collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 202480 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Anime?
« Reply #1065 on: April 07, 2021, 06:34:47 AM »
Seconding the wish for Daiya on DVD in some western format. I don't care too much if it has subs, since the subs on CR for Daiya annoy the heck out of me with the free and loose way they mess with the dialogue at times...(all the times it says someone 'hates' something, for example, when the characters generally use the word for 'annoying' instead. And the unforgivable moments where they get names/score counts/position/whatever wrong...yeah).

But the Japanese DVDs are so expensive. It's like $20 for 3 episodes or something ridiculous. Daiya has over 200 episodes. Nope. Not happening. Hoping CR don't remove it for a long time, because that's going to hurt. I will have to step up buying the manga from Act I if that happens >< I'm still missing a lot of that.

It's also so annoying that Daiya manga Act II is on a break this week after the cliffhanger last week, gah.

OK, Daiya rants out the way (that is what I'm rewatching atm, although I'm also rewatching Alderamin on the Sky, which if I wasn't lazy I could go and read the novels for but I am lazy so I'm stuck with 12 episodes that I enjoy but which don't quite finish anything up). Yet another voice of the many voiced Okamoto Nobuhiko...

On the subject of learning Japanese...I started doing that in 2007 after watching Fushigi Yuugi and being fascinated by Tasuki's accent. I learned later that his voice artist, who I greatly respect, had to be coached to do it by the author, who comes from the Kansai, but at the time it just grabbed me. Kansaiben and Kyotoben dialects still sound really interesting to my ears :D. But I remember that I picked up odd words to begin with, like shashin for photograph, because of one scene where Miaka is trying to explain what a camera is and what it does to her companions.

There are pros and cons from listening to Japanese in anime. The pros are that you get to hear actual Japanese during something you enjoy, so it's more likely to make an impression, and that really helps get your ear in. The cons are that the language used in anime is often very colloquial or full of odd vocabulary you'll never ever use in real life. Even now I have a better vocabulary for all kinds of mystical and mythical things than I do food...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: April 07, 2021, 07:25:30 AM »
Even now I have a better vocabulary for all kinds of mystical and mythical things than I do food...

Let's be real...in some ways that's more important.  :lol:  If you want to know food names watch Gourmet Girl Graffiti and Yumeiro Patissier.  Both focus on cooking-though the second one is mostly sweets/desserts.  :icecream:

I finished Grimgar but now am wondering if they will do a season 2 as it brings up some stuff that never gets resolved.
Spoiler
like where they all came from with no memories

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: April 07, 2021, 07:41:55 AM »
Even now I have a better vocabulary for all kinds of mystical and mythical things than I do food...

Let's be real...in some ways that's more important.  :lol:  If you want to know food names watch Gourmet Girl Graffiti and Yumeiro Patissier.  Both focus on cooking-though the second one is mostly sweets/desserts.  :icecream:

I finished Grimgar but now am wondering if they will do a season 2 as it brings up some stuff that never gets resolved.
Spoiler
like where they all came from with no memories

Eh, I don't really like food words in any language. Food words and numbers are my general nemesis. Weird but true.

My food vocab did improve a lot when I was in Japan, but they do also use a lot of loan words for some food as well. TBH, I'll stick with my monsters, dragons and ayakashi...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: April 07, 2021, 08:02:09 AM »
Seconding the wish for Daiya on DVD in some western format. I don't care too much if it has subs, since the subs on CR for Daiya annoy the heck out of me with the free and loose way they mess with the dialogue at times...(all the times it says someone 'hates' something, for example, when the characters generally use the word for 'annoying' instead. And the unforgivable moments where they get names/score counts/position/whatever wrong...yeah).

But the Japanese DVDs are so expensive. It's like $20 for 3 episodes or something ridiculous. Daiya has over 200 episodes. Nope. Not happening. Hoping CR don't remove it for a long time, because that's going to hurt. I will have to step up buying the manga from Act I if that happens >< I'm still missing a lot of that.

It's also so annoying that Daiya manga Act II is on a break this week after the cliffhanger last week, gah.

OK, Daiya rants out the way (that is what I'm rewatching atm, although I'm also rewatching Alderamin on the Sky, which if I wasn't lazy I could go and read the novels for but I am lazy so I'm stuck with 12 episodes that I enjoy but which don't quite finish anything up). Yet another voice of the many voiced Okamoto Nobuhiko...

On the subject of learning Japanese...I started doing that in 2007 after watching Fushigi Yuugi and being fascinated by Tasuki's accent. I learned later that his voice artist, who I greatly respect, had to be coached to do it by the author, who comes from the Kansai, but at the time it just grabbed me. Kansaiben and Kyotoben dialects still sound really interesting to my ears :D. But I remember that I picked up odd words to begin with, like shashin for photograph, because of one scene where Miaka is trying to explain what a camera is and what it does to her companions.

There are pros and cons from listening to Japanese in anime. The pros are that you get to hear actual Japanese during something you enjoy, so it's more likely to make an impression, and that really helps get your ear in. The cons are that the language used in anime is often very colloquial or full of odd vocabulary you'll never ever use in real life. Even now I have a better vocabulary for all kinds of mystical and mythical things than I do food...

I've been thinking about rewatching Daiya too. :D 

Spoiler
I will be skipping some episodes this time around though.

I also hope CR doesn't remove it for a long time.  It's such a great anime but doesn't seem to get much recognition outside of Japan.  I was surprised to find as much of the music on US iTunes as I did although I think there are a few songs missing.  Finding the character albums on there was tough because of the search terms you have to use to have them come up. 

Okamoto Nobuhiko is Sinha's va?

Ponyfan 

« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 08:06:33 AM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: April 07, 2021, 10:18:33 AM »
Okamoto is indeed Sinha (and Ryousuke), he's also the main in Alderamin.

Yeah...I just got partway into the you know which game, chickened out and skipped to the aftermath. >.>.

I keep trying to rewatch it, and sometimes I get further than other times...but...yeah. No.

It surprises me in a lot of ways that Haikyuu (also good, albeit less heart-destroying) has more recognition in the US than Daiya, being that Daiya is baseball themed. It's less surprising here as although we're not big on volleyball as a national sport as such, we do play it in school. Haikyuu is younger than Daiya and there are a few things in it that feel like respectful nods to Daiya (ie the captain of the main team is called Sawamura, among other things). But I guess there's no accounting for taste.

Maybe it is simply because Haikyuu is less brutal. I dunno. I like Haikyuu, but Daiya is still my top sports series.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: April 07, 2021, 07:44:55 PM »
I've officially started rewatching Dayia :D  I've already noticed some things that I missed the first time.

How could I forget that Okamoto Nobuhiko is also Ryousuke?  :blush:  I think my brain automatically thinks of the Yona characters first and then the other characters they play second.

I was also thinking about that game too and how much I want to watch of it again. 

Ponyfan

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: April 10, 2021, 10:54:07 AM »
I watched Your Name last night.  It had been a while since I'd watched it.  It's still one of my favorite movies.  :lovey:

Ponyfan

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: April 10, 2021, 03:59:44 PM »
I've been watching Free!.  I don't have Season 3 yet, but I bought High Speed and Take Your Marks during the Holiday sales and I'm loving that the characters from High Speed that weren't in the first 2 seasons are showing up in Take Your Marks.  I'm going to have to put Season 3 on my purchase list for this year.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: April 10, 2021, 06:47:17 PM »
I've been watching Free!.  I don't have Season 3 yet, but I bought High Speed and Take Your Marks during the Holiday sales and I'm loving that the characters from High Speed that weren't in the first 2 seasons are showing up in Take Your Marks.  I'm going to have to put Season 3 on my purchase list for this year.

I feel like it's almost necessary to watch those before season 3. Otherwise it kind of comes at you with all these new people. Especially Ikuya :/

I was glad Rin still got to be in season 3.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: April 10, 2021, 09:45:29 PM »
I love Free but Daiya is still my top sports anime.   :)

I have Take Your Marks but not High Speed.  I haven't watched Take Your Marks yet.   

I feel like it's almost necessary to watch those before season 3. Otherwise it kind of comes at you with all these new people. Especially Ikuya :/

I was glad Rin still got to be in season 3.

It seems like there was a new character introduced in each episode of season 3 so far.  I was really confused about Haru's connection to Ikuya at first until it was explained in more detail.

Ponyfan

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #1075 on: April 10, 2021, 10:03:59 PM »
I didn't see anybody mention it in this thread... did anyone else here watch Pui Pui Molcar as it was airing? Or in the past couple weeks since it finished? It's become one of my favorite anime, and I highly recommend it to anyone! It's a 12 episode stop motion children's anime, each episode is under three minutes long (two minutes and forty seconds each, including the short theme song). The stop motion puppets are needle felted and there's no dialog at all, making it very accessible. It takes place in a world where guinea pigs evolved into resembling cars (called "Molcars"), and they get into various hijinks. They have human owners and the molcars are simultaneously their pets as well as their means of transportation. It's super cute and just fills me with pure joy. It became really popular in Japan and some other Asian countries and has gotten decently popular in the west too, though not quite to the extent as it has in the east. It's getting a bunch of cute merchandise made for it now.

Spoiler

I've been preordering merchandise for it and I'm planning on finally making my first ever ita bag, it's going to be for my favorite Molcar, Shiromo.

Spoiler

This one is Shiromo. A different GIF of this same scene was the first time I saw anything Pui Pui Molcar so I'm most attached to him as a result.

GIFs in the spoilers so they don't slow down browsing. :)

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: April 14, 2021, 03:48:06 PM »
I've never watched Pui Molcar but it looks cute.

Thanks to the iTunes sale I was able to all of the original episodes of Fruits Basket for a good price.  :) 

Spoiler
Episode 14 is titled: The adult's episode Yuki's a messed up snake in iTunes  Shouldn't it be Ayame since he's the snake? :ayame: 

I tried looking it up and found the episode listed both ways so now I'm wondering if someone got the title mixed up along the way.?

Ponyfan

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: April 17, 2021, 03:32:36 PM »
Is anyone watching Backflip (Bakuten) ?  I saw a short clip and it looked interesting.  I looked up the vas and the only one I could recognize is Shimono Hiro but when I started looking at the other artists and their characters I noticed that Miyuki and Sanada's vas are there also. 

Ponyfan

Offline ridi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #1078 on: April 19, 2021, 05:43:19 AM »
Pui Pui Molcar is the anime of the decade for me. I love stop-motion animation, and one of my favorite sounds in the world is guinea pig wheeking. My budgies also loved to listen to it  :biggrin:

Wishlist

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: April 19, 2021, 10:20:09 PM »
Started Promised Neverland.  Its good so far. There was one thing i did not see coming
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal