronics there whatsoever, I've heard too many horror stories.

I do the same thing as you, saying that there may be small flaws that I may miss, sold as-is, not for picky collectors. Also add the phrase that I'm more than happy to answer questions about an item. Best to be as clear as possible to avoid nit-picking later on.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal